Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: IMR Red

Boolit Master

IMR Red

I lucked into a 4 lb jug of IMR Red today for $50 out the door.

Now I just need to find some more 9mm data for it!
    NRA Benefactor.

Ha, I looked at the Hodgson site and yep, one single load for 9mm. 8 for 38 special, and 8 more for 45acp.... but one single 90gr bullet load tilford 9mm. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Me... I would be calling Hodgdon to see if anything has been tested since the load data for the IMR Red was put out.
    Or, , although one might want to think on it first...even asking them if it is comparable to Alliants Red Dot load data.

One more thing I would do is look at the load data for the other pistols IMR Red load data & compare to Red Dot load data for the same calibers & see just how close they are & if they are similar or the same to the Red Dot load data, then it could be considered to possibly use the Red Dot data. At Your Own Risk of course.

G'Luck! & please let everyone know what you end up doing!

P.S. - I just went & quickly looked at the IMR & Alliant data for 38Spec & 45 ACP for a couple loads that I use myself with Red Dot & it appears there may be some close comparison you could possibly look in to yourself. I would be making some notes & doing the math & comparing all of the components first, were I to start an experiment to compare data in actual use over a Chrony , etc., myself.
    I think I would call Hodgdon/IMR first though, & see what they had to say, before I went further.

Once again!
    G'Luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 05-09-2019 at 09:31 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    It is my understanding this is supposed to approximate red dot couldn't you reduce red dot data to start?

Here is the burn rate chart with the new powders in it . https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...nratecolor.pdf
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I'm going to dig out my old Handloaders magazines. There was an article about IMR red not long ago.

It's very close to Red Dot. It's supposed to be a volume replacement for it in shotgun loading.

As I recall off the top of my head from Handloader it gives slightly higher velocities in handgun than Red Dot does with the same charge weight.

I've loaded some in the past. That's why I jumped on it for the price.
    NRA Benefactor.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Saw it discounted at gun store couple weeks ago along with the green and blue 8 pound containers $129. Keeping eye out to see if it comes down some more.

Boolit Mold
    I haven't seen any useful metallic data for blue yet. But also got some cheap. Have seen where folks have played with it and it's similar to Blue Dot but not 1:1 by weight. I keep hoping that Hogdons will publish data...