Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Questions on the 5.45x39 Russian

Boolit Master

Questions on the 5.45x39 Russian

I have an Arsenal AK74 in 5.45 x 39. Great rifle and accurate.

Just like to substitute some good soft-point/expanding bullets by pulling bullets from Tula or Wolf factory rounds. ( I know Hornady makes V-Max rounds but I want a better bullet).

Want to size down some good 60-70 gr soft point .224" bullets and load them in the Tula or Wolf cases.

I mic. a pulled 7N6 bullet and a Wolf 60 gr. bullet, both were @ .222". Scources say the 5.45 bullet is .221".

Lee makes custom sizing dies, but what would any of you recommend, .221" or .222" sizing?

I managed to make a shell-holder for the 5.45 case out of a .223 shell holder and a little Dremel tool work. Using worn down cutting discs "about" 3/8 inch in diameter, I was able to cut the extractor groove larger in the shell holder so the 5.45 case would fit. I cut a slightly deeper channel toward the primer hole in the shell holder so the screw that holds the cutting disc on the dowel would clear and allow cutting the extractor groove.

I can use .223 Rem seating die to reseat bullets, by turning the seating stem way down and by adjusting the die correctly in the press. (5.45x39 case will not go all the way into seating die, but the die can be adjusted in the press to allow the case to just touch the die.)

I have seen where the .222 case is reformed and reloaded, but I am not a fan of the idea.

The Hornady 5.45 V-Max is too fragile and explosive for what I want.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

If I were to get a custom sized die from Lee I would get the smaller and try some you can always hone it out bigger if needed .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    If I were to get a custom sized die from Lee I would get the smaller and try some you can always hone it out bigger if needed .
    Ru Shooter thanks for the good answer....why didn't I think of that???

Boolit Master

Ordered the Lee sizing die in .221". Now the wait begins until it arrives. Looking at sizing down the Speer Gold-Dot bonded 60gr .224" bullets and swapping them out with Tula 5.45 x 39 60 gr FMJ.

The factory Tula bullets sure pull hard. I tried just bumping the bullet down slightly with the seating die to break them loose, but they still pull hard. My kinetic puller wont budge them. Side-cutter or vice-grips on top of the RCBS press is the only way to pull them so far. Hate to mangle the bullets.

HAs anyone used a collet puller on this cartridge?

Boolit Master
    You could try the NOE sizer system.
    Once you have the die body the individual sizing die inserts are like $12,
    and they typically ship the next day.