Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 1886 Win. takedown rifle came in today! Help needed!

Boolit Master

My new 1886 Win. takedown rifle came in today! Help needed!

Having never owned one, I did not know what to expect, but the Miroku made rifle does not disappoint. The gun is in its original box, and is absolutely mint condition. I took the vapor wrap off and very carefully went over the whole rifle with a magnifying glass. I can find no signs of use, the bluing is immaculate, and the wood is also. Not even a ring ding. Now a description. The bluing is well polished and blue is a deep black. The 26" tapered octagonal barrel helps to balance the whole rifle. It has a full length mag tube, with the takedown lever on the end. It has the crescent buttplate, polished as well as the rest of the metal and a dark black/blue. The trigger breaks at 3#, and is butter smooth all the way thru. It has the rebounding hammer spring and the tang safety. I worked the lever two times, surprised by how short the stroke feels, about 20-25% shorter than a Marlin 1895. The stock and forearm appears to be quarter sawn black walnut, and the forearm has several different shade swirls in it. The pistol grip cap is blued steel with Winchester stamped on it. The front sight is a tiny gold bead like they used to use on guns meant to be shot with iron sights. and it has a standard Win. Buckhorn rear sight, very heavily made, with the elevator set on the middle notch. I have not weighed it but it is a chunk, but really well balanced with the long barrel and mag, and extra weight of the takedown extension makes the sights hang on the target off hand. The gun was made in 1999, is twenty years old and never fired!

Now for the part I need help on, I face a choice, either keep it and shoot it, or sell it to make some money back. I have looked on some recent online auctions, and see them going for around $1700-1900. That is very tempting, but I am getting on up in years, and may never have another chance at one. I am seriously consider selling two other guns, and keeping the 1886. If I keep it, I will shoot it, with cast boolits and light to medium loads, but I wont have a gun I cant shoot, and take good care of. Please someone help talk me into keeping this gun.

Banner Sponsor

Sounds like you already talked yourself into it.
    Got any pics to share? It sounds amazing.

Boolit Master
    If you're are getting up in years (as I am) you probably already know that the value of what we own today isn't in the future. If you like the gun, keep it and shoot it. Let someone else worry about its worth after you're gone and after you had the time to enjoy it. I have a Miroku 1886 (not the take down) and it's a thing of joy. It's a tack driver and works flawlessly. Enjoy what you have and quit thinking about a few bucks profit that you probably can live without anyway. If you get tired of it later you can sell it then. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

I purchased a Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle as a present to myself upon retirement after working for 46 years. I get to shoot it weekly; may I live long enough to "wear it out"

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Having never owned one, I did not know what to expect, but the Miroku made rifle does not disappoint. The gun is in its original box, and is absolutely mint condition. I took the vapor wrap off and very carefully went over the whole rifle with a magnifying glass. I can find no signs of use, the bluing is immaculate, and the wood is also. Not even a ring ding. Now a description. The bluing is well polished and blue is a deep black. The 26" tapered octagonal barrel helps to balance the whole rifle. It has a full length mag tube, with the takedown lever on the end. It has the crescent buttplate, polished as well as the rest of the metal and a dark black/blue. The trigger breaks at 3#, and is butter smooth all the way thru. It has the rebounding hammer spring and the tang safety. I worked the lever two times, surprised by how short the stroke feels, about 20-25% shorter than a Marlin 1895. The stock and forearm appears to be quarter sawn black walnut, and the forearm has several different shade swirls in it. The pistol grip cap is blued steel with Winchester stamped on it. The front sight is a tiny gold bead like they used to use on guns meant to be shot with iron sights. and it has a standard Win. Buckhorn rear sight, very heavily made, with the elevator set on the middle notch. I have not weighed it but it is a chunk, but really well balanced with the long barrel and mag, and extra weight of the takedown extension makes the sights hang on the target off hand. The gun was made in 1999, is twenty years old and never fired!

Now for the part I need help on, I face a choice, either keep it and shoot it, or sell it to make some money back. I have looked on some recent online auctions, and see them going for around $1700-1900. That is very tempting, but I am getting on up in years, and may never have another chance at one. I am seriously consider selling two other guns, and keeping the 1886. If I keep it, I will shoot it, with cast boolits and light to medium loads, but I wont have a gun I cant shoot, and take good care of. Please someone help talk me into keeping this gun.
    I tried once already - here I go again - you will never see another one - keep it and sell something else

yah well I am a winchester freak so I am totally biased - cant afford originals to shoot - but I have the three big lever guns - Browning model 71-348, Uberti model 76 45/75 and a Chiappa 86 45/70...........been a long time getting them and a subsantial investment (about what it would cost some fellers for booze and cigarettes for a year!!!)
    Had a good day casting today and now have 600 boolits done for the 45's and my sharps.
    Shot the 86 at our local blackpowder club last sunday with the 405 grain LEE boolit and got an 85 using the issued barrel sights - (second to a bloke half my age with a Sharps and expensive peep sights) I shoot with a little padded vest and none of these guns kick enough to be a problem. (with normal loads) I intend to enjoy them at least until I make 85yrs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I purchased a Pedersoli 1886 sporting rifle as a present to myself upon retirement after working for 46 years. I get to shoot it weekly; may I live long enough to "wear it out"

Wallace - do you mind how much aussie dollars for the Pedersoli - I live down south and bought a Chiappa recently - had fired six shots - not a mark on it - but needed some work to get it functioning it looks nice and a good barrel in it - I dont mind a project - had I known the full story probably coulda screwed a couple hundred more off it but it worked out ok and I learnt my way around an 86 in the process.

Its not an original so the value will go down as you use it. You sound like you really like it so I think you should keep it and shoot as much as possible.
    Its not always about money. I have originals and I take care of them too. That doesnt mean that I dont shoot them as much as possible. Shooting does not always equal wear. Dropping it in rocks and making dings lowers value. I don't know what you like doing... Maybe you run cowboy courses and beat it on the ground and drag it on wood tables. Or maybe just off hand shooting

Long story short: Have fun, don't die and regret not shooting it I would go have fun!

Boolit Master

Keep it, shoot it, clean it, shoot it, clean it, shoot it.

I really enjoy my Win 1886 and have a tang sight on mine and a gold dot front insert.
    They sure are fun to shoot
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Hate to tell the purists, but.....

The Miroku guns are way better built than the originals....

Boolit Master
    Sounds like your only real problem is not wanting to wear that mint-condition finish by shooting it. I stopped worrying about 'deflowering' my Safe Queens and started enjoying them years ago. Unless you're a serious trader/collector, take it out and shoot it or trade it for one that already has a little wear.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I can send pics to anyone who will post them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EVR View Post
    Hate to tell the purists, but.....

The Miroku guns are way better built than the originals....
    They have modern steel and such. Which makes them stronger. Its a shame that Historic companies will go over seas. Its all for money so its understandable I guess. Its just not my thing seeing made in Japan on the barrel. I also like the character of older ones

Boolit Master
    Get an account at one of the photo hosting sites and post them your self.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I can send pics to anyone who will post them for me.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    You are a bit mistaken. The original Winchester rifle manufacturing company no longer exists.
    One of the reasons it no longer exists is it was a poor investment of money. The management of the plant and those old unions would not do the job....

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    They have modern steel and such. Which makes them stronger. Its a shame that Historic companies will go over seas. Its all for money so its understandable I guess. Its just not my thing seeing made in Japan on the barrel. I also like the character of older ones
    EDG

Boolit Master

koger, if you need assistance maybe I can help

www.tinypic.com

will be a great asset to you

Mike

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Sounds like your only real problem is not wanting to wear that mint-condition finish by shooting it. I stopped worrying about 'deflowering' my Safe Queens and started enjoying them years ago. Unless you're a serious trader/collector, take it out and shoot it or trade it for one that already has a little wear.
    This idea has some merit. get a shooter, and some cash to boot?

But, if it was me, i'd keep it, load for it and shoot it every day if I could!
    It's value will rise with every bit of wear it gains, and every good group it gives you.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it. I bought a Shiloh Sharps that cost more almost 18 years ago. I wanted one so bad I sold other guns to fund it. I shot the snot out of that rifle. Mostly with blackpowder and my cast bullets. Loved every minute of it. When my interests went to something else it started to become a safe queen I sold it. I got more money than I had in it by about 20%. It was easy to sell considering its a 3 year wait to buy a new one. My point is this . SHOOT IT! Enjoy yourself. Don't worry about resale value because its fired.

Its just not my thing seeing made in Japan on the barrel.
    Mine either but the quality and finish is beyond compare and a few years ago I was on my way to my LGS to finally buy the Miroku 1873 .357 I had been admiring (for several months) and went in and it was gone! Divine intervention? who knows.
    A few weeks later a Henry BBB shows up locally and knowing how hard they were to get at the time I took it.
    Henrys are a bit 'quirky' but I worked out the minor 'details' on mine and it has not disappointed!

Boolit Master
    well thanks for the advice, I am going to keep it and shoot the snot out of it. I had a newer Marlin/Remington 1895 that I sold and recouped half my money, it was a sweet shooter but did not really fit into my 45/70 collection. I have a first year guide gun, ported that I hunt with, especially around here when woods hunting, where shots are seldom past 125 yds, most are 60-70 yds. I am also selling a surplus 30/06 FN Mauser I had gotten a deal on and a shooter, but I will never hunt with it. When I sell this, I will have recouped my money and then some. I mostly deer hunt with either one of my 45/70's, or a 6.5x55 Swede I built in 1985, or a 6.5x284 I built about 2 years ago. I have 100 350gr cast loaded up with 15grs of Unique, and I am going to give the 1886 a trip to the range in the next day or two. I am 57, but with the body of someone about 70 due to having chronic arthritis from several broken bones, including my back, and having3 strokes in one day about 18 months ago. I am disabled, due to my right leg being about 75% numb from the stroke, and I have to drag it around when I get the least bit tired. My right arm comes and goes, numb about 50% of the time, and I suffer from chronic fatigue, can only do about 1/8 of the stuff I used to do in a day. I have to use a arm brace/crutch to walk, use it in with my right leg. But overall I am very grateful that I am not in the shape I was when I had the first stroke, laid in the floor for 5 hours, could not crawl, speak and could see very little out of both eyes. The other two happened after my wife came home and got an ambulance, in the hospital, both of those involve very violent seizures for 20=30 minutes. I truly thank you all for the advice, the wife agrees. I may not have many more years due to the stroke, and other issues, 15 at best, and I plan on enjoying myself, as much as possible. I shoot a rifle/pistol nearly every day, except Sunday. Thanks again.

Boolit Master

YOU are the MAN!!
    Well done
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast