MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: totally flying

Boolit Mold

totally flying

Hello Everyone, I just bought and took to the range a Pedersoli Quigley in 45/90. I cast 2 bullets Lee’s 405,and500 gr bullets in pure lead,side ways holes in paper at 15 yards with the 405’s and clean holes with the 500’s.At 100yards nothing on the paper.I plan to recast with 20/1 .I am guessing the lead is to soft.This was my first time with this gun,also I am using pyrodex 90gr compressed 1/4 in.Any insight to my problem would be appreciated. Thanks. Kevin

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Pedersoli's show a preference for bullets .460 diameter, check the diameters of those bullets. 16-1 will likely be your friend in most any bullet you cast for the 45-90.
    Also be mindful of your fouling control, proper use of a blow tube works well with humidity above 40 %, wiping between shots below that.
    .060 fiber wads under the bullet.
    Lastly don't over look the value of a well proven bullet lube such as Bullshop NASA, and the long time favorites of many SPG, or DGL.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

At 15 yds the paper should catch a lot at 100 the groups are much bigger and drop may be playing a part in no hits. 45-90 still has a rainbow trajectory. Bullet dia may be an issues What size does your 405 and 500 measure in thousandths? My pedersoli likes .460 dia ( its 45-70) but it shoots very well out to 500yds ( farthest Ive shot it).
    More information would be helpful as to loading length dia of bullets

Boolit Master

You might want to try Black Powder. And remember to work up your load.My 45/70 loves pure lead.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-06-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by kevinlz View Post
    Hello Everyone, I just bought and took to the range a Pedersoli Quigley in 45/90. I cast 2 bullets Lee’s 405,and500 gr bullets in pure lead,side ways holes in paper at 15 yards with the 405’s and clean holes with the 500’s.At 100yards nothing on the paper.I plan to recast with 20/1 .I am guessing the lead is to soft.This was my first time with this gun,also I am using pyrodex 90gr compressed 1/4 in.Any insight to my problem would be appreciated. Thanks. Kevin
    Where in Illinois do you shoot?
    Get some help from a shooter that shoots a black powder cartridge rifle that is using black powder at your range.

Kurt

Boolit Master

Might want to try at 25 and 50 yards just to see where they are going.

Boolit Mold
    My moulds are dropping.458 pure lead.Will 20 or16 to1 fill out the moulds better? I don’t belong to a club,I shooot at McMiller in Eagle,Wi.I tried multiple charges of 5 loads.Thanks
    Last edited by kevinlz; 05-06-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I was missing at 25,and went to 15 to get on paper. Thanks

Banned

fwiw, i've had 12 pedersolis with 7 of them sharps and 5 rollers, and still have a pair of sharps. i slugged all the .45's and all were .450 bore and .458 groove, sharps or roller. the thing about any gun is they're all unique as to what they wanna be fed, and it's up to us to figure that out. my suggestions are to use far better bullets than any from lee, and i recommend a lyman #457132/535gr postel and a good black powder lube ... use real 1-1/2f or 2f black powder ... standard LRP ... card wad or wads that equal about .060 ... lightly compress the wad/powder column ... use as little neck tension as possible ... create a COAL just before the rifling. bore site to 50 yards and start testing at that distance. due diligence fouling control between shots - a few wet patches and one dry patch - you can mess with blow tubes and the like later on. you have a lot of testing and learning to do, that's the fun part.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    fwiw, i've had 12 pedersolis with 7 of them sharps and 5 rollers, and still have a pair of sharps. i slugged all the .45's and all were .450 bore and .458 groove, sharps or roller. the thing about any gun is they're all unique as to what they wanna be fed, and it's up to us to figure that out. my suggestions are to use far better bullets than any from lee, and i recommend a lyman #457132/535gr postel and a good black powder lube ... use real 1-1/2f or 2f black powder ... standard LRP ... card wad or wads that equal about .060 ... lightly compress the wad/powder column ... use as little neck tension as possible ... create a COAL just before the rifling. bore site to 50 yards and start testing at that distance. due diligence fouling control between shots - a few wet patches and one dry patch - you can mess with blow tubes and the like later on. you have a lot of testing and learning to do, that's the fun part.
    With all due respect - there is something seriously wrong here that throwing away his LEE molds is not gonna fix
    heres the 405 LEE out of a Marcheno sharps @100yards - no cleaning - no blowing - only seven cuz I ran out - but can shoot a string of 12 most days without fouling out - there was a tricky little crosswind the day this was shot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190505_180252.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	241185

heres the LEE 459-500-3R out of a 1876 Uberti 45/75 (Pedersoli barrel they tell me) two separate little three shot groups at 100yards

Name:	Lee 459-500-3R.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	241186
    You fellers have educated me about this boolit - in the wind past 400yards it is hopeless (unstable) - but at shorter ranges - (out to 300) shoots fine
    Getting a better boolit might make the difference of halving a three inch group at 100yards (I doubt even that) but something else serious and basic is haywire here
    1) give the pyrodex to someone you hate and get some decent blackpowder
    2) ditch the pure lead for an alloy - Don says 16:1 - mine is? I dunno, fairly soft, the boolit scratches nicely with a B pencil, almost resists a 2B - proly equivalent to half WW and half lead - a little bit of linotype in there to get some tin - I am cheap, tin is expensive - my boolits from the LEE molds drop at 462-ish and I size em to 460.
    3) check your bore size and boolit size - Pedersolis like fat boolits
    4) a decent wad to protect the boolit base 45 to 60 thou - gasket material, card, veggie wad, LDPE poly, HDPE poly, take yr pick they all seem to work for somebody.
    5) clean every skerrick of lube off of the boolit base before ya load it in the case - maybe add a newsprint wad (or two) to make sure the main wad is not stuck to the boolit base
    6)proper blackpowder lube - buy some SPG to start off then make yr own later if ya want.
    7) weigh yr boolits out of those LEE molds and shoot em in batches by weight - you will for sure get more consistent boolits out of a more classy (expensive) mold but if they fit yr barrel and ya have em at consistent weight that Pedersoli should put em inside three inches at 100 yards as a starting point. The upside to those LEE boolits is the lube they carry - fouling issues are way less or even a non event.
    8) all the tips the boys above have already told are relevant - my checklist here not in order of importance either.
    You have got a darn fine rifle - just looks like ya missed something simple in the initial rash of enthusiasm - relax and enjoy it and it will figure out.
    Last edited by indian joe; 05-06-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I am going to cast 16/1 alloy and mic them,hopefully they will be larger.Also I didn’t put a wad under the bullets.A question about pyrodex,I use pyrodex in my green mountain lrh barrel and use a hollow base 405 gr bullet,and group 1in at 100 yds open sights, does pyrodex act differently in a cartridge?

does pyrodex act differently in a cartridge?
    No, Only on these forums !!!!

I am going to cast 16/1 alloy and mic them,hopefully they will be larger.Also I didn’t put a wad under the bullets.A question about pyrodex,I use pyrodex in my green mountain lrh barrel and use a hollow base 405 gr bullet,and group 1in at 100 yds open sights, does pyrodex act differently in a cartridge?
    I have a friend that the only thing his Marlin 93 in 38-55 will shoot worth a poop is Pyrodex select. I tried Pyrodex a long time ago when it first came out and that stuff liked a lot of compression, I don't know if that compression thing has changed or not as I was never able to see any real benefit to it.
    Bullet diameter with grease grooves it's best to match that with the diameter of the chamber lead and throat. Dick Trenk who was the Pedersoli US representative several years back, came up with a bullet design that measure .462 diameter that worked well in those rifles.

Boolit Master
    I think you have it sorted - alloy boolit and a wad under

Take the base plug off that LEE 405 mold and turn the tit off it so it makes a flat base boolit instead of the hollow base - works better with a wad.

Pyrodex ? Just need to be more particular with your cleaning with pyrodex than with black (they told us the opposite years ago when it came on the market)

Banned

if yer loading groove lubed bullets over black powder, you don't need 16:1 alloy. you need good cast 20:1 or 30:1 properly lubed bullets. as in the arrow is more important than the bow, the cartridge/bullet is most important - start with a known good one that's won matches and cast carefully. the rest is in that cartridge build and its adjustment according to what it and yer rifle tells you via POI. you have proper component builds to make and work to do at the range.

Strange thing is quite a few of the folks winning matches these days using a proven bullet are using 16-1 alloy.. Or a blend of wheel weights, and lino or antimony and pure lead to come out with an alloy similar in hardness to 16-1 or even Lyman #2.. Large charges of powder such as cartridges bigger than the 45-70 use do much better with harder alloy.
    Interesting reading in the old ammunition catalogs when they describe the alloy of the bullet..

Banned

when bullets are flying sideways, it ain't its alloy composition. best to start with basics and work up a load.

Yup , such as using a wad under the bullet, and good fouling control, and making sure the bullet isn't so small that it allows gas cutting etc, so it's not filling the throat with large deposits of lead.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Yup , such as using a wad under the bullet, and good fouling control, and making sure the bullet isn't so small that it allows gas cutting etc, so it's not filling the throat with large deposits of lead.

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	348 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	241233

Boolit Man
    I'd be interested to know if you're witnessing any leading in your barrel. That's a surefire sign of either gas cutting, or if you're using too soft of an alloy.

Also if I remember correctly, I read a bunch of comments about pyrodex exhibiting poor consistency in pressure and velocity when compressed more than 0.125" to .25". Like others have said, I recommend switching to real black powder for both accuracy as well as life span of your rifle. I've seen Pyrodex turn a beautiful rifle into a tetanus inducing sight in a very short time.
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast