RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made Baked Beans .

Boolit Mold

Home made Baked Beans .

I would appreciate some assistance with recipes , or suggestions , for home made Baked Beans . Have eaten canned Heinz beans with Ham Sauce for the past several years , and feel that I would like to try to make my own , preferably with Chorizo and plenty of garlic .
    Many thanks,
    Mzzldr

Boolit Master
    I'm in!

I would also like to see some good "home made" recipes, please! If anyone would like to share...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

This is my favorite home-made version. I was lucky enough to find a proper Crock Pot brand "bean pot" at a local thrift shop and I use it to make my home-made beans. These are great with fresh cornbread on the side!

Canadian Cowboy Beans

1 pound or so of soaked, boiled, and pre-prepared white pinto beans (or a mix of beans, your choice). Prepare them by soaking the beans covered in water overnight, drain and rinse several times next morning, then cover with fresh water and bring beans to a full boil for about 10 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for at least three hours until the beans are just tender. Drain off the water and hold the beans aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

½ pound of bacon diced
    2 cups of chopped onions
    1 teaspoon of chili powder
    1 teaspoon of “Creole” seasoning (whatever your favorite brand)
    1 ½ teaspoons of salt
    ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
    4 to 6 cloves of minced garlic (I use 6 of course!)
    1 large can of chopped tomatoes c/w the juice
    1 (12 ounce) bottle of lager or ale
    ½ cup of Maple syrup
    ½ cup of packed brown sugar
    ½ cup of chicken stock
    ½ cup of Canadian rye whiskey
    2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
    1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
    2 bay leaves

In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium high heat until brown and fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the onions, chili powder, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper, and cook stirring often until the onion is soft and clear, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes with their juice and cook a further 2 minutes or so. It’s not listed in the recipe, but I also add about 2 to 3 diced bell peppers to the mix as well.

Add the beer, maple syrup, sugar, chicken stock, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire and the 2 bay leaves. Stir it all very well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the cooked, previously prepared beans to it all and bring to a boil. Add the bacon pieces that you removed earlier. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Then remove the lid and continue to simmer until all is tender, about 1 ½ to 2 hours more, stirring occasionally adding a bit more water or chicken stock as needed to keep the beans covered. At the end, I thicken the bean mixture by bringing them to a boil again and adding 6 to 8 tablespoons of Masa Harena (corn flour) thoroughly mixed with some cold water.

If you can be patient enough, they’re even better if they are made a day in advance, left overnight to cool and thicken, and then re-heated to be served the next day. Just like stews, they taste WAY better on the 2nd or 3rd day after all the flavours mix, rather than on the day they are first made …

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

This is the other version that I like too ...

Boston Baked Beans (traditional Bean Pot method)

1 - 2 1/2-quart bean pot (or covered casserole)
    2 pounds beans
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    1 pound salt pork (or bacon or ham)
    1 medium onion -- peeled and diced into large pieces
    8 tablespoons of brown sugar
    2/3 cup molasses
    2 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 325° F. Place the baking soda in a large pot and fill half way with water (about 6 cups). Bring to a boil and add the beans. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and run cold water through them. Set them aside.

Dice the salt pork (or bacon or ham) into 1-inch squares. Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean pot, along with the onion. Put beans in the pot. Put the remaining salt pork on top of the beans.

Mix the brown sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with about 3 cups of saved hot water from the beans and pour over top (or add more until the beans are just covered). Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the preheated oven. Bake for about 6 hours. Check pot periodically to check the amount of liquid remaining. Add a bit of water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist, but do not flood them. Remove the pot from the oven and serve warm.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

If you want to add some beef and make a real meal out of it you could also try this recipe ...

Cattleman's Beef and Beans in a Crock Pot

1 lb. dried pinto beans
    6 c. water
    3 lbs. beef brisket or round roast
    1 lg. onion, chopped
    1/2 c. dark molasses
    2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 bay leaf

1. Rinse beans under running water, place in a large kettle with water; bring to boiling; cover kettle; lower heat; cook 15 minutes; let stand 1 hours.
    2. Trim all excess fat from beef; brown meat on all sides in remaining fat in a large skillet.
    3. Place meat in the bottom of the slow cooker; add beans and liquid, onion, molasses, salt, ginger, mustard, pepper and bay leaf. Add more water, if needed to cover meat and beans; cover.
    4. Cook on high for 2 hours, stir beans, adding more liquid if needed to keep beans and meat covered.
    5. Turn heat control to low and cook for 8 hours, or until beans are very tender and liquid is absorbed. Taste and season with a spoonful of hot prepared mustard, if you wish.
    6. Remove meat to a carving board and cut into slices; spoon beans around beef on platter.

Boolit Master

2 lbs dried pinto beans.
    2 or 3 smoked ham hocks.
    1/2-lb ham—diced.
    1/2-cup chorizo (Mexican sausage)—casing removed and crumbled.
    6 slices fried bacon—chopped or crumbled.
    5 Roma tomatoes or 3 large slicing tomatoes chopped.
    1 medium onion chopped.
    1/2-cup cilantro finely chopped.
    4 cloves garlic finely chopped.
    6 jalapeño peppers—finely sliced (serrano peppers optional—hotter)
    2 tablespoons cornstarch.
    1 small green pepper—chopped (optional)
    1 tomatillo (Mexican husk tomato)—chopped (optional)
    Salt to taste (not too much)

Soak pinto beans overnight. Put beans and water in crockpot, cook on low 6-8 hours along with all ingredients except the cilantro. Add cilantro the last half hour of cooking or on top of soup when served.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

heres my recipe. Doesn't need to be exact as its probably never the same twice
    One bag navy beans
    one bag pinto beans
    soak both over night pick out the floaters and drain off the water and put them in a large pot or two smaller ones and add water and bring to a boil. Then I take the beans and half the water and put them in a large roasting pan.
    add two cut up onions
    one lb bacon raw
    on jar molasses
    5 cloves of thinly sliced garlic or garlic powder equivalent.
    one tightly packed cup of brown sugar
    1/4 cup mustard
    1/4 cup worcesester sauce
    2 table spoons of monteal steak seasoning.
    put roaster in the oven and cook for 4-6 hours on 300 until the beans get to near (just shy) of the thickness you want.
    then I add one can of hunts spaghetti sauce and a lb of raw home made breakfast sausage and let cook for 30 minutes(don't add either before then or it will make the beans taste burnt)
    then I put it in quart canning jars and put it in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes at at least 6 psi. No longer or you will turn the beans to mush. Aint rocket science you can add anything you like or adjust anything to your taste. Like I said this is ball park. I don't measure much of anything.

Boolit Master

Try the yellow eye dry bean, only place I've ever been able to find them is in the new England area. Was used in the original Boston Bake Beans. My wife's aunt still makes them at 84 years old.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

My recipe--- all ingredients and amounts are negotiable. From time to time, I add about 1/2 cup honey to it. Wife is diabetic, so I have to watch sugars. Add hot sauce or peppers to heat it up. I'm the only one around here that likes it hot, so I just add 1/2 tsp cayenne to my serving at the table.

Baked Beans (8-10 servings depending on appetites)

1 pound Beans, great northern, navy, pinto, your choice
    ½ pound Bacon
    1 cup chopped Onions, about 1 large
    1 cup Tomato sauce
    1 cup Water
    2 tbs mustard
    2 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
    3/4 cup brown Sugar
    1 tbs Garlic powder
    1 tsp Salt, table
    1/8 tsp pepper, black

You can cook the beans before if you want, crisp the bacon, remove and add onions to the bacon grease to cook--I kind of caramelize mine. Add all the ingredients, combine thoroughly and then put in a casserole and cover with foil, let 'em cook for (350) for an hour and then remove foil for another 30 minutes. I have a couple of cast iron pans that I have done them in and they were good.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

What we do

Dice an onion and 1/2 a bell pepper and cook it in a skillet with butter. Then add a quart can of pork n beans, a swirl of mustard (2 table spoons worth), and probably 1/4-1/3 cup brown sugar. Mix it well and cook on medium till the water reduces. Or, instead of reducing it in the skillet, dump in a baking pan and bake at 400 I'd guess 20-30 minutes. Till it looks right.

Boolit Master
    Canned beans have an advantage for texture and convenience.

My Wife's "family recipes" have all gravitated towards doctoring up canned baked beans per your preferences instead of cooking dry beans from scratch.

For example:
    2 cans of ShowBoat pork and beans
    1/4 c ketchup
    1/4c brown sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
    1 large yellow onion cut up
    1/4 tsp ground mustard
    A pound of bacon, fried.

Mix everything together except the bacon. Put it in a 9x13 cake pan. Lay the fried bacon slices on top.

Bake at 350 about an hour or until bubbling.

The real key to the recipe is the bacon. You will probably have to try out the recipe several times with several different types of bacon as it has a GIANT impact on the flavor. You can shift the same recipe from bland to savory to smoky to rich and delicious by simply changing the bacon.

A good starting point is Smithfield Homestyle smoked or Oscar Meyer bacon. Gwaltney has more of a bland nondescript flavor. Some others have a much stronger or richer flavor. Still others can taste chemicaly (not good).

Moderator Emeritus

Pound of bacon cut in bite sized pieces ad fried off(save the fat!!!)
    Large jar Great Northern white beans (or soak and cook your own, 48oz cooked jar of Randall brand)
    Chopped large onion
    2/3 jar molasses
    1/2 cup sugar(I do this to taste)
    Black pepper to taste
    Teaspoon dried mustard(to taste... I just dump some in...)

Combine all the above in a crock pot and cook on low for 12 hours... longer they cook the thicker they get!

Boolit Master

There's a lot to be said about using canned beans. We've used them plenty, just spicing them up with additional flavorings, such as bacon, brown sugar or honey, mustard, vegetables, etc. A good short-cut when time is of the essence. A lot of people want traditional slow cooked beans. Your choice. Just a matter of preference. As said, I've done 'em both ways. Each turned out great and greatly enjoyed.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

#4 & #9 remind me of my Grandma Milly's version.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Try the yellow eye dry bean, only place I've ever been able to find them is in the new England area. Was used in the original Boston Bake Beans. My wife's aunt still makes them at 84 years old.
    I started out reading this thread and was thinking, "ya ain't had baked beans unless they where yellow eyed beans! ". I tried them several years ago (ordered them) and holy moley, they are the best dry bean I've ever eaten! The best baked bean by far! I ordered seed and now grow my own. Other beans are what I eat when I'm away from home.
    I think they are a less productive bean to grow is the only reason Great Northern and Navy beans are even on the shelf.

Boolit Mold
    Re Baked beans recipes and hints . My thanks to each of you who responded . There is enough information in here now to keep me busy/entertained/well satisfied for quite some time in the future .Again , thanks to all.
    MZZLDR

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the sharing from me too!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Just made a large batch of home-made baked beans last night. This batch was too big to fit into my little bean pot so I had to resort to using one of my big cast iron Dutch ovens instead ... now they just need to age for a day or so in the fridge so that all of the flavourings will meld ...

Banned
    Van camps pork and beans in the can simple recipe.

Add brown sugar.
    Dehydrated onion,
    brown sugar
    mustard
    liquid smoke

All of these to taste and cook
    Not a fancy recipe just a quick and easy one to make. My beans always get eaten and the bowl empty.

Boolit Master

I am another that starts with canned beans.

I use Grandma Brown’s available in the northeast made in Mexico.......NY.

Two 32 oz cans.
    A cup of ketchup
    Up to A quarter cup of brown mustard
    A half a cup of Molassas
    A half a cup or more of brown sugar
    Cover top of baking pan with squares of sliced bacon. If you just lay out whole slices your big sister scoops them leaving none behind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast