Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Polishing Compound Grades vs Colors

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Polishing Compound Grades vs Colors

I bought a kit of polishing compounds and mandrels. I have six blocks of grit in different colors, but nothing that tells me which color is which grit. Is there a standard for the colors or is there a way to find out which is which?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Red is usually coarse. White is fine. I've seen black and green coarse as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

For what it's worth, I have green for use on brass and copper.

Boolit Master

The finest one I have is white, it will polish to a wonderful finish. A bit OT, but does anyone know what those little Dremel things that are like grit loaded pencil erasers are called and where can I find them?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    The finest one I have is white, it will polish to a wonderful finish. A bit OT, but does anyone know what those little Dremel things that are like grit loaded pencil erasers are called and where can I find them?
    Try Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, Ace, & True Value.

Boolit Grand Master

In the tool room we had cratex rubber bonded diamond. once dressed they polished very well. Also had hand sticks in different sizes.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of times for polishing and light work we used a nylon brush ( cup, face, or wheel) and various rouges or diamond compounds. A Dremel at 20,000 rpm does okay a air frinder in the 50,000- 60,000 rpm does better My 100,000 rpm with the right mounted points is fast and quick. The brushes really do a nice even job.
    With the sticks I have black is coarsest for heavy removal, brown is next. White is a medium, green is for soft materials and pre buff to get surface started, and red is for fine finishing. What I would recommend is take a small piece of scrap and test / practice a little. Better is to use several pieces of scrap of different materials ( brass, aluminuum, stainless , Steel, and even plastic). This not only shows what the different compound do but also gives you an idea of the what and how when it comes up.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing for safety is 1) make sure the mounted points, mandrels, brushes are rated for your machines rpms. 2) when starting a freshly mounted point start it well under the bench top, And dress it under the bench top. this way the bench shields you if the shaft bends or the tool lets go ( explodes). Once dressed and running they are balanced and running true. Ive seen mounted grinding points turn dust when started, shafts bend, and chunks come off. In a wand or pencil grinder when a shaft bends its a real hand full to get turned off. Another is if possible start slow and speed up gradually as the point proves itself. Mount points as short as possible to the collet. The shorter mounting makes it a stiffer set up and helps

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Mine goes red finest then brown white and black is the course . But different manufacturers may be different.

Boolit Master
    Years back I bought some polishing compounds that were literally about the about the size of bricks. Black,white,brown, grey, green and one other. In my limited experience with these narrowed it down to this, white is fine, green works good on brass and guns, brown is like an emery compound and still have not ID what the other does. They weigh about 6lbs apiece. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I found that black my black is the best to start with and then pink. I have white, but haven’t tried it, because I don’t need any finer.