Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Smoke powder

Boolit Bub

Smoke powder

I keep seeing reference to Smokes powder, where do I find this? Is it as good or better than Eastwood or powder by the pound? Just getting started and trying to figure out which powder to get.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Smoke is known as Smoke4320 on here. Search for him and the thread about High Quality Powder for DT or Spraying, and you will find the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Awesome! Thanks!!

Boolit Master
    I won't say Smoke's powder is better, what I will say is he is selling a quality powder that has been tried by many on this site, including myself, and found to do an excellent job using the tumble coating method, which most here use. If you are going to spray coat every powder I know of will work, but not so if you tumble coat. I recommend Smoke's powder for those first starting out simply because if they have coating problems we know it is not the powder, it is the application.

Boolit Bub
    I do plan on using a spare tumbler I have for coating. I sent smoke a message and will likely order from him to eliminate as many variables as possible as I get started in this endeavor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geslayton View Post
    I do plan on using a spare tumbler I have for coating. I sent smoke a message and will likely order from him to eliminate as many variables as possible as I get started in this endeavor

If you plan on using a tumbler dedicated for powder coating I would suggest making some modifications to get the best results.

All the tumblers I have tried are too aggressive, so I modified a small tumbler, by removing the bowl, and replacing it with a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket with a #5 recycle code. I cut a piece of rubber floor mat for a spacer placed under the bucket. My bucket is secured with a 1/4x20 screw through the center. I made a plywood base and secured it all with a couple of 3/8" allthreads. By adjusting the tension on the all thread nuts I can control the amount of vibration. I tumble 6 pounds of bullets at a time. The bucket's lid keeps the powder contained.

If you live in a high humid environment preheating the bullets (less than 150F) helps tremendously with the powder bonding. Preheating and dropping the bullets in a running tumbler works really well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	241352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	241353

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1736.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	241352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1738.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	241353
    Nice mods Richard

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by geslayton View Post

I would suggest you gave the ASBBDT (air soft bb dry transfer) method a shot before you go any further. Honestly using these containers here

https://www.target.com/p/ziploc-twis...t/-/A-13969192

Smoke does recommend them, and some air soft BB, 1 teaspoon of powder..shake literally about 10-15 times and the bullets are well coated with Smokes Bacon Grease or Tiger Drylac blue. Just that simple. I have tried hard to make it NOT work by putting in a LOT of bullets and it still works as long as there is 25% extra room to shake them.

I usually swirl them kinda about a half dozen times, shake up and down another half dozen, roll the container completely over and vertical shake a couple more times and done.

Using a container like that it is also SUPER easy to try a new color or brand of powder, just start a new container.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the containers mentioned by Willbird. Menards also has them if they are near you.

I may have to try the process he mentions, becuase I was still doing the swirl for 30 seconds the shake up and down hard for 30 seconds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Banned
    The gold standard for starting ASBBDT is cool whip containers. they are a good size to get the boolits moving.
    on the west coast, Safeway/Albertsons has great size, screw top container 3 for $2.50

I ordered some of these to try, they look like what I use under a different name
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...?selected=true

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    The gold standard for starting ASBBDT is cool whip containers. they are a good size to get the boolits moving.
    on the west coast, Safeway/Albertsons has great size, screw top container 3 for $2.50

I ordered some of these to try, they look like what I use under a different name
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...?selected=true
    I found some snap top lids from IKEA that work white well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Interesting containers from IKEA
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Basically, any plastic container with a #5 recycle code works and a locking lid is preferable. My problem is I want more bullets coated and a shake it yourself container can not do 6+ pounds if bullets at a time.

Boolit Master

My favorite, easily, are round snap-loc containers. I use small and larger size with black BBs. They look like those from IKEA in the pic above.

Boolit Mold
    Is there a current list with photo of in stock colors and prices. Interested in gray and copper colors. Would like a pound of each? Tried the harbor freight to see if powder coating was something I wanted to do. See Smoke4320 powders talked about on different forums and want to try them.

Boolit Master