Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most faithful current reproduction 1886/1892

Boolit Grand Master

Most faithful current reproduction 1886/1892

I was eyeing the recent Winchester take down deluxe models when koger had to post up his beauty and that got the fire burning again for a take down in either 45 Colt or 45/70-45/90. Who currently has the most faithful reproductions and if anyone has taken a Winchester and sent to turnbull to eliminate the tang safety, hideous markings and replaced the hammer with appropriate, what’s the approx cost? How has the accuracy been?

A Model 92 in .45 Colt is far from a faithful reproduction, since the Model 1892/92 was never factory chambered for that cartridge.

ALL Winchester Model 1892/92 & 1886/85 repros by Miroku Gun Co will have less than original features, due to the parent company's lawyers.

However, both Chiappa and Pedersoli make faithful reproductions, sans safeties - that will cost you only about half of what a Turnbull restoration would, but AFAIK you have to supply the rifle for Turnbull to rework.

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=13

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...ing-rifle.html

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

The Browning 1886s that were produced by Browning in the mid 80s are very nice. They are very close to the original Winchester 1886 in terms of having the half cock safety, and no rebounding hammer. They are of excellent quality. Better machining and metallurgy than the originals. Same for the B-92's however they only made those in 357 Mag and 44 Mag. On the 44 Mag the bores tend to run .432".

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...rsary-sporter/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The Browning 1886s that were produced by Browning in the mid 80s are very nice. They are very close to the original Winchester 1886 in terms of having the half cock safety, and no rebounding hammer. They are of excellent quality. Better machining and metallurgy than the originals. Same for the B-92's however they only made those in 357 Mag and 44 Mag. On the 44 Mag the bores tend to run .432".

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...rsary-sporter/
    If I could have found a Browning 86 I would have bought one - ended up with a model 71 (Browning) instead ..............Recently bought a Chiappa 86 - just couldnt stay out of the gunshop till someone else took it .

I have long believed that quality control rejects from the assembly lines aimed at the US - the rejects get sent to Australia - some cheap some not .
    I have yet to buy a replica firearm (including the Browning 71) that did not need serious gunsmithing before it would function correctly - could make a long list but twould be boring.

The Chiappa was no exception - I fixed it - I am happy with it - its a good shooter - the story is that the Chiappa is a proper copy of the original Winchester 1886 - mine had been sold - fired a few shots - sat in a safe - returned faulty and traded. LGS owner didnt tell me that part.

This may have been a one off fault - had I been smart enough to take a dummy 45/70 round with me all would have been revealed - as I got it the gun would not cycle a standard round from the magazine to the chamber - the rear recessed part of the cartridge lifter would not accept a standard 45/70 rim until I relieved it.

The heavy trigger pull and clunky ness is easy to deal with and common in new guns these days. These rifles also come with (or mine did) a magazine limiter pin screwed into the end cap so they can only hold 5 shots.

I like my Chiappa and am happy with it and I am no longer bothered by the idea of stripping an 1886 down - just would say check the thing to make sure it works before they get all your money (applies to all brands these days)

ps A lot of guys would say send it back - well my decision was made based on a target - I took it out and shot ten blackpowder loads at 100 yards - had to single load them - it shot nice and cleaned easy - its a keeper - soon sort the other stuff out.
    Last edited by indian joe; 05-11-2019 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I purchased a Browning 86 SRC and rifle off of Gunbrokers about 8 years ago. Just looked and prices are double to quadruple what I paid. I also purchased a B-92 in 357 & 44. All four of them are flawless mechanically. The 86 SRC was really cheap due to some scratches on the stock that a simple refinish removed.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

A Model 92 in .45 Colt is far from a faithful reproduction, since the Model 1892/92 was never factory chambered for that cartridge.

ALL Winchester Model 1892/92 & 1886/85 repros by Miroku Gun Co will have less than original features, due to the parent company's lawyers.

However, both Chiappa and Pedersoli make faithful reproductions, sans safeties - that will cost you only about half of what a Turnbull restoration would, but AFAIK you have to supply the rifle for Turnbull to rework.

https://www.chiappafirearms.com/family.php?id=13

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...ing-rifle.html

This is true in regards to the 45 Colt. I should have been more specific. I was asking korenof design and mechanics.

I’m really liking the deluxe models that came out in 45/70 and 45/90 the past 2 years, but the right sided billboard is a huge turn off. Pedersoli does have a nice looking deluxe with the longer octagonal barrel. Anyone have both and can comment? Did Browning ever have a deluxe like model with full octagonal barrel?

Boolit Master
    I purchased not one, but two of the Pedersoli 71/1886 45-70 lever guns. Both went back to Cabela's for a full refund. Neither one would function correctly. I called Turnbull to see if they could "fix" them and I was told that they had tried a couple as base guns for their work. They also had problems with them. I then called the gunsmith who does all Pedersoli warranty work and he told me that when he was in Italy to see the factory that there was an employee at the end of the process filing parts and reassembling the guns to ship. His advice was to not buy one at that time. After getting my money back from Cabela's (kudo's to Cabela's, who gives refunds on guns?) I purchased a new in the box Winchester/Miroku and sent it off to Turnbull. I had the safety removed (it wasn't causing any problems at all) and had Browning parts put in to use the half cock notch. While it was there I had it CC hardened, had the chamber reamed longer (.250"), and a rubber butt plate put on it. When I got it back it will shoot five shots at 114 yards (my camp range....deck to back stop) into 1.3-1.7" on a very regular basis. Sometimes smaller. FWIW, Miroku takes a back seat to no one making guns. I have a High Wall and a Low Wall made by them and they are outstanding in both looks, accuracy, and reliability. Also, Pedersoli didn't return even one phone call or email regarding their gun. They may have fixed the problem now, buy they could care less about me when I bought their gun. I paid around nine-hundred for what I got done. The gun cost me eleven-hundred. For me, it was well worth it.
    Attachment 241525Attachment 241524

Boolit Master
    I have a mid-80s Browning 1895 in '06 that has to be the finest put together rifle I have ever owned. I load it with either the 200 grain Lee round nose or Hornady 220 grain round nose to equal .30-40 performance. I had the Providence Tool Co. copy of the Lyman side mount aperture sight installed and it does everything I can ask of it. Did not like the flat steel buttplate, however. GF

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I purchased not one, but two of the Pedersoli 71/1886 45-70 lever guns. Both went back to Cabela's for a full refund. Neither one would function correctly. I called Turnbull to see if they could "fix" them and I was told that they had tried a couple as base guns for their work. They also had problems with them. I then called the gunsmith who does all Pedersoli warranty work and he told me that when he was in Italy to see the factory that there was an employee at the end of the process filing parts and reassembling the guns to ship. His advice was to not buy one at that time. After getting my money back from Cabela's (kudo's to Cabela's, who gives refunds on guns?) I purchased a new in the box Winchester/Miroku and sent it off to Turnbull. I had the safety removed (it wasn't causing any problems at all) and had Browning parts put in to use the half cock notch. While it was there I had it CC hardened, had the chamber reamed longer (.250"), and a rubber butt plate put on it. When I got it back it will shoot five shots at 114 yards (my camp range....deck to back stop) into 1.3-1.7" on a very regular basis. Sometimes smaller. FWIW, Miroku takes a back seat to no one making guns. I have a High Wall and a Low Wall made by them and they are outstanding in both looks, accuracy, and reliability. Also, Pedersoli didn't return even one phone call or email regarding their gun. They may have fixed the problem now, buy they could care less about me when I bought their gun. I paid around nine-hundred for what I got done. The gun cost me eleven-hundred. For me, it was well worth it.
    Could you please post a photo of the stock work and the safety area. I very well would consider going this route.

Boolit Grand Master

Could you please post a photo of the stock work and the safety area. I very well would consider going this route.

I bought my Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle just on 3 years ago. I have put about 2000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. This rifle is the only reproduction that will feed a 520gn Lyman "Postell" boolit through the generous action. The barrel features the same progressive depth rifling as on their 1874 Sharps models.

I'm using a 420gn Hensley & Gibbs mould that casts boolits of 0.460" dia and they are loaded unsized.

100yd group with open sights
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I bought my Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle just on 3 years ago. I have put about 2000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. This rifle is the only reproduction that will feed a 520gn Lyman "Postell" boolit through the generous action. The barrel features the same progressive depth rifling as on their 1874 Sharps models.

I'm using a 420gn Hensley & Gibbs mould that casts boolits of 0.460" dia and they are loaded unsized.

100yd group with open sights
    I think ya got im!!!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Bad *** Wallace;4645781]I bought my Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle just on 3 years ago. I have put about 2000 rounds through it without a single malfunction. This rifle is the only reproduction that will feed a 520gn Lyman "Postell" boolit through the generous action.

You got me - just had to go and check that - no the Chiappa wont feed that 520 grain through the magazine, its too long on the lifter by most of a quarter inch - I wouldnt trust the pointy nose on a primer anyways
    but it shoots em nice single loaded from the top (CBE mold that looks a copy of the Lyman)

Boolit Master
    One question that must be asked.

How valuable is the brand name on the unit. It's an important question.

Even given Miroku. Given made in Japan. Given billboard... It still says Winchester - and that carries weight in the marketplace.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    One question that must be asked.

How valuable is the brand name on the unit. It's an important question.

Even given Miroku. Given made in Japan. Given billboard... It still says Winchester - and that carries weight in the marketplace.
    Indeed!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=osteodoc08;4645771]Could you please post a photo of the stock work and the safety area. I very well would consider going this route..
    As you can see, the safety has been removed and the hole is fitted with a patch that is welded in place. There is no evidence of it ever having been there. Turnbull then puts its little bull logo near the last/rearward screw on the tang. I had them CC the Skinner sight for me also.
    Attachment 241628Attachment 241629Attachment 241630

Boolit Grand Master

NSB,

How did they modify the stock? Cut the curved plate off and install a shotgun pad?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    NSB,

How did they modify the stock? Cut the curved plate off and install a shotgun pad?
    It didn't have a curved stock to begin with. It had a flat steel butt plate. Depends on which model you get. They made them several ways. You've just have to find the right one for sale.
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...-products.html
    Last edited by NSB; 05-13-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    That is a really beautiful rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    It didn't have a curved stock to begin with. It had a flat steel butt plate. Depends on which model you get. They made them several ways. You've just have to find the right one for sale.
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...-products.html

NSB
    the only Winchester 1886 made with a flat butt stock seems to be the Extra light? Was yours a prior discontinued model?
    Last edited by doulos; 05-16-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast