Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why no HF red?

Boolit Master

I don't do a ton of powder coating but HF red always worked fine for me. I stopped at the local HF a while back and I noticed it was on clearance, the Manager let me have them for 2.00 if I bought all four. So if anyone is short and needs some, PM me.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    OK fellas, I'm going to show you one more time! I did this a while back on another forum, not even knowing at first if it would work or not because some plastics don't coat very well & we all know that HF Red is the worst thing out there for shake & bake right?
    This is a simple quart mayonnaise that my wife had just emptied, I washed it out good, dried it, threw in some various bullets & a small amount of that "worthless" HF Red powder & shook it for about 30 seconds. Then into the colander & into the toaster oven for 12 minutes at 400 degrees. I've already used almost 4 lbs of HF Red, plus some of Smokes Jet Black which I like very much. It's just that I like this "junk" HF Red better. AND for about the sixth time, it coats great! Just maybe the problem ISN"T the powder!!!

Dick
    HF powder must like Idaho because I can shake it all day long here in WI no matter what time of year and it won’t stick. Yours still looks spotty BTW. I can see a lot of exposed lead on your boolits. I realize the PC in theory runs over the clear looking spots but that also causes uneven build up which is NOT good for longer range accuracy as I and many members have seen with out own eyes. I consider the way your bullets are coats rejects...I’m too picky...and the ones that are completely covered and as smooth as silk are my hunting/ accuracy boolits. The ones that look like yours I plink at close range or give them away. No affense, it’s just I hold my art form as well as a lot of others here to a higher standard. Don’t get me wrong your will shoot just fine but I like PRETTIER boolits.lol. That’s why I use smokes clear for 100 yards and beyond. Goes on even and smooth as silk even coating after baking. That baked on HF red looks and feels like granite compared to it. At 25 yards shooting out of a pistol...who cares. I can take the exact same batch of boolits (that HF red won’t stick to)and tumble shake theme in smoke powder for 15/30 seconds and have a WAY better coat than what you’ve shown in your photo as do 100’s of others of our members here. Check out the PD’d boolits sticky and you’ll see what I mean. Not trying to Bach the powder you have grown to love but it just doesn’t work for most here and there’s no manic you personally figured out how to make it stick imo...you just received a finer powder grained batch of powder vs most of us that bought it. Eventually they’ll sell a bad batch like most of us have encountered. If you own a spray gun it doesn’t matter and will go on. Not trying to pick a fight but go on my home page and look at some of the boolits I tumble coated with smokes powder and you’ll see what I mean...and I’m not any more or less talented here than most. Smokes just corners ALOT better and more evenly. For $20 order a pound and some BBs. Make sure to get some clear.

My boolits look like yours on a really bad, high humidity day day here in WI...and I get frustrated as I’m use to seeing them look perfectly coated and even like a work of art 99% of the time any other time I shake em with smoke’s powder
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-26-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Why no HF red?

I think Triplebeards was talking about this....Smoke’s Carolina blue. I am also saving clear coated - so smooth and uniform - as my “best”

Boolit Master
    Guys, I'm loving this! You can't admit it! My bullets come out perfect, every single time & they shoot good at every distance I shoot them at. I've said before, if I thought something else was better I'd use it, simple answer, it isn't, period!
    If any of you subscribe to American Handgunner look back at some of Mark Hampton's articles about his 41 magnums using HF red bullets in his 2 different guns at different distances. The 230 gr & the 250 gr red bullets out shot every jacketed bullet he tested. Guess where those bullets came from...... Idaho. Another gun writer, John Taffin just happened to have very good success with the very same red bullets in different calibers, they also came from me.
    If they would have shot worse they would have said so. Gunsmiths, FBI agents, undercover drug cops & quite a few other people love my bullets, why, because they shoot very, very good. They've been used all over the world. I'm wondering if you really looked at the groups, I can provide many, many more plus a whole lot of big game taken with them, can you?

Dick

Sixshoot,

Im not saying HF PC doesn’t work for you...your excellent groups and shooting capabilities clearly show it!

...It’s just your boolits aren’t as pretty as mine.

This is smokes red tumbled...and I have two different loads that shoot sub MOA at 100 yards out of my 77/44 with these smoooooth Boolits. But we both know it takes a lot more than smooth boolits to shoot sub MOA...it’s just part of the equation. The pictures and load data is on my home page along with a lot of other PCd boolits I tumbled ALL with smokes powder. Feel free to check them out. I’m no pro either, only been casting and PCing for about 2 years now. So if I can get coverage like this anyone can imo.

Carolina blue and clear are excellent powders as well. Smokes PC covers better tumbled than HF PC dose out of a electric spray gun imo. It’s been proven by several members here time and time again. Check out the PC section of members photos of boolits they posted.

Here are some of my smoke’s red I tumbled in a dollar store container...

See what I mean about 57’ Chevy that just won a car show for its paint job.

Look at my smokes red I tumbled VS yours...and tell me yours are perfect again.lol

Sorry, I know it’s going to rile you and hurt your feelings...but the truth hurts.

In all reality there ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with your PC as you have clearly shown us with your shooting capabilities. It’s just some powders coat a lot better than others....and if I would have had coverage like yours look the first time I tried HF PC I probably would have never ordered from smoke. My experience with HF PC would put a few red freckles on my boolits whether I tumbled them for 30 seconds or 15 minutes. Cold boolits, warm boolits, cleaned boolits...it didn't matter so I commend you for figuring a way on how to get it to stick tumbling. So if you are doing what your doing with HF think of how much better your boolits would look with a better quality PC.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-27-2019 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Hey, we're all having fun with this & it doesn't bother me a bit. Fact is my bullets look every bit as good as yours. The one's I showed were in a new bottle & I did them for about 30 seconds, if I were doing them for real I'd look at them & then give them another few seconds (which I do) and they come out great. And after I bake & "size" them they are a beautiful red, just like yours. The color may be a little different shade of red but no two red apples are the same red either.
    I have zero problems getting 100% coverage. Now, which would you rather have a beautiful bullet or a beautiful accurate bullet, mine are both.
    I'm not showing results from a rifle or a TC pistol, these are revolvers guys, come on! I have a friend here from Oklahoma for a week, he just lost his wife & I invited him up for a few days to let things simmer down back home. We've had a great time & he leaves tomorrow. We've spent a lot of time at the range & I only shoot iron sighted sixguns. You will see a few photo's next, one is him sitting in our chairs, I always shoot from the Elmer Keith reclining position, NOT from a bench. You will see the actual distance to the target (65 yds) I'm shooting my OM Ruger 41 shorty with those trashy red 210 HP's. On the target he's standing behind I actually shot that target with my Ruger 32 magnum with trashy 100 gr plain base slugs. I shoot between my knees only. Want to see some elk, moose, bears, african, alaskan game?

Dick

Looks fun!

Boolit Master
    When a bullet looks good flying past me I will post my thoughts right here, you can all count on it. But do not hold your breath ‘cause I do not plan on looking it over too closely as I plan on ducking first .... a first hand inspection is optional.

My only experience with PC is with Smokes powder and it was very good .... especially for a rookie!

It is too bad that HF is phasing out their powder for the folks that swear by it, perhaps the folks that dislike theirs could assist the folks like HF and are still wanting more by doing some bartering?

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I've said I would gladly buy anyone's HF Red & pay the shipping if they are willing to part with it, thanks guys!

Dick

Boolit Master
    Here's a few animals from last year. First few are some crop damage deer. #1 muley is with my bisley 41 magnum a 42 yds, neck shot, #2 antelope was 73 yds with my 8 shot Blackhawk 327, #3 muley was 58 yds heart shot with my bisley 45 Colt, next muley was 61 yds with my OM Ruger shorty 45 double lung shot. I also shot a Montana white tail at 117 yds that I have on video with my 10.5" Ruger 357 Maximum, all with trashy HF Red bullets.
    There are a few other animals thrown in just to look at, all six gun kills, both bucks around 100 yds & the cow elk at 168 yds with a witness shooting her with a range finder, double lung, one shot. The Wart Hog was a bit closer!

Dick

I threw my jugs out last year or I would have sent them to you.

Very cool photos!

Boolit Master
    Dang it! I would have bought it! Thanks anyway.

Dick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123