Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR15 platform - Ruger or M&P or ?

Banned
    AR's are mil spec which means all parts interchange and will work. There is no one brand that is better than another. I built all my own AR's with Anderson uppers and lowers. You can get caught up with the name game but it doesn't make one brand any better than another. I've shot them all and my more cost effective AR's are just as accurate as the high dollar units.

Boolit Man
    I would build one before I paid for a name brand factory built one.
    That way you can pick the parts that you want.
    And you can put one together pretty cheap.
    I have seen some kits that with the lower cost no more then $320

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    stag 15 orc will be arriving soon
    And So It Begins!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

stag 15 orc will be arriving soon
    Good choice
    Chrome-lined barrel, big plus
    The BCG is the weakest link, but it may never matter
    Prices I have seen are in the $500s

Boolit Buddy
    IMO, a chrome-lined barrel is the way to go. No break-in period and you can shoot most anything out of it. If you intend to use it as a blaster, then a chrome-lined hammer forged barrel would be good. And by 'blaster' I mean a gun you're going to shoot. A lot. Like practice with it, take some classes with it, try to wear it out. I have a Bushmaster chrome-lined 10-1/2" barrel with 4,500+ rounds and it started to keyhole at 100 yds. But it's not a match rifle, it's a blaster. Good for home defense, a parking lot encounter, civil unrest, whatever. Cheaper barrels can be had for $100 and they'll last for awhile but accuracy will suffer as the throat wears. But then for a hundred bucks, you could change the barrel out every few years. Stainless barrels shoot good but I only have them on my service rifles (highpower matches).

I've got PSA, Stag, Rock River, Bushmaster, Spike's Tactical, SGW and Colt lowers. Uppers from Anderson, Colt, Aero Precision, Bushmaster, Rock River...they're all about the same. Fit and finish vary between manufacturers but almost all parts interchange with one another. Bolt carriers are pretty much the same though I might be nervous about a $39 BCG in the gun I keep next to the bed. I've broken bolts before and when that happens, you are out of commission. Buy a good BCG (bolt carrier group).

Good luck with your decision.

Banned

in doing my research i also felt a chrome lined barrel would more than suffice my needs, so hence the stag 15 orc. the gun is at my FFL and will soon get it nikon glassed and rise trigger decked out.

Vendor Sponsor

PSA often bundles choice parts with their standard items, which you can keep the choice stuff and resell the unused unfired standard items, and in the end you wind up with a really nice PSA with the enhanced polished trigger, nickel boron BCG, the exact barrel and forend you want, all to put on a $39 lower and you won't have quite a bottom of the barrel build, but you won't have a ton of money in it either. This is money spent where you can appreciate it most.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

the biggest part of my ar15 acquisition is dealing with my state's anti-gun laws. stag arms made it easiest for me and a $575/shipped price tag isn't that bad a ticket to the "assault" rifle show. all i needed to do is add a sight system, and feed it rounds. i went a step further with the addition of a rise 140 trigger. no question there are cheaper (and maybe better?) alternatives, but most of those package deals can't/won't get shipped to nj.

Banned

stag 15 orc with nikon glass ...

My niece and her family are moving here from New Jersey this week. They will get an AR-15 for a housewarming present to be sure. I'm glad you figured out a way to get one where you're at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

we're now hearing rumblings from our bucky beaver governor that he's looking to ban all "assault weapons". i can't wait for the day i'm "back home in san antone".

Banned

BUIS added, Rise drop-in trigger, and a better CQB 1-6x24 TG scope.

and a brass trap.

Boolit Master

Nice one...now, build more uppers in other calibers

Boolit Master

Banned

i think i might have found an ar15 itch i didn't realize i had, and what needed scratchin'. swapped the stag upper carbine for a .223wylde rifle barrel upper with a new BCG and charger. just stuck on the trinity force BUIS while awaiting the swfa s/s 10x42 glass to arrive ... and then the real fun begins.

Banned

good choice. before I started building my own my favorites were stags. Colt quality or even better at a few hundred bucks cheaper. Probably a step up from the psa, bushmaster, smith, dmps, andersons and olys. But truthfully my stags don't do a single thing better then my self built psa guns and like was said you get a feeling of accomplishment doing it and learn what makes them tick and if something breaks you can fix about any broken part in less then 5 minutes.

Banned

i think i might have found an ar15 itch i didn't realize i had, and what needed scratchin'. swapped the stag upper carbine for a .223wylde rifle barrel upper with a new BCG and charger. just stuck on the trinity force BUIS while awaiting the swfa s/s 10x42 glass to arrive ... and then the real fun begins.

is that the bottom to my soon to be new top?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    is that the bottom to my soon to be new top?
    yep! looks like that upper arrives at ya today, too.

as soon as i got that stag 15 orc it was like "where have i been?" with regards to ar's in general. now it's the only white powder rifle i own, the rest are all charcoal burners with barrels that get either mouth or butt fed. i totally liked the stag carbine, but soon realized i really wanted a heavy barrel rifle version for the kinda shooting i do. hence the swap out of the stag upper for the new custom upper. there is a good chance i'll want another ar15, but a lightweight carbine with red dot and BUIS, and only when i move out of this hell hole state (soon!). i'll build that one from parts. the ar is a most ingenious platform. it's just an amazing all-American firearm. love it. now i have a complete progression of American long guns - 18th century flintlock smoothbore and rifle, 19th century sharps and roller, 20th century ar15. what's next?

Boolit Master

next thing will be a binary trigger
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I like any thing that is good, safe and economical. I even like my bca barrel because its more accurate then I can shoot!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast