Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why no HF red?

Boolit Master
    Don't know why you guys don't like HF Red, it's as good as any coating out there! I also use Smokes products, have 3 different colors on hand & use them but they don't work a bit better than HF Red & I've shot a LOT of it in many, many different revolvers. Easy to apply, groups are small & I've taken a lot of game with HF Red bullets. Six different animals last year with 6 different revolvers. Deer, antelope & elk.

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Onebad06vtx View Post
    Cant seem to locate HF red powder.
    Anyone know why its no for sale anymore?
    Oh well,I will just order some from pbtp.
    Lucky you! That stuff is junk! Smoke has the right stuff.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Where's your groups? And some animals.....Junk............

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    just confirmed at my local HF store today - Red is no longer catalogued. Anyone else know of a red PC that works as well with the shake and bake method? I use Eastwood Ford Light Blue to tumble, but I'm trying to keep pistol boolits red and rifle boolits blue.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post

Dick
    How dare you post pictures and results using HF Red attempting to derail this HF bashing thread! Look how ugly those bullets look! No way they can be accurate! We all know that only the most spectacular perfect looking bullets shoot accurately! HOW DARE YOU!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield0612 View Post
    How dare you post pictures and results using HF Red attempting to derail this HF bashing thread! Look how ugly those bullets look! No way they can be accurate! We all know that only the most spectacular perfect looking bullets shoot accurately! HOW DARE YOU!!
    Agreed. Lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Dick
    Like I said, lucky you. I and a lot of other people have had the devil of a time getting it to coat. I wont use the stuff but what you decide to use is your business. I was about to give up on pc'ing till I tried some decent powder. Maybe-ok- probably, you are better at the process that I am, but the groups are not necessarily an indicator of how well the stuff coats.Attachment 245151[ATTACH=CONFIG]245153Attachment 245152
    If it's groups you want, here you go but they prove not one thing. I might be a bit jaded by the fact that HF is a giant Chinese warehouse although the powder is made in India. As often quoted here, YMMV. Junk
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    As long as you powder coat your bullets in the winter, HF Red works fine. I still have a lb of it and when it goes to $200 per lb (like johnsons floor wax) I might part with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    IIRC, I read somewhere that HF is discontinuing sales of their powder-coat guns and supplies. Next-door neighbor's oldest son manages local HF, will ask if he knows anything about that.

Bill
    Was at HF this morning; Brandon confirmed that his store no longer stocks PC equipment or supplies.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    From the looks of some of those loads they were shot in rifles! But, again I didn't put this on here to argue with anyone just to say that it must have something to do with humid weather, don't know but I powder coat all year long, although I let me bullets get room temp before coating & I've yet to have a problem of any kind. Those of you that have some HF red "junk" laying around, I'll be more than happy to pay the shipping plus what you paid for it. If it's junk I'm sure enjoying a lot of nice groups plus deer, elk, bear & antelope. Six of them last year with 6 shots, all with that junky HF red. Oops, not the bear, 4 deer, one antelope & a late season elk. Six different revolvers, one was scoped.

Dick

Boolit Master

Don't know why you guys don't like HF Red, it's as good as any coating out there! I also use Smokes products, have 3 different colors on hand & use them but they don't work a bit better than HF Red & I've shot a LOT of it in many, many different revolvers. Easy to apply, groups are small & I've taken a lot of game with HF Red bullets. Six different animals last year with 6 different revolvers. Deer, antelope & elk.

Dick
    I hate to hijack but have to ask, have you done anything to your Blackhawk, cylinder throating in particular? I have a few Ruger single action revolvers so I'm always interested in making them shoot better.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    If you're talking to me, all of my Ruger 45's have been reamed to .4525" except for the last one I bought a couple of years ago. It's an OM convertible & it shoots so good I haven't even checked it. Killed a muley with it last fall at 61 yds & it was shooting great on paper.....with HF red, so I haven't changed anything. Oops, 260 gr Keith & 18.5 grs of 2400. It's a 4 5/8"s shorty.

Dick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogmower View Post
    just confirmed at my local HF store today - Red is no longer catalogued. Anyone else know of a red PC that works as well with the shake and bake method? I use Eastwood Ford Light Blue to tumble, but I'm trying to keep pistol boolits red and rifle boolits blue.
    https://roseyspowdercoating.com/coll...ts/astatic-red

I use this one all the time and it makes AWESOME boolits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	astatic.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	245417
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    I don't get all the negative HF red comments. It was in the 90's this week, humidity high, heat index 103, slight breeze. Used HF red and Epay yellow all coated with HF electrostatic gun. Nice thick coat, only markings were my fault when one would tip over when putting the tray in the oven. I was consistently 1 tray ahead of the oven. my suggestion is if you have trouble with shake and bake try a gun. My only complaint with HF red is I only picked up 2 lbs of the stuff. I haven't checked back to see if there is any left. Yes, I have some smoke paint too. The smoke and Epay paints do seem to coat faster but not necessarily any better, but you can only tell the speed if you switch during the same coating session. Plus another plus is I got my Red at HF for $5/lb with all the coupons ect.,yellow Epay was $15/lb free shipping, I honestly don't remember what I paid for Smokes because I bought multiple colors and that was a while back. Just work with what you have and try to enjoy the process... people!

Boolit Grand Master

The best thing that happened to me is that HF would not ship to Hawaii. I got some powder from Smoke and never looked back.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    https://roseyspowdercoating.com/coll...ts/astatic-red

I use this one all the time and it makes AWESOME boolits.
    I wanted to try some Neon Yellow from these folks but why is shipping $14 for one pound? The shipping is more than some of the powders.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Lucky you! That stuff is junk! Smoke has the right stuff.
    I have to agree. If HF red stuck half way descent like what your bullets look like I would be using it.

Great shooting BTW!!!

I’ve tried two different jugs of HF red...even the dead of winter when it was so dry in my house I could start a fire using the static electricity from my socks... and that HF powder would not stick. You must have bought the only jug in the planet that tumble coats. If you look at my home page at some of my pretty boolits they were all tumbled with smokes PC and look as if I used a spray can on them. My boolits reminds me of a paint job on a ‘57 Chevy that just won a blue ribbon at a car show.

Most tumble coat and there lies the problem as HF PC’s powder granules are to big to tumble as I’ve been told by my #1 PC supplier...Smoke....when EF Hutton talks(smoke), I listen.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-23-2019 at 06:33 PM.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well the last time I was in Harbor Freight they had a gun or two some black white and yellow no red. I did not asked anyone about incoming stock or if they stopped carrying it any longer. I guess I should pick up the black since I PC other things.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    OK fellas, I'm going to show you one more time! I did this a while back on another forum, not even knowing at first if it would work or not because some plastics don't coat very well & we all know that HF Red is the worst thing out there for shake & bake right?
    This is a simple quart mayonnaise that my wife had just emptied, I washed it out good, dried it, threw in some various bullets & a small amount of that "worthless" HF Red powder & shook it for about 30 seconds. Then into the colander & into the toaster oven for 12 minutes at 400 degrees. I've already used almost 4 lbs of HF Red, plus some of Smokes Jet Black which I like very much. It's just that I like this "junk" HF Red better. AND for about the sixth time, it coats great! Just maybe the problem ISN"T the powder!!!

Dick

Boolit Master

OK fellas, I'm going to show you one more time! I did this a while back on another forum, not even knowing at first if it would work or not because some plastics don't coat very well & we all know that HF Red is the worst thing out there for shake & bake right?
    This is a simple quart mayonnaise that my wife had just emptied, I washed it out good, dried it, threw in some various bullets & a small amount of that "worthless" HF Red powder & shook it for about 30 seconds. Then into the colander & into the toaster oven for 12 minutes at 400 degrees. I've already used almost 4 lbs of HF Red, plus some of Smokes Jet Black which I like very much. It's just that I like this "junk" HF Red better. AND for about the sixth time, it coats great! Just maybe the problem ISN"T the powder!!!

Dick
    +1 ^^^ Heard & seen a lot of horror stories about HF red, been using it even during the humid months here in Houston & it works for me...too bad they're no longer available.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast