Thread: No more robo calls

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

No more robo calls

Well almost

I been using this for about a week, I am very happy with it

https://www.pcmag.com/review/338126/nomorobo
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned
    It will work for a while. Simple solution.... remove home phone like I did. Problem solved. I was getting 20+ calls a day. Towards the end I was getting calls where the first words out of their mouths were this call is being recorded. I got calls where I supposedly won something or my home wasn't safe, there was a question on my Medicare and so on. I have no bad debts and a credit rating in excess 825.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 05-11-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    It will work for a while. Simple solution.... remove home phone like I did. Problem solved.
    I don't have a home phone. I get the robo calls on my cell all the time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG52 View Post
    I don't have a home phone. I get the robo calls on my cell all the time.
    Don't recognize the number don't answer it.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't recognize the number don't answer it.
    That's what I've been doing. It is still a pain to stop what I'm doing to check who's calling.

Banned
    I think IPhone has a program out that you can use to limit or totally eliminate the robo calls. I simply don't answer the calls wait and see if there is a message and if not add the number to my blocked list.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a couple of iPhones (a 6 and a 7+), which are set up to ring simultaneously with (VOIP) land-line at residence. After any call is received, I may just click "Recent" to view number and area e.g., city) it's purportedly from. Scrolling down, an option appears, "Block This Number" -- which, if it is an unwanted number I select. Not wishing to jinx my superstitious self -- I'll just say the number of robo calls has been dropped to maybe one or two per week at most.

In my case we dropped our land line, switched the number to my wifes cell, and I got a cell so I could text her at work. At the time she worked in the local clinic call center and could not take a call while at work.

What bugged me was that 5-6 times a day, most often during a nap my phone would go off for one of these telemarketers.

Eventually I found an app called Mr Number. Which was simple to install, walk through settings. I found the click box to "block all calls not in your contact list"

And I got silence at last.

It keeps a list of callers, I go through it every day or two, watching for numbers and people I might know. (Google or Bing is your friend, when in doubt, look em up)

No more interrupted naps.

If I need someone to contact me I tell them to send me a text first explaining who they are and why they are calling. At that point I can call them, or add them to contacts.

When I turned 65 and was eligible for medicare it got real busy. Bastiges!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    In my case we dropped our land line, switched the number to my wifes cell, and I got a cell so I could text her at work. At the time she worked in the local clinic call center and could not take a call while at work.

What bugged me was that 5-6 times a day, most often during a nap my phone would go off for one of these telemarketers.

Eventually I found an app called Mr Number. Which was simple to install, walk through settings. I found the click box to "block all calls not in your contact list"

And I got silence at last.

It keeps a list of callers, I go through it every day or two, watching for numbers and people I might know. (Google or Bing is your friend, when in doubt, look em up)

No more interrupted naps.

If I need someone to contact me I tell them to send me a text first explaining who they are and why they are calling. At that point I can call them, or add them to contacts.

When I turned 65 and was eligible for medicare it got real busy. Bastiges!
    Do you have Iphone?

Boolit Buddy

If you have a Samsung cell, just go to settings and turn on "Do not disturb". All calls not on your contact list go straight to voicemail, unless they call multiple times in a set period
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

Boolit Grand Master

I just don't answer the ones that I don't recognize. If its important enough they can leave a message. The problem with the programs on your phone is that the bad guys technology is constantly changing while whatever blocker you have can't keep up with it. And yes, its aggravating!

Boolit Master

A little different on my Convoy 4, but changed setting to allow calls from contact list only. Thanks for the tip.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Man
    On the iPhone, if I block someone, I want them to know they are blocked. They can still leave a voicemail.

Boolit Master

It will work for a while. Simple solution.... remove home phone like I did. Problem solved. I was getting 20+ calls a day. Towards the end I was getting calls where the first words out of their mouths were this call is being recorded. I got calls where I supposedly won something or my home wasn't safe, there was a question on my Medicare and so on. I have no bad debts and a credit rating in excess 825.
    We get more robocalls on our cell numbers than we do the landline. SWMBO has several friends she talks with frequently and the calls are long so we keep a landline for OUR convenience. Unfortunately, we're getting lots of return calls from landscapers and other maintenance people lately and have to answer lots of unidentified calls that still end up being for college loans (we both paid as went), credit card debt reduction (pay our bills off every month), car warranties and other nuisance calls.

Many years ago a story made the news. Seems that the recipient of the call had already notified the caller that he would bill the caller a hefty amount if they called again. They called again and he took the caller to small claims court with a copy of the letter he had sent telling them to quit calling on the basis that the caller was using the recipient's privately funded telephone service for their commercial purposes. The judge hearing the case had his football game interrupted several times the night before by solicitors. The violator never stood a chance.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Calls have cut way back. The Church toll-free calls on updates got through and left a message.
    I don't know how it knows the difference but it does.

I am a happy camper.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    "The do not disturb" setting is working great for me since I properly adjusted the time setting parameters.
    Thank you!!!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker