Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Lyman and 310 Production

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman and 310 Production

For about the last 20+ years, Lyman has been sort of tapering off production of their 310 line. Someone posted that they had been informed by Lyman that they were actually discontinuing all of the 310 tools and dies. While I understand their desire to produce what sells the best and most modern reloaders are satisfied with everything using 7/8 X 14 dies, I’m a strong believer in the admonition to “Dance with the girl you came in with,” so I’m a bit disappointed if this is true about Lyman’s change in direction.

Two questions; First, has anyone else heard the same thing about Lyman dropping the 310 line altogether? Second, when was the last time any of us bought anything new in the way of Lyman 310 stuff? I know my last set of new dies (in 38-55) was bought well over 10 years ago.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I purchased decapping pins from Lyman about 5 years ago. About two months ago I went to my favorite "links" I tried to access the page, copuld be found. Website was rebuilt all the old accessory pages are gone. I end up going to ebay and purchasing from there.

I imagine Lyman just like any other company can't keep afford to keep inventory for things that don't sell regularly.

Previous Lyman distributors are going to be able to command some high $$$ on these seldom seen items.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Buddy

in the last year ive gotten in to 310 fairly heavily, four calibers, rifle and pistol.
    I have new handles, used handles, new dies and used dies. and handles 100 or so years old..
    while the lee hand press is more versitale caliber wise....the 310 is perfect for portablility

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    in the last year ive gotten in to 310 fairly heavily, four calibers, rifle and pistol.
    I have new handles, used handles, new dies and used dies. and handles 100 or so years old..
    while the lee hand press is more versitale caliber wise....the 310 is perfect for portablility
    Mr Maine1,
    I would call that a real good start! Around the house I have revolver dies for about 5 calibers, and rifle dies for about 5 more (of the “classic” calibers like 32-40 & 45-70 etc.) I’ve made a conscious effort to find as many of the caliber specific steel handle sets as I can afford, and pairs of the steel universal handles in large and small size as well. The problem is, I’ve got a mess of later dies and handles that followed me home and need to be sorted, identified, and put up for adoption. I’m facing knee replacement surgery this Summer, so that should give me a great opportunity to sit and do this while I’m recovering. if I have any odds and ends when I finish up, I’m hoping my friend Brass Magnet will find a place for them with his ever expanding assortment of new and old dies.

Froggie

PS to dsh1106: AFAIK, Lyman has used the same decapping pins (look like a little nail with no point) for at least 70 years, and still do. I believe they are in the last catalog as well as their current website if you search carefully. Send me a PM if you need help finding them.
    "It aint easy being green!"