RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: wads for the .36 pistol

Boolit Buddy

wads for the .36 pistol

I tried several different wads for my .36 caliber spiller and burr. but someone on the site said to try a rubberized cork gasket material from a auto parts store. I found some at a "O" Reilly's store and punched out a batch of them. I was using a 3/8 hollow punch. the wads are a tad over size but boy do they shoot good. I was using 3fg and you could spit that far and hard. but with 777 and the cork wads the little S&P really livened up. my 7/16 hollow punch was just a little small for my .44(it takes a .454 ball.) so I've got another punch coming from Buffalo arms.('o' the gasket is the 1/8 inch thick stuff), mine came in a 1 ft. SQ. so take 144 sq. inches times four+ and thats about how many wads you get out of the 1ft. sq. sheet. don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Boolit Master
    I always shot my 1851 navy 36 without wads and used crisco over the balls. It always shot so good I have never tried wads of any kind. Do you notice a difference using wads? Better accuracy just wondering how the wads did for you

Boolit Buddy
    if you put a dab of grease over the wad(which is over the powder, and then seat the ball,) you can shoot the gun just about all day long. I did this with my 1860(in .44) and shot it about 70 rounds without cleaning the barrel. the grease keeps the fouling soft. but I also camber the chambers so when you seat the ball the whole ball goes into the chamber. (no lead ring on the top of the cylinder) so you don't need crisco on the outside of the pistol. and your gun stays cleaner along with your hands.(well, kinda cleaner). I ran a patch twice throught the barrel, this afternoon after shooting and the barrel was clean.(ok, I was shooting triple 7 and it's pretty clean.)

Boolit Master

" I also camber the chambers …."
    Do you mean chamfer?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I use the pre-lubed felt wads.

Boolit Master
    I never used wads in the revolvers. Never could see any benefit from them. I also stopped putting lube in front of the bullet. I did always make sure the balls fit with a solid ring of lead shaved during seating.

If by some chance I was shooting them a lot, then I would dab some lube on the center pin every third or fourth cylinder load.

Boolit Buddy
    yes, your right!, I mean chamfer the chambers