WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not Again! More Property Damage!

Banned
    Shaune509, the answer is immunity and award fee caps. Ever wonder how so many people sue the government, yet the government never goes out of business?
    That’s why.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I know its a pain in the butt and very upsetting but I let the insurance company replace bushes and trees before I look out my front door and see someone crying beside the road over a lost love one or asking me if its ok to leave flowers or a cross in the yard. Placing something like a big rock or barrier that may cause that person or persons death may be more worth in the end.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    I know its a pain in the butt and very upsetting but I let the insurance company replace bushes and trees before I look out my front door and see someone crying beside the road over a lost love one or asking me if its ok to leave flowers or a cross in the yard. Placing something like a big rock or barrier that may cause that person or persons death may be more worth in the end.
    Or do NOTHING, and one day it's my wife getting the mail, or one of my grandchildren taken out with the bushes! I have yet to turn up a single case of a homeowner being successfully sued by an automobile crash victim because they left the roadway and crashed into an obstacle off the roads right of way. Tennessee had no set back from the highway right of way, but I will probably give another 2 to 3 feet from the line. I haven't decided what to do opposite my home, but I'm planning building planters that will also act as a diverter.

Banned

call your lawyer and ask him, get the scoop on your local laws and rules.

Arm chair warriors and arm chair lawyers are not who you want to take advice from on topics like this.

Just preface all of the advice you get on the internet with "I slept at a Holiday Inn last night..."

Banned

Not Again! More Property Damage!

Hey Blammer—
    I said the same thing. Check your local laws.
    Glad we agree!

Banned

well at least two armchair lawyers agree.

Boolit Master
    if lawyers agreed ,they wouldnt make any money,cause there would be no courtcases.

Boolit Master
    Two folks have had accidents in about the same place within 90 days. Then you install planters to protect your property. Couple months later a car hits a planter and someone is seriously injured. If you don’t think you’ll get sued you’re out of your mind. If you think any loss or settlement will be covered by your insurance, you’re out of your mind. What you’re doing is taking someone else’s insured liability and making it your uninsured liability. Sure you’ll have save a few bushes and a tree, but you might lose the house and the retirement fund, and you’ll know that while you protected your wife from some potential risk while getting the mail, your actions directly injured or killed someone. When this all happens you will not view the outcome as a win.

The point of ranting is to get the dumb emotional **** out of your head and then move forward in a thoughtful and productive manner. I hope that the thread has been useful in that regard.

Boolit Master
    If I hadn't gotten the dumb emotional **** out of my head, I'd be sinking 8 inch x 6 foot steel pipes 3 feet deep, 5 feet apart, and filling them with concrete! I'm looking at protecting the most vulnerable high risk areas!

The fella I bought the place from stopped by yesterday. His comment, "I see your luck is about the same as mine was, we had one almost come through the front door one night." Luck has nothing to do with it! It's distracted driving, drinking/ drugging and driving, and speeding. The road is perfectly safe if you drive the speed limit and pay a minimum of attention, btw the speed limit is 40mph. If your bringing a law suit you had better be able to prove you sober and at or under the speed limit!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    If I hadn't gotten the dumb emotional **** out of my head, I'd be sinking 8 inch x 6 foot steel pipes 3 feet deep, 5 feet apart, and filling them with concrete! I'm looking at protecting the most vulnerable high risk areas!

The fella I bought the place from stopped by yesterday. His comment, "I see your luck is about the same as mine was, we had one almost come through the front door one night." Luck has nothing to do with it! It's distracted driving, drinking/ drugging and driving, and speeding. The road is perfectly safe if you drive the speed limit and pay a minimum of attention, btw the speed limit is 40mph. If your bringing a law suit you had better be able to prove you sober and at or under the speed limit!
    LOL. Yeah I’m not sure that someone driving over the speed limit while intoxicated and texting their drinking buddy could win a civil judgement, but they or their family could make you **** miserable and there are plenty of lawyers that would take the case and plenty of judges that would let it play out over months or years.

Without a drawing or pictures it’s hard to suggest solutions, but reflectors on sticks are cheap and quick. Maybe get their attention before they get into trouble. Put them 10’ off the road and slowly taper them towards the road as they approach your property, might subliminally keep them steering towards center.

Boolit Master
    Sure funny you see business sink 6" heavy wall pipe with concrete to stop any vehicles from going thru the doors or other parts of the business. Matter of fact our Napa auto parts store had it happen to them last year. Building sets between two one ways streets. The road coming to the building is two way traffic then spilts to the right around the building to begin one way. The left is the other one way then in to the two way traffic. They had a person supposedly pass out ran right into the from of the building with half of the vehicle through the wall brick wall. Any way the next week they installed 6" heavy wall pipe filled full of concrete every 4' all the way across the from of the building.

Boolit Man
    Had a house in the area I grew up in, set in a hard 90 degree corner (20 mph). After two cars ended up in their living room, they put up a hellastout rock wall. no more cars in the living room. This was in the 70's, in Colorado. YMMV
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    Sure funny you see business sink 6" heavy wall pipe with concrete to stop any vehicles from going thru the doors or other parts of the business. Matter of fact our Napa auto parts store had it happen to them last year. Building sets between two one ways streets. The road coming to the building is two way traffic then spilts to the right around the building to begin one way. The left is the other one way then in to the two way traffic. They had a person supposedly pass out ran right into the from of the building with half of the vehicle through the wall brick wall. Any way the next week they installed 6" heavy wall pipe filled full of concrete every 4' all the way across the from of the building.
    Funny how the people that think protecting your property and life from idiot drivers is somehow legally wrong for a private citizen when businesses do it all the time on their property.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Maybe see if one of those solar powered signs can be put up notifying of the danger? Like others said I would speak to an attorney. It is a shame we have to think that way instead of just putting up a permanent barrier. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Funny how the people that think protecting your property and life from idiot drivers is somehow legally wrong for a private citizen when businesses do it all the time on their property.
    Not worth arguing about, but if you think about the risk to a driver hitting a concrete filled pipe vs hitting a brick building, the difference seems small. Compare that to hitting a concrete filled pipe vs skidding across some lawn and hitting bushes and small trees. In the first you don’t significantly increase risk to anyone and significantly reduce potential damage. In the second you significantly increase risk to the driver and don’t significantly reduce the potential damage (the value of the items is small, there is no lost business income, etc).

I’d say that putting poles up to protect your house is probably fine, but putting them up to protect bushes and a mailbox probably creates litigation risk that outweighs the benefits.

BTW, I’m not expressing an opinion as to this being right or wrong, its just the way that it is. Personally I like the argument that they were trespassing and so it’s all their fault even if you install barriers and mines on your property and outside the right-of-way, but nobody asks me.

Boolit Buddy
    I drove thru town a differrent way today while doing errands and saw something interesting.

A couple of months ago the city was resurverying this corner on a street.
    A 45 degree left turn, at 20 mph

A Church is right at that corner and yes several times a year a car will go thru and over the sidewalk into the parking lot of the Church, straight toward the building used for the child care.

What did I see today was a single height, row of old heavy equipment tires all laid out along the sidewalk on the Churches property with flower pots growing in all the tires. Since they are single height if a car would hit the tire it would cause damage to car no doubt but would also move the tire as well.

Interesting way to recycle the tires and they even had started to paint the tires nice colors to match the flowers.

I know how this city works and you have to get a permit to repaint your house, so the tire flower pots was interesting.

Had to take a double look at the new flower pots.

JW

Vendor Sponsor

30 to 40 ft of sandtrap then bushes and or Trees
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    How do you place a value on a big live oak tree? Around here I cant even give away oak trees that get blown down by storms. I have 8 right now about 24 inches in diameter that are easy to get to from the road and no one is interested.
    Why do you think oak trees are so valuable?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    I drive by a farm every few weeks that has had a lot of drivers run off the road on and into the Filbert trees. Usually the result is 2 to 3 full grown trees being destroyed. They bought a old cop car from auction and placed it about 100yrds from the problem. Everyone going by slows down to bellow the speed limit as they pass.

Nearby town has a home we looked at purchased a few yrs back. But had a three turkey houses across the street. Directly across from where the Turkey farm's drive met the main road was a group of 6 inch x10 ft tall yellow steel pipes. A barrier to keep the stupid truck drivers from driving into the home. Would be slow speed hit, but they were there. And I expect paid for by the farm owners

Why not a low cable say 12 to 18 inches off the ground? Lowest wire on the fence. Similar to the cable used by the highway deptsfor median fencing. Good steel posts at each end deep in concrete, and a decorative fence between.may take a couple of strands. But I do like a few tons of pea gravel in a rock garden......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast