ADvertise hereTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Divorce and suicide

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    "Where in such beliefs is the love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control?"

This is indeed a valid question to pose to followers. I'm not trying to convince you to believe, I'm just sharing why I believe. You are a free agent, as are all of us, peace be with you friend.
    Neither am I seeking to persuade you to abandon your belief. I refer in general to the desire to see a lot more of Christian goodness and a lot less of what I see, quite candidly, a brooding hatred of unbelievers among so many (not you).

Banned
    Much is made of God giving his only begotten son to save the world's sinners. (Please forgive the possible inaccurate words but you get the gist) This is one thing (of many) that puzzles me greatly. Jesus was one part of the Holy Trinity. As part of that holy mystery he was the Son of God, but also God Himself. If that's true then the crucifixion of Jesus was no great sacrifice at all. Jesus knew what was coming. God knew the suffering of every crucified person ever. Jesus knew for certain that he would be resurrected, as did God. In that great scheme of things that was really no big deal for either God or Jesus. Or are we saying that God couldn't cope with Crucifixion? This is a genuine query and I'm not being flippant but there is a clear and obvious contradiction in sentiments here.

Banned

Wow
    So Jesus being fully man, and fully God, did not have trepidation at the prospect of torture and crucifixion?????
    Our Father, God in Heaven did not comprehend the ultimate sacrifice of his only begotten Son?????
    The Bible make clear God's feelings about being a Father
    The Bible clearly states Jesus' state of mind.
    Break out a Bible, study it, and then post here.
    Your post is disrespectful and insulting on every level, temporal and ultimate.

Name:  008532dfa3752eb6c1b5e5adf8855a9e.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  10.3 KB
    Last edited by jmort; 07-16-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    Much is made of God giving his only begotten son to save the world's sinners..... Jesus was one part of the Holy Trinity. As part of that holy mystery he was the Son of God, but also God Himself. If that's true then the crucifixion of Jesus was no great sacrifice at all.
    Few Christians, even few educated ministers, actually understand the difference between the spiritual "Son of God" and Jesus' own description of himself as "the son of man". When the time came, the Son of God set aside his Godhood and took on flesh. Thus, Jesus was born, lived, worked and died as a man, as one of us, but without sin. So, yes, the Son of God certainly knew what his coming sacrifice would entail, a human pain that can't be described, but that wasn't the worst part.

Jesus didn't "save" us from mortal death, he died in the flesh and we will also face that. It was his short lived spiritual death while still on the cross that he has saved us from!

As a man, Jesus dreaded and sweat "as it were, great drops of blood" for the cross but also from the coming horror of total separation from all the good things of life, i.e., spiritual separation from God. THAT spiritual death was - and remains - a painful penalty worse than physical death! That separation is exactly what he was experiencing when he cried, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!" When that awful "second death" (spiritual separation) was completed he said "It is finished!" even tho he still lived. Then, as spirit, he gave up his "ghost" and exited his body to wait for its resurrection.

Jesus knew what was coming. God knew the suffering of every crucified person ever. Jesus knew for certain that he would be resurrected, as did God. In that great scheme of things that was really no big deal for either God or Jesus. Or are we saying that God couldn't cope with Crucifixion?
    Sure, in both of his natures Jesus knew - and clearly dreaded - what was coming but he did it anyway so no one else would need to. So, it was the son of man who hung on that cross AND it HURT. But even the agonizing pain of the beatings and the cross paled when he was briefly abandoned by God so don't ever minimise what that brutally tortured, very human man of flesh did for us.

This is a genuine query and I'm not being flippant but there is a clear and obvious contradiction in sentiments here.
    The Bible should be our standard, not opinions or special denominational precepts. To resolve Biblical questions we need to let scripture prove scripture. A lot of well meaning "contradictions" rise from incomplete Biblical knowledge and subsequent efforts from honest human SWAGs trying to find answers to what is unknown or misunderstood. That's why we have so many denominations full of good people!

The Bible is our only faithful anchor, lose it and we're adrift in a dreadfully stormy sea of man's makings. So, where the Word is clear, and it usually is, we can be (MUST BE!) dogmatic on the critical points of Christianity but where the Word is unclear or the issue is small we all need to be more forgiving. Fact is, none of us knows it all (Sadly, not even me!) and that alone should make each of us a bit humble when opposing other folk's opinions without compelling scripture.

(Even your opinions. Well ... some of them. )

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678