RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 50 Beowulf chamber damaging brass/bullet

Boolit Man

50 Beowulf chamber damaging brass/bullet

BCA says this is normal for all new barrels and to shoot more to wear the sharp lug corners. Problem is i reload and Beowulf brass isn't cheap. These cuts are pushing into the case walls and if i continued to use them like this i feel like a cut in the same area could puncture the case. Not to mention the carving of my bullet from the feed ramp.

Could anyone give me some tips; tools needed, videos, instruction on how to round/polish this chamber?

Boolit Buddy
    Fix it your self , smooth it out.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by cub45 View Post
    Fix it your self , smooth it out.
    Great advice!!!! appreciate it.

Dremel tool with a flexshaft attachment and some felt cones with some green polishing compound would take care of the sharp edges pretty quick. With out disassembling the upper you don't have a lot of choices. It's tight in there.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

Boolit Master
    Polish the feed ramps(small center red circle)The locking lugs(left and right large circle)aren't the issue. Use a rotary tool with a fine stone followed by a felt bob and polishing compound.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by tradbear55 View Post
    Dremel tool with a flexshaft attachment and some felt cones with some green polishing compound would take care of the sharp edges pretty quick. With out disassembling the upper you don't have a lot of choices. It's tight in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    Polish the feed ramps(small center red circle)The locking lugs(left and right large circle)aren't the issue. Use a rotary tool with a fine stone followed by a felt bob and polishing compound.

Thanks guys, especially for the flexshaft so i dont have to take it all apart. so dremel, stone, felt and polishing compound. Troy boy are you sure the locking lugs that i circled a problem? So just by polishing the feed ramp this will guide the bullet in the barrel without scraping the side lugs?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Bundy View Post
    Great advice!!!! appreciate it.
    That should have been typed in Purple !?
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Man
    Okay thanks to everyone, picked up a dremel from HD and came with a kit of various tips one was that felt mentioned. Funny thing the pieces were all used up lol but it didnt matter i was still able to polish the chamber and now theres barely any notice of lead scraping on the ramp.

Also want to mention, i called a local gunsmith before hitting up HD and the dude would not give me an estimate on this job. Kept insisting i come in and wouldn't take the picture i provided here. Then said he cant say because he doesnt know what handguard i might have, how much material he would need to take off, assembly/reassembly etc. I told the guy... listen its just a quick polish job Ive seen it done in 5min on YT by guys that know what their doing. He still wouldn't give me an estimate high or low so i just hung up and said **** it ill do it myself. He missed out on easy money, i didnt even have to take the receiver apart.

The two scrapes close together are mainly from the front side of the corners on the locking lugs you have circled on the right in the picture. You only need to remove the tiniest bit to make it no longer sharp to the point it cuts brass. I try to remember to take care of that before installing the barrel extension, but occasionally I forget. It's very easy to mar the finish on the upper with a dremel so I always take the barrel off to dehorn the lugs and polish the ramp.

Boolit Master

As stated above but also check your magazines. I had a factory upper with the same problem looked at that same issue but soon quickley focussed to the mags since I was using standard Brownells 20 round 5.56 mags. A few minutes with a mag inserted and a flashlight through the upper receiver window revealed alittle file work. If I had a mag here, I'd post but basically the front center and corners along wih breaking the edges inside the upper receiver.

The majority of the damage though was coming from the mags I think.