RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Rick's Tanglefleet Glazed Salmon

Boolit Buddy

Rick's Tanglefleet Glazed Salmon

Look what I found on a scrap of paper while looking through old things today... and seeing as how I'm a roll right now.

Way back in the 70's, when I was cut like a gym puke, had long hair, and was working as a commercial geoduck diver, we lived on our boat, Tanglefleet. We stayed out for a few weeks at a time, and there wasn't a lot of storage space onboard for luxuries like food. So pretty much every meal centered around some kind of seafood, with potatoes or whatever to go with it. Amazingly, I still love seafood.

Usually it was prawns, or crab, or starry flounder. Something that required minimal effort to catch for breakfast, lunch, and supper. In a pinch, if we were tired and wanted to eat right now, we even ate geoduck. But occasionally, we got tired of that and went looking for a change of diet. If we started seeing herring balls near the boat, that meant the rods were broken out and we started casting for salmon feeding on the bait fish.

And out of that, came this recipe, when the kinda teriyaki marinade I usually made when onshore was just too much of a hassle and too many ingredients. It has exactly THREE ingredients, not including the salmon. I didn't invent this from scratch, it kind of came out of suggestions that maple syrup could replace the brown sugar in the teriyaki, etc. It probably isn't the first recipe that calls for maple syrup to cook fish, either.

Salmon fillets usually get cooked skin side down on the BBQ, on a lowered heat. But we had no BBQ on Tanglefleet, so this was developed for cooking on throwaway tin foil in the boat's gas oven. No idea whether it would work on the BBQ or not, whether or not you decide to do the cedar plank thingy as well.

With that in mind, the temperatures and times are SUGGESTIONS - that was 40+ years ago, I doubt the thermostat on the boat's gas oven was accurate, and the time was probably more of a mental note to me about when I should be checking for whether the salmon was done or not.

It's pretty good - especially if you like the hint of maple syrup.

Rick's Tanglefleet Glazed Salmon

2 salmon fillets; one per person
    .25 cup maple syrup
    2.5 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 clove garlic; finely minced
    1 dash dark navy rum; optional
    coarsely ground black pepper; optional
    seasoned smoked salt; optional

DIRECTIONS:

One salmon filet per person. This recipe makes enough for two. Don't start jacking up the amount of garlic or soy sauce until you've tried it once - it's fish, not Chinese food.

Place the salmon (or other red meat fish) fillets skin side down on a piece of heavy cooking tin foil on a cookie sheet, small enough you can put it in the fridge (or outside if it's cool enough). Paint the top of the fish with the marinade mixture and let it sit for at least an hour or longer if possible in the fridge. Take it out of the fridge about half an hour before it goes in the oven so it has enough time to come to room temperature. Prehat the oven to 400F, with the oven racks closer to the top of the oven.

Before the salmon goes into the oven, paint again with the marinade. Season with coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Also to taste, with a bit of hickory or other flavoured BBQ salt.

Slip the tin foil the salmon is on off of the cookie sheet onto the top oven rack. or just pick it up by the foil and put it on the rack. Whatever - the heat needs to get equally around the fish

Cook for somewhere around 15 minutes - start checking the thickest parts of the fillet for being cooked at somewhere around the 20 minute mark. Once you know the temp and time you need for your oven, then you can use the timer in future. Slap on some more of the marinade on top half way through if you really like maple flavours or it's looking dry.

Like all cooking with a maple glaze, if you do want a kind of a glazed finish to it, turn the oven to broil when it's almost done. At the top of the oven, it will only take a minute or two once the burner gets hot.

Watch closely or you'll be eating roofing shingles.

Remove from the oven, give it a few minutes to cool so the filets don't break, run a wide spatula between the bottom of the filet and the skin, place the skinless filet pieces on plates.

Afterwards, give the salmon skin to the dogs (they used to go in the prawn traps), throw out the foil, and wash the one bowl you needed to make up the marinade.

Easy peasy fishing boat ending to an easy peasy fisherman's boat recipe.

Yield: 2 fillets/2 servings

Boolit Buddy
    Wow sounds yummy

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I do a glaze of 1/2 teriyaki sauce and 1/2 Burbon boiled down to a glaze. Coat the salmon with sesame oil and glaze before broiling and during broiling. Broil one rack down from the top for about 15 min. If not done turn off broiler and let set another 5-10 min.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!