MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Holster I made.

Blackhawk Holster I made.

I am working on this holster for my super blackhawk. A friend wanted me to make him a holster for his heritage, and as a result I had some spare leather. This is my first attempt at a pancake holster as I normally make cheyenne or california patterns for cowboy guns. I did all the cutting with my pocketknife, and stitched it by hand. I used a 1/16 drill bit for drilling the holes.

Its still in process, I have to figure out what im going to finish it with. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    I used sno-seal, it will also help burnish edges and belt hole

Boolit Master
    It looks really good. Nice job.

Looks good!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Vendor Sponsor

What to finish it with? It looks already there to me!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the kind words. It is in fact, still in the raw. I burnished it pretty good, and wore it an hour or two to check it out. I wish i'd put a little more angle on it, but I wont be 100% sure until I wear it a while through my day to day tasks around the farm.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I tried making holster a couple times mine looked nothing like yours . That turned out really nice.

Boolit Master

Very nice!!!!

I like Fiebing's Tan Kote. It is not water proof but the leather can still absorb oil (neatsfoot or similar conditioner) though it if needed. I dislike the same company's Resolene which is an acrylic because it tends to leave a blotchy, overly shiny finish.

That looks like a great holster. Skidmore’s beeswax works good on my factory holsters.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20190501_224249_HDR.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	240930
    Heres my knife sheath, i was basically to your point finished but bare, then wiped sno-seal on the surfaces and smeared it on the edges, re burnished edges and buffed the whole thing. If anything it smells good, is water repelant, and does pretty good job preventing fibers from standing. So you can decide yourself if you like how it looks

Boolit Master
    That is nice .
    I have a tough time with black dye by the time I get enough on to not have splotches the leather is so soaked with dye it is stiff as a board.
    The black on yours looks good.

Thanks for the pic Bmortell. That does look nice. Nice tooling by the way. I'm thinking about dying mine, not sure yet. I made it two years ago probably, just ain't got around to finishing it yet.

Boolit Master
    either way would look good, as is just sealed with a beeswax based product like some of us were mentioning would give an 'authentic' type look to it. or if its not already impregnated with oils or waxes you could easily put a coat of a similar or darker colored alcohol based dye on it before sealing for a new look, guess the downside there is threads would get colored and cost of dye. before any of this you could also soak it, stick the gun in wrapped in saran wrap, vacuum seal in a food saver, and do a re-forming while under vacuum. not saying you need any of this just throwing out options

I wet formed it and boned it. I don't have any dye at present. I do like the contrast of the thread. It's really just a trial holster for me. Basically to learn some more techniques and figure out what I want in a holster for my SBH.

Looks like fine work to me. Even better knowing what tools you used. How long did it take?

Thanks jmorris. I'd guess I've got about 2 1/2, maybe 3 hours in it. I worked on it a little at a time over the course of several days. Course that don't count dry time for the glue or dry time in the oven after wet molding. I glued it with tacky glue, as that's what I had handy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Take a strip of 280 or 320 sand paper and shoe shine the edges of the belt loops. Dampen the edge of the leather in the loop, (spit works well) and then sand the edges smooth.
    Here is a similar holster I made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	240941
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks for the idea glen. I burnished with a dowel, but did have a hard time getting the belt slots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast