RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Gas check 9mm for rifle

Boolit Grand Master

Gas check 9mm for rifle

I've always gotten better accuracy with gas check boolets.
    All in rifle calibers.
    Even M1 Carbine.
    Working on two 9mm rifles.
    Marlin Camp 9
    Destroyer in 9mm Largo
    Looking at trying plain base aluminium gas checks.
    Has anyone tried it????

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    I got good accuracy with the lee tumble lube 124gr bullets when they where powder coated. This was in a marlin camp 9, I sold it recently because of the plastic lower.

Boolit Master
    I have used Sage's aluminum gas checks on PB bullets in my CZ Scorpion carbine. They work for reducing leading with carbine velocities. However, they are not that cheap, compared to the normal copper ones for gas check shanks. IMO...........I just changed over to bullet moulds that have shanks.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

Yes , and had decent results with a 2 cavity Lee 356-120-TC with PBCG ...
    In fact the results were so positive I ordered a 4 cavity NOE 358-124-TC-GC boolit mould !
    Now production has increased and I can use standard copper checks , not long ago I got in on a group buy and bought a lifetime supply . I find the boolits cut for a gas check easier to apply and crimp in place .
    I use this boolit , cast of a softish alloy , in 9mm (sized .357) and in 357 magnum/ 38 special loads (sized .358). I can drive them fast with no leading . Now I have a plain base mould (Lee) and the gas check mould (NOE).
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have a 9mm T/C carbine which is my favorite "walking around" rifle. T/C made that barrel with a 358 bore so I have tried it with and without gas check boolits. I used the gas check boolits to see how fast I could push projectiles almost mirroring the 357 mag until cases split with regularity. The rifle did not shoot anything well beyond standard factory 9mm velocities so I backed off trying to make the caliber do something it wasn't designed to do. At an MV of 11-1200 fps it will do anything I want it to do game wise and it is nicely accurate with the iron sights I put on it for walking around so there is no need for me to put on gas checks for that velocity.

Banned

both my 16 inch and 4.5 inch ar15 in 9mm do there best with gas checked bullets. Different ones but both gas checked. Its a pretty rare handgun or rifle that doesn't do better with a gas checked bullet. Its just something that you have to weight the cost vs benefit with. My ars I use to pound on steel at a 100 yards so that added accuracy makes the cost worth it to me. Now if im shooting a glock a 25 yards at steel about any bullet will get the job done. Even in my ars I have a few different loads for different days at the range. If all im doing is rolling beer cans or shooting close up silhouettes ive got plain base loads for that. Cool thing today is pc coating takes the leading at high velocity out of the picture so you can still shoot full power without leading but accuracy is 9 times out of 10 going to be better with a check.
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've always gotten better accuracy with gas check boolets.
    All in rifle calibers.
    Even M1 Carbine.
    Working on two 9mm rifles.
    Marlin Camp 9
    Destroyer in 9mm Largo
    Looking at trying plain base aluminium gas checks.
    Has anyone tried it????

Boolit Buddy
    I use his plain base gas checks on all my plain base 9mm carbine loads. I have never had a leading problem and the accuracy is good.

Boolit Master

I'm shooting plain based coated boolits in my Ruger PCC. It's extremely accurate.
    NRA Benefactor.