RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: I.M.R 3031 powder

Boolit Buddy

I.M.R 3031 powder

I just purchased a used Browning 1885 .45/70 B.P.C.R. and I want to shoot smokeless in it. I have one just like it that I shoot in competition but use Black Powder in it. I occasionally like to have a gun for a "newby" to shoot that does not require so much cleaning. I want to use a powder that comes close to filling the case. I found that I could put as much as 49.0 Gr. of I.M.R. 3031 in the case behind a 480 gr. lead bullet without using a wad. I do not want a stout load, but an effective one. I have loaded up some rounds with 42.0 gr. , but wonder what kind of flexibility I have with that powder.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition (2010) in the Trapdoor loads shows starting load of 38 grains of IMR3031 and 500grain #457125 at OAL 2.885" fr 1075 fps and 12,400 cup.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I think that 49gr load would be a little stout feeling. I have shot a fair bit in the 42gr range ( 405gr to 450gr bullets ) but found occasional hang fires. I use a magnum primer and that problem went away.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I’m 500 miles from my reloading data, but 42gr of 3031 over a 405gr bullet sounds like what I last used for target fun.

I try other things here and there, but keep coming back to 40gr. of 3031 with a cast 405gr.

It does a good job. I haven't had any issues with it.
    Also, I don't have to sit back, scratch my head, and try to figure out which end of the Marlin is more dangerous than the other.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I've had much better luck with 4198, Rel7, 2400, and 5744. All shoot better and the recoil is pretty mild with reduced loads. Here's a couple fired at 114 yards (my deck to backstop).
    Attachment 241387

Boolit Master
    I agree on the 4198. I use Hodgdon's trapdoor loads of H-4198, but again with magnum primers, the most for .45-70 cast bullet shooting these days.

Chris.

I tried IMR 3031 decades ago because I have so much of it here. But it burned incompletely, and left a lot of unburned powder in the bore. Just didn't like it much. 4198 is a much better choice, and works well in my .45-70's.

Boolit Master
    It depends on the velocity you intend to shoot.
    If you want traditional BP velocity use less of a faster powder.
    The best choices run from Alliant 2400, IMR 4227, Accurate 5744 and IMR 4198.
    I use about 25 grains of SR4759 for excellent accuracy. This powder has been discontinued but I stocked up so I can still use it.

If you fill the case you will get one of 2 results

1. Velocity will be too high and you will have a powerful load that exceeds black powder performance.
    2. If you lower the pressure and velocity with the slower powders you will get a lot of unburned powder left in your bore.

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I just purchased a used Browning 1885 .45/70 B.P.C.R. and I want to shoot smokeless in it. I have one just like it that I shoot in competition but use Black Powder in it. I occasionally like to have a gun for a "newby" to shoot that does not require so much cleaning. I want to use a powder that comes close to filling the case. I found that I could put as much as 49.0 Gr. of I.M.R. 3031 in the case behind a 480 gr. lead bullet without using a wad. I do not want a stout load, but an effective one. I have loaded up some rounds with 42.0 gr. , but wonder what kind of flexibility I have with that powder.
    EDG

Boolit Master

you might look at IMR 4831. Ken Waters called it the best cast bullet powder he had ever used. I have not had a chance to try it.

flexibility- H4895 its used to down load for the Youth Loads. See Hodgdon "Trapdoor Rifles data." also.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 05-11-2019 at 05:55 PM.

I've tried 4831 also, and like 3031 it too leaves too much unburnt powder in the bore. And not very consistent velocities in my .45-70 trials.

Boolit Master

I have accumulated much 3031 myself and was hoping to burn some off in the 45/70’s with my new 425g cast boolit.

I shot a few at 35 & 37g didnt notice much if any unburned. I loaded but haven’t fired the 40g loading.

Not looking for stompin loads here but want something more powerful than the 454. I am using Magnum Federal LR primers.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 05-14-2019 at 12:03 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have great results with 3031 but the loads that worked well were not trap door loads.