Thread: Winchester receiver sights

Winchester receiver sights

Did the 94, 92 and 71 all use the same sight? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    I have a Williams 5D on my 71 (Browning) - same sight fits the 94 - never saw a 92 tapped for a reciever sight (maybe Rossi did that?) 92's all had a little Lyman tang sight or you can fit a Marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post

No - the Models 92 & 92 sights interchange; but, while the sight base from a M-92/94 will fit, the horizontal aperture bar for a Model 71 will be longer, to fit the Model 71 & Model 1886/86 greater receiver width.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=pietro;4643467]No - the Models 92 & 92 sights interchange; but, while the sight base from a M-92/94 will fit, the horizontal aperture bar for a Model 71 will be longer, to fit the Model 71 & Model 1886/86 greater receiver width.

Actually .....NO is incorrect ....the Williams 5D will fit all three without any bother at all
    I just checked ..I have all three rifles and two of the sights .. however if the 92 is an original winchester the reciever is not D&T for a reciever sight so you would need a gunsmith to do that - my Browning 71 and Winchester 94 are both tapped and the same sight fits em both just fine.

Thanks folks!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    No - the Models 92 & 92 sights interchange; but, while the sight base from a M-92/94 will fit, the horizontal aperture bar for a Model 71 will be longer, to fit the Model 71 & Model 1886/86 greater receiver width.
    Actually .....NO is incorrect ....the Williams 5D will fit all three without any bother at all - my Browning 71 and Winchester 94 are both tapped and the same sight fits em both just fine.

Maybe you can let us know why receiver sight manufacturers make different receiver sight for the W M-71 & M-94....

Williams Gun Sight Co makes separate model Fool Proof sights for the Winchester M-94 & M-71 (94-FP & 71-FP), and no 5D-71 receiver sight for the M-71.

Also, Lyman likewise markets two different sights ( Model 66A/Win 94 & Model 66MA/Win 71) for the rifles...…………………………….

IME, when a receiver sight for a Model 94 is mounted on a Model 71, the sighting aperture ends up at the RH end of the aperture holder bar - which can sometimes make zeroing the windage problematic.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Maybe you can let us know why receiver sight manufacturers make different receiver sight for the W M-71 & M-94....

Williams Gun Sight Co makes separate model Fool Proof sights for the Winchester M-94 & M-71 (94-FP & 71-FP), and no 5D-71 receiver sight for the M-71.

Also, Lyman likewise markets two different sights ( Model 66A/Win 94 & Model 66MA/Win 71) for the rifles...…………………………….

IME, when a receiver sight for a Model 94 is mounted on a Model 71, the sighting aperture ends up at the RH end of the aperture holder bar - which can sometimes make zeroing the windage problematic.

Pietro
    Williams 5D sight on my Browning 71
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	williams sight on 71.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	241516

You ask how come different models -- I think they call it inventory stacking or something like that.....most companys do it, the more models they can create the more inventory held (and paid for) at the local level.

Maybe a slightly longer cross bar would be more pretty - but you can see from the picture that the sight I have fits just fine - its zero at 100yards for a 225 grain gascheck - over 56 grains of W760 - 2350 FPS

Windage zero is not a problem, my sight is set on mark 13 of 20 and the front sight is still dead centre in its dovetail.
    My sight has two sets of holes tapped in the aperture bar for the hold down screws.

Its all good mate ................