Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Bid on a lark!

Boolit Master

Red face Bid on a lark!

Well it was 2000 super Colbry (spelling) never thought $55 would be the high bid. What to do with 2000 low velocity 22 ammo? WellI guess lots of Grakels and sparrows need to stay away.Good excuse to buy the new Ruger 22 revolver, hey good plan gee I am good
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    I like the super Colbry in my rough rider or my rifle. In the rifle it sounds like a pellet gun. The kids like to shoot it to. My youngest likes it because she says it’s not loud like the other ammo. She plinks with it one at a time. Load one shoots then loads another one . She dose not like loading the 5 round mag

That's around $13.75 or so per old fashioned brick. You done good, the hummingbird shells are fun as it gets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ya did good.

They should be quiet enough to use on the indoor range,
    the one with it's back stop at the end of the hall, or off to one side of the TV.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Colibri.

In Spanish, the word colibrí means hummingbird. In various cultures in Latin America, the colibrí is a symbol of strength, hope, and migration. It is also recognized as a messenger between the living and the dead.

Seems rather apropos.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Good stuff for small pests. I sure knocked over a lot of crows with it a few years ago.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Yup you need to getcha a new gun to with your bullets

Boolit Master

If you put a big scope and a bipod on your 22 you can watch those hit the target in the right light. It looks like they are falling into the paper.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Cicadas to Crows; quietly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Good for turtle heads from the boat.

Um, those use a larger than normal amount of primer compound, which contains ground glass. Hard on the rifling. The bigger reason I quit using them altogether in my good rifles was because they built up a nasty ring of hard fouling which interfered with chambering normal Long Rifle cartridges, and even degraded the accuracy of the Colibris after a box or two. Took a LOT of soaking and brushing to get it out. Now I only use them in a shabby old Hopkins & Allen 922. I mostly use them on nuisance birds on the feeder at 20 feet or so, but I once killed a skunk with a lung shot at 50 feet. Went about 50 feet and keeled over. I've still got half a brick that I bought in 2008 - that's how little I use them now.

BTW it's been reported that they won't exit the muzzle of full-length rifles. 18" is apparently OK, 24" barrels no.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Well the cricket has a 16 and a yah long barrel. It is troubling about the ground glass and does the larger than normal charge of priming comp mean more lead in the air. Outside use only shooting down wind ??

somehow I got this post confused with the one about the 5 year old and a cricket rifle.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 05-17-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Yah, probably more lead in the air, too. I wouldn't recommend using them indoors, tempting as it may be, without aggressive ventilation.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Um, those use a larger than normal amount of primer compound, which contains ground glass. Hard on the rifling. The bigger reason I quit using them altogether in my good rifles was because they built up a nasty ring of hard fouling which interfered with chambering normal Long Rifle cartridges, and even degraded the accuracy of the Colibris after a box or two. Took a LOT of soaking and brushing to get it out. Now I only use them in a shabby old Hopkins & Allen 922. I mostly use them on nuisance birds on the feeder at 20 feet or so, but I once killed a skunk with a lung shot at 50 feet. Went about 50 feet and keeled over. I've still got half a brick that I bought in 2008 - that's how little I use them now.

BTW it's been reported that they won't exit the muzzle of full-length rifles. 18" is apparently OK, 24" barrels no.
    Do CCI cb shorts&longs have glass? The Aguila Colibris are intended for handgun length barrels, the Super Colibris have a little more toot for rifle use. I mostly shoot them thru .22 revolvers because I brush the cylinders once a month anyway.

As I understand it, all primer compound has powdered glass in it. Purpose being to hold heat long enough to get the powder to light. This had been true almost from the beginning of time. It was an issue for the .22 belly-shooters between the wars, at least. They would replace or set back a barrel at the first sign of erosion in the throat, which always happened at the six o'clock position, because that's where the glass would collect after a shot. Not an issue for the centerfires so much, because the greater volume of gas carries it out of the barrel.

A revolver probably purges itself through the gap. At least I'd like to think so. One remaining use here that I failed to mention is in an Iver Johnson "target" revolver that wasn't very accurate to begin with, but makes a handy tool to drive away opossums that try to come through the cat door after their food. With that one the hard fouling forms in the cylinder, but it's easy to remove it to soak in Ed's Red for a day, then spin a bronze brush in each chamber with an electric drill.
    Last edited by uscra112; 05-17-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident