Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Felix....reviewing his posts.

Felix....reviewing his posts.

Don't know if this thread belongs here but...

I've begun re-reading all of Felix' posts over the years...with a giant lump in my throat. What a great guy, contributor and mentor to us all. I've got a cpl dozen of his memorable musings saved on my "don't lose this" drive", and I regret that I never thanked him in a PM or here in public.

It's a thought for us all....let's not get so wrapped up in the technical aspects of our hobby, that we forget the great guys that made it so interesting. Thank 'em while they're still with us.

Rest in peace Felix, the old friend, that I never met. You were one of the very best.

Best regards to all of you, Rod

Smile

Amen to what Rodfac said!!!

Boolit Master
    I sure him, he was unique, and one of a kind!

To me in the few times I've coresponded with him he would give you the answer to your question but not in a direct way he would put it in a way that would make you think about how it all works together . He was a very smart man . In my own mind I jokingly and respectfully referred to him as Yoda from Star Wars
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I went back to look at his posts a couple weeks ago. A good education for anyone.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Still one of my proudest moments is when he complimented me on one of my posts.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I was lucky to have had a number of phone conversations with him over the years. I never had the opportunity to meet him though.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

A lot of wisdom has been left here if we take the time to look back at the writings of the great men that posted here on this forum. I came late to the party and sadly some were near their end. So glad they left us with their knowledge in the written form. I miss the running cat and the TNT bomb. While we are remembering, I'd like to mention another. The great Ken Mollohan posting as Molly. I'm sure each of us have favorites on "Heavens Range" Gp

I totally agree...Felix had a firm handle on lubes for sure...I learned so much from him (from the old Castpics days)....I still use FWFL on all my 30 cal + boolits. I learned of is passing last year....he is missed for sure.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I bought a couple of Kimber 1911s for him when I was at West Point. He asked me to put several hundreds rounds of FMJ through them since I had access to military ammo. This was when the Army couldn’t get enough 9mm with the war in Afghanistan but the pistol team was full of 45. His son Nick came up to spend some time with us and carried the pistols home IFRC. He sold me a three screw Blackawk just before I went to Iraq in 2006. I still hoard the Big Melt Felix Lube he and Sundog made.

Boolit Buddy
    Before I joined this august organization, I read virtually all of the archive. The information was truly impressive. And then I read the entire thread on Felix lube and couldn't believe the language, raw anger and bare knuckle fighting on display. Felix of course was a perfect gentleman. Truly one of a kind and a better man than me.

Felix was a fine gentleman, and one of the first I spent much time chatting with when I first joined this sight 1/1/2006. We exchanged phone numbers and had several nice talks via the phone. Of course, it was my seeking his advice on lube, alloys, etc. Finally, during my travels I made my way through his town (Ft. Smith, Arkansas). I just had to meet him in person. He welcomed me and my traveling friend for the weekend (we'd been to a shoot down in Arkansas). That's been 10 years ago at least. I still have a triangle shaped ingot from the MOA smelts he gifted me with. I'll probably never use it, just keep it as a memento to his memory. A fine gentleman and a wealth of knowledge.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Rest well Felix...

Boolit Grand Master

A good man, I still miss him.
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

When I an searching for info, and run across a thread where he has made a comment or comments, I always pay special attention to his writing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I enjoyed and leaned from all his posts. Sadly we've lost a lot of fine members.

There was a fairly small group of contributors who all landed here at Cast Boolits when this site was established many years ago, and Felix was among them. One policy that kept this place on track was zero tolerance for "flaming", which to escape it had been one big reason why a bunch of us came here, since knowledge, reason, and education are not compatible with out of control egos, one upsmanship, anger, and revenge.

I had "rubbed elbows" with Felix and the other core group members for a few years at other sites. I won't mention much more because this place speaks for itself, except to say this place is an oasis of calmness, reason, and credibility because of guys like Felix who made sense, and offered ideas that yielded good, useable, and repeatable results.

Felix was a high school science teacher, and that is how he did things. Probably one big difference between a school classroom and here is we come here voluntarily, but high school students don't always have a choice, so Felix's true students here for the most part gave him the respect a good teacher deserves.

Pretty interesting, the little black kitty-cat running with the "bowling ball" with a lit fuse that was his trademark is Felix The Cat. Yeah, and we all know that ain't no bowling ball, too! Felix The Cat was created as a newspaper comic strip and movie cartoon character one hundred years ago in 1919, and the image of Felix The Cat carrying a lit bomb was used starting in the late 1920s on two United States Navy bombers. That same image is still used by the Navy's VFA-31 Strike Fighter Squadron. For what it's worth, "felix" is derived from Latin for happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails felix finished it.jpg  
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

I don't recall ever speaking with him, but early on recognized is posts were ones to pay attention to.