Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dot reticle scope for hunting

Boolit Bub
    My eyes are getting older and I favor the dot a great deal.

Banned

I like a scope for hunting and a red dot for self defense. What id like to see is a true 1x4 scope with a red dot that is useable in bright light. KInd of like my trijicon acupoint but for 2 or 300 bucks not two to three times that much. A scope that could be used for long range with the turn of the crank and turn it back and you have a red dot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I like a scope for hunting and a red dot for self defense. What id like to see is a true 1x4 scope with a red dot that is useable in bright light. KInd of like my trijicon acupoint but for 2 or 300 bucks not two to three times that much. A scope that could be used for long range with the turn of the crank and turn it back and you have a red dot.
    The Vortex Crossfire II (1 x 4x), fits these parameters. The red dot is plenty bright for full sunlight................not blinding but sufficient. I'm a big Trijicon fan...........have many of their offerings but this Vortex fits the bill on my less serious firearms.

Winelover

Banned

thanks I just bought a vortex 1x6 strike eagle. Nice scope but fails the day time illumination badly

Boolit Master
    Probably, because of the type of reticle it has...............pretty busy one. I like the simple dot. Also costs twice as much. I would contact Vortex, if not happy with it. Test out their warranty. I sent my Leupold 1 x 5 illuminated German reticle back three times before they got it right.

Winelover

My Tikka 25-06 wears a Redfield Revolution 4x12 with a dot in a circle with a simple dot farther down on the vertical wire for long shots. I have no complaints; and I hate "busy" reticles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Burris FastFire II's first setting (1st push on) automatically adjusts the brightness of the dot to the light conditions. The next 3 stings (pushes of the power button) set the dot at very bright, medium and a small dot that is excellent for precision shooting.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

truth be told its a very rare standard illuminated rifle scope that has a dot bright enough for daylight use. Ive got a trijicon acupoint that does it with fiber optics in daylight and tritium at night and that's the only one ive seen. Ive heard the vortex razor and the burris 1x4 does but looking at reviews over half the people say its not true. Im not talking one that you can see the redot but barely. Im talking one that its bright enough to use as a red dot in daylight. The burris prism sights do but like a acog are lacking in eye relief and field of view and the reticle they use in them is not a good reticle for precision even at a 100 yards. What I want is a 1x4 or 1x6 or 1x8 that has a true 1x like my trijicon that is bright enough to use as a red dot but does it with a battery vs fiber optic/tridium so that it doesn't cost 900 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Probably, because of the type of reticle it has...............pretty busy one. I like the simple dot. Also costs twice as much. I would contact Vortex, if not happy with it. Test out their warranty. I sent my Leupold 1 x 5 illuminated German reticle back three times before they got it right.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Trijicon products will spoil you.................I'm a big fan of theirs. Love my Accupoints and Reflexes. However, can't justify the expense to put them on all my toys.

Winelover

Banned

yup there good stuff. Problem with tritium though is it fades with time and having trijicon replace it is very expensive. No problem if your looking for 15 years or so till they plant you but a young man buying one doesn't allways realize they don't last forever. still have my acupoint but sold my acog. It sat in the safe on an ar I seldom shoot for about 8 years and I finally came to the conclusion it represented another gun with a quality red dot on it and sold it. It did have one flaw that the burris and vortex prism sights share with it and that's very poor eye relief. YOu have to about have your eyelashes touching it to get a full field of view.

Boolit Master
    Last years relamping of a reflex was $160...……….if spread over 15 years, that's $10.60/year. Worth not having to deal with batteries or on/off switches. Even if you don't relamp, they will still operate, except in very low light.

Winelover

Banned

that's cheaper then I was told. I heard its about half the price of a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Last years relamping of a reflex was $160...……….if spread over 15 years, that's $10.60/year. Worth not having to deal with batteries or on/off switches. Even if you don't relamp, they will still operate, except in very low light.

Winelover

I've long successfully used an El Paso 4x Weaver with a T.K. Lee dot on my .22RF squirrel gun.

I place the dot on the squill & pull the trigger - the bullet impacts wherever the dot rests. .

For my CF rifle, I use a non-battery illuminated reticle Trijicon Accu-Point that can also be turned off/on as needed.

I used to used plain red dot tube sights and reflex sights, but never in a very bright area or when snow was on the ground, as the dot can get washed out, and there's no other reticle in most (if not all) of them.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12