Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
PBcastco MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why no HF red?

Boolit Man

Why no HF red?

Cant seem to locate HF red powder.
    Anyone know why its no for sale anymore?
    Oh well,I will just order some from pbtp.

Boolit Master
    Smoke on this forum is the man to get powder from much much better than HF powder. Just go to vendors for the info.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onebad06vtx View Post
    Cant seem to locate HF red powder.
    Anyone know why its no for sale anymore?
    Oh well,I will just order some from pbtp.
    I read that on here a while back, so when in local HF store looked, nope no RED.
    Charter Member #148

HF sent me a email saying it was no longer going to be stocked

If you are using a gun to spray it. I have a bottle of it that I don't use. I switched over to Smoke's powder for my shake and bake. Send me a PM and I will send it your way if you want it.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

We have a local HF store now and I been checking for the red it appears they have a slot for it but I have not seen any on the shelf yet it would be the color the worked the best lol.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    I talked to the manager at the local HF. He looked on the computer and it was still available but in short supply due to increased sales. A lot of people buying it to coat bullets would be my guess.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I talked to the manager at the local HF. He looked on the computer and it was still available but in short supply due to increased sales. A lot of people buying it to coat bullets would be my guess.
    Maybe the Chinese are keeping it all to powder coat their RED STARS!
    Charter Member #148

Any other PC is better than HF's PC. Buy from Smoke..... I have a bunch of colors that I bought when I was PCing cups from a couple of vendors. It all works way better than the HF that I had.

Boolit Master

IIRC, I read somewhere that HF is discontinuing sales of their powder-coat guns and supplies. Next-door neighbor's oldest son manages local HF, will ask if he knows anything about that.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Any other PC is better than HF's PC. Buy from Smoke..... I have a bunch of colors that I bought when I was PCing cups from a couple of vendors. It all works way better than the HF that I had.
    This is great advice. The price is a little more, but the cost per bullet is minuscule.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Go with Smoke. His powders are the best!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I have to say HF powder is the bottom of the line compared to what other powders I have used but its easy to pick up if a HF store is local
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    l am an lndustrial Painter now retired.. Harbor Freight Red works fine for me... Even recovered a few fired PC boolits. They're still R E D too

For shake n bake the only HF color that really works is red. I understand the other HF colors will work if you use the electrostatic gun to apply them. Just not shake n bake.

HF PC does not even remotely compare to the quality of smokes product. Further he tests the colors he sells with shake and bake so a couple of colors that don't work with that application method are noted. Considering that the cost of PC is such a minor part of the cost of a loaded round buying quality isn't really going to cost you anything when spread out over all the bullets you will coat. I only use HF red at all because I have a bottle I bought and figure I should live so long that I manage to use it up.

One caliber that I tend to make in larger quantities for paper punching & berm blasting is the only place I use HF red. Not going to waste it since I bought it and don't care if the bullets are especially great looking. Just functional.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    l am an lndustrial Painter now retired.. Harbor Freight Red works fine for me... Even recovered a few fired PC boolits. They're still R E D too
    It makes a thinner coat than others. Smokes is far better....BUT it works just fine as long as you can get a pretty good coat.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up some HF Black and decided to give it a try... lncomplete coverage and very difficult to size altho the boolits were still WARM.. No comparison between the Black and RED... Black is not near as tough. Some actually came off during sizing.. Never had this problem with the RED when sizing soon after baking. The real test will be at the range tomorrow... lf l get leading l know the Black is a BUST.. They had some WHITE in stock yesterday. l may try some of it if there is still any left. l believe the problem with sizing the Black can be traced to the dulling agent l think it increases friction. 0nly way to prove the friction theory would be with a chronograph.. An instrument l DON'T have.
    lts a shame HF dropped their best color for boolits. l think they may have alienated some of their customers by dropping the PC paints... Esp lf it were politically motivated

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sw282 View Post
    Picked up some HF Black and decided to give it a try... lncomplete coverage and very difficult to size altho the boolits were still WARM.. No comparison between the Black and RED... Black is not near as tough. Some actually came off during sizing.. Never had this problem with the RED when sizing soon after baking. The real test will be at the range tomorrow... lf l get leading l know the Black is a BUST.. They had some WHITE in stock yesterday. l may try some of it if there is still any left. l believe the problem with sizing the Black can be traced to the dulling agent l think it increases friction. 0nly way to prove the friction theory would be with a chronograph.. An instrument l DON'T have.
    lts a shame HF dropped their best color for boolits. l think they may have alienated some of their customers by dropping the PC paints... Esp lf it were politically motivated
    Don't bother with white either. The only HF colors that work are red and yellow. Make sure you bake em long enough too.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Don't bother with white either. The only HF colors that work are red and yellow. Make sure you bake em long enough too.
    And black...........................if you ESPC only like I now do.

No big loss if HF gets out of the business. Much better ESPC equipment out there and powders too!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    Powder Buy The Pound, RAL colors, TGIC Free, sort by price - lowest, look at qualities for gloss
    https://www.powderbuythepound.com/ra...eele-blue.html
    ...is another way of doing it. That blue will stay under 1.5 all day in a .308, 311466, 17/2400 - no check.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast