Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What boolit for 327 federal magnum.

Boolit Master

What boolit for 327 federal magnum.

Ok, my sp101 3" just came in, I pick it up Thursday. I will be ordering a Henry big boy steel in October. I also have a s&w hand ejecter. What is the favorite 100 grain round nose flat point boolit all of you 32 shooters use? And is there any other profile that will reliably feed in the henry, and still shoot well in the revolvers? I'm very new to 32 caliber hand guns and from what ive read, I'm thinking I'm going to like it.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have owned, cast and loaded for 6 different 327 revolvers, currently I own 4. I find that bullet of at least 100 gr. perform best. I use the Rainier 100 gr. plated on occasion but it is discontinued. I like Lyman 311316, cast relatively soft, sized and checked to .313. 2400 is my "goto" powder. If you try the Federal American Eagle ammo in 85 and 100 gr. you will be very surprised by the difference in performance; the 100 surpasses the 85 in all categories in my guns. I don't know about loading jacketed bullets, just my cast with/wo GC and the plated 100's

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty set on 100 grain. I have 2 boxes of the American eagle just waiting for Thursday.

Boolit Master
    I use the lee 90 gr tl bullet and the 95 gr SAECO 321 a round nose it shoots very good.
    I also have shot about 1500 of the Hi-Tek 100 and 115 from SNS they both shoot great in a single 7 (crimp over front band for single 7) and a 4.2 sp101 (crimp in crimp grove)
    https://www.snscasting.com/32-32-20/

Boolit Master
    Are the single sevens really that picky on oal? I may get one next year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    Are the single sevens really that picky on oal? I may get one next year.
    The cylinder is shorter than the sp101 it’s almost like they fit a 327 in a gun designed for 22s
    You can’t exceed the factory OAL by much. I think it is a neat little gun but not as nice a package as the SP101 but I like it. It definitely needs the cylinder pawl that will let the cylinder turn backwards to ease loading and unloading.

Boolit Master
    Does Anyone use the accurate #31-100c? It looks like the profile would work for a rifle. The weight is right for 32 s&w long, 32 mag, and 327 federal mag. Would this work in the hand ejecter for 32 s&w long as well as the rifle and sp101 for 327?

Boolit Grand Master

327 Boolits

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	241552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	241553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	241554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	241555
    I have the 3 revolvers that you see here. In fairly extensive testing I have come to favor the MP 314-100 (2nd from left in Picture 4) and the LBT next to it on the right. The two boolits on the far right don't work in the single Seven's but do work well in my SP101. They are a lyman mold, I think the 311-008, and the otherwise excellent RCBS 32-98 SWC. If crimped in the crimping groove, the are too long for the Single 7. The max OAL for the Single 7 is 1.5".
    I have shot 1" groups, bench rested at 25 yards, using the product of either the MP or LBT Molds out of the 7.5" Single 7. (Though truth compels me to admit that they were surrounded by 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 inch groups with the average being just under the 2 inch mark.) Still, these guns are more accurate than I can see to shoot them.

To fairly answer the question about the Accurate 31-100C: I think it would be just fine in the 327, coming in at about 1.48" when crimped in the crimp groove and resembling the excellent MP design. You could easily do worse.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Thank you rintinglen. This is very helpful information. The MP 314-100 looks like it will work in the henry rifle.

Boolit Man
    I hope MP does another run of the 314 100gr before too long. I have the same style bullet in other calibers and it's a great design but I never tried this one.

Boolit Grand Master

The single seven has an embarrassingly short cylinder. I wouldn't use a bullet with a nose longer than .29" (1.490" OAL). The SP101 cylinder is long enough for a full .415" long nose. The Henry has a max OAL of 1.530" that will cycle.

100 grains is too light for best performance in 327 federal, about like a 125 grain in 357 magnum. 100 grains and lighter is fine if you want low recoil though. If you have any intention of shooting lighter bullets fast, I would strongly suggest a gas check design.

My Henry cycles RNFP very well, but is equally good with a truncated nose. I would actually prefer a TC myself, as it would allow a little more bearing surface for the weight.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently purchased my first Arsenal mold for their gas check .316 98 grain LSWC bullet. I am quite pleased with the bullets as cast from wheel weights and use in both the .327 and .32 Magnum rounds in Single Seven and Single Six revolvers respectively. I have limited experience with both rounds, but believe I like this bullet relatively better than the plated 100 grain Berry and Ranier bullets. I have had positive results with AA#9 and 2400 in both rounds, as well as Red Dot for a more modest but still zippy performance in the .32 Magnum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32-SWC-ver-2-3-228x228.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thank you all. This is exactly the information I need. I wouldnt have thought a truncated nose profile would work in a lever. More options now for sure. AA#9 was the powder I was thinking for the 327. Wasnt real sure where to go with 32 h&r. Red dot and bullseye was my thoughts on 32 s&w long. You guys are a wealth of knowledge, and I greatly appreciate all the input.

Boolit Buddy
    psweigle,

The RCBS 98 grain SWC bullet is a very good bullet and the RCBS molds are a joy to cast with. NOE also makes a mold for the same bullet and I have a five cavity mold but I have not used it yet. As previously stated, the bullet is too long to use in the Single Seven when crimped in the crimp groove but the bullet works just as well in the .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long cases. The bullet shape should also work in the Henry rifle.

Bullseye and 231/HP38 work well with .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long. I have not used Red Dot because I could not get small charges to meter consistently enough and I shoot too much to spend time weighing powder.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Youmans View Post
    psweigle,
    ...Bullseye and 231/HP38 work well with .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long. I have not used Red Dot because I could not get small charges to meter consistently enough and I shoot too much to spend time weighing powder.

Gus Youmans
    When something becomes excessively time consuming I agree it is wise to find an alternative. It is too easy to become wrapped up in the means (reloading) to the detriment of the end (shooting).

So far I have had no problem measuring Red Dot. I like it because it is relatively bulky for its speed, reducing air space in the case, and because it has red dots. While I would not exclusively rely on visual recognition of powders, it is an additional reassurance. I began using Red Dot when Bullseye was hard to come by, and now use it in several loads by choice. With plated 100 grain bullets in the .327 round, I found Red Dot more accurate than some other powders. That might have been due to my limited experience with this cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    When something becomes excessively time consuming I agree it is wise to find an alternative. It is too easy to become wrapped up in the means (reloading) to the detriment of the end (shooting).

So far I have had no problem measuring Red Dot. I like it because it is relatively bulky for its speed, reducing air space in the case, and because it has red dots. While I would not exclusively rely on visual recognition of powders, it is an additional reassurance. I began using Red Dot when Bullseye was hard to come by, and now use it in several loads by choice. With plated 100 grain bullets in the .327 round, I found Red Dot more accurate than some other powders. That might have been due to my limited experience with this cartridge.
    I too like red dot I have found the really small charges meter great on the Lee turret but for me not in the progressive.

Boolit Master
    I have used red dot in 25 auto with the lee auto disc on my lee turret press with very consistant results. I too like the bulk of red dot over bullseye.

I use the Arsenal 98 grain plain base in my Single Seven with 2400. It fits perfectly in the cylinder and I’ve been happy with performance. I also have to admit my old 311316 works better at full magnum loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Coincidentally today I shot a few rounds of .32 Magnum using the Arsenal 98 grain LSWC gas check bullet with 3.5 grains of Red Dot. At 25 yards slow fire from a standing position, Weaver stance, eight of ten rounds hit the 10 ring of a timed and rapid fire target. I attribute the two errant shots to my poor shooting.

I use the Lee clone of the Lyman 311316 in my Ruger .30 Blackhawk with very good results. The above post is a motivator to cast a batch to try in the .327 round.

Boolit Master
    Motivation accepted. Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast