RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Light slug loads

Boolit Master

Light slug loads

I'm sure this has been asked and answered on this forum before but I couldn't find it. Anyone loading slugs with lighter charges of faster shotgun powder?

The loading manuals I have all list heavy charges of slow powder for slug loads, and I'd rather try something like Unique. I have a Lyman mold that I've had for decades. I used to load up heavy loads using Blue Dot, but don't see the point anymore in burning massive quantities of powder and beating up my shoulder with those loads.

I see on the Hodgdon site they have loads for Universal and slugs. I have a bunch of Unique and I know Universal is very similar. I plan on carefully working up a load but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks all!

I use Unique for a .69 cal RB slug load in 12ga. 23g gives mid 1,300 fps and fairly easy recoil. Roll crimp, 12s3 wad or blue duster wad and a couple 20ga NCs to get the ball not tye petals to open the crimp. Win compressiin formed hulls and 209a primers. Load is for 3-gun shoots and plinking, i have never hunted with this load. Accuracy varies alot depending on what gun i tried.

BB

Fatelk: Try 18 gr of Green Dot with your Lyman Slugs or .662 pumpkin balls. This is a standard Trap Load with a slug substituted for the shot. works just fine and won't beat you up.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I used a shot load for Tight Group from rhe Hogdon site and substituted a Lee slug of equal weight. It worked great out to 25 yards and was curiously accurate with my bead sights. Havent pursued it further yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look at the Slugs R Us site info here:

http://slugsrus.com/Load-Data-12GA.html

they list a light load of Green Dot similar to what Randy mentions.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone. That definitely gives me somewhere to start. I kind of figured an ounce of lead is an ounce of lead, so some variation of birdshot loads should be able to work.