MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.65x53 load

Boolit Grand Master

7.65x53 load

Anyone got a good load for a long rifle????

Boolit Master
    Use either the Hornady .312 174 RN bullets or the Sierra .311 180 spitzer

Use the starting to middle loads of 4895 for excellent accuracy and long case life.

There maybe other very good bullets but I have used both of these in both the .303 Brit and the 7.65 Mausers with excellent results.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I'm having good success with the Lyman 314299GC, using the 7.65 loads in the Cast Bullet Handbook.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

314299 cast of COWW + 2% tin sized .314 with Hornady GC over 28 gr H4895 with a 3/4 - 1 gr Dacron filler. Bullets seated so the lube groove is just covered. Using 2500+ lube these days. 1750 - 1800 +/- fps.

L C312-185-1R cast of COWWs +2% tin sized 314 (basically as cast) over 24 gr AA5744.

Hornady 150 gr SP .312 bullet over 52.5 gr H380, WLR Primer, reformed cases from 8x57 R-P brass. 2797 fps from 24" barrel at measured 54,000 psi. Four consecutive sub moa 3 shot groups.

Attachment 241187
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Lyman 314299 over 16gr SR4759 for a plinking load
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by 7br View Post
    Lyman 314299 over 16gr SR4759 for a plinking load
    Thank you Mark, I'll have to try that. If it's good enough for a great '06 cast load, it's good enough for the Mosin!

(ain't it funny how many .30's the same general loads go so well.)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

That video is gone Hamish...
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Considering the age and potential use of the rifle, I'd recommend using 303 British loads as the cartridges are almost identical except for the rim shape.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

I have been told by several structural engineers the steel used in Mausers, or other modern rifles made the last 100 +/- years does not weaken with age. If anyone can show me a scientific reason/study/tests where the steel does weaken with age (opinions on the internet are not scientific reasons) I will change my opinion.

The steel fire arm action may weaken because it is stressed beyond it's tensile strength. However, if stressed under that tensile strength the number of times it can be so stressed is infinite. Almost all firearms made of modern steel will out last several owners at least unless abused or worn out. A M91 or M1909 chambered in 7.65 Argentine is just as strong today as it was when made, unless it was abused or is worn out. I might add that wearing out with a bolt action from shooting alone takes far more ammunition and numerous barrels than any of us have........The use of full powered 7.65x53 ammunition comparable in psi to the original ammunition will not stress the action beyond it's tensile strength regardless of the number of rounds fired.

Of course everyone is free to load for their firearms however they choose. Not too many years ago many used to proffer the use of the old Norma 150 gr SP for use in M91s because it was deemed "safe" for the actions that were only made for 45,000 psi...... notice today Norma does not offer that supposedly "safe" load anymore. Might have something to do with the psi of that factory ammo actually being a measured 66,900 psi........ Norma now loads a 170 gr bullet at a modest 55,900 psi (measured).

SAAMI does not list the 7.65 Argentine/Belgian cartridge. C.I.P. (the European counterpart to SAAMI) lists 56,500 as the Pmap (MAP) for the 7.65x53 Argentine cartridge. I have measured the psi (in a M91 Argentine Mauser) of several different types of milsurp and 7.65 Argentine factory ammunition and a couple lots of 7.65 Belgian ammunition. Excluding the old Norma 150 gr SP ammunition the rest, milsurp and factory, ran from 52,200 psi to 56,300 psi (Hornady factory).
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Amen Larry. I no longer try to reason with those that say a WW II action has weakened with age or WW I for that matter. Show me scientific based data or I'm not biting on that argument. james

Imr 4198 with ideal 311413, this load give great results and that smile!
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

314299 sized to .313 over 13 grains of BA 9 powder. Amazingly accurate in a Mauser 1891.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot the Norma 150grain loading way back when(over 30 years ago). Velocity was around 2900 fps if I remember right which is about what a good 30-06 load will do. Later on both the velocity and pressures were reduced. Do not have a time table for this. have one carbine, and two sporters with very good bbls so will only shoot cast bullets. Went through a few bubba'd 1891's and bores are shot so will do the lathe thing and save the actions for parts. Did run across one bolt that has a crack in the bolt face which is something I've never seen before. Frank

You could use loads listed for the 30-40 Krag rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Anyone got a good load for a long rifle????
    abunaitoo,

Are you asking about a Cast Boolit Load? I have a few M1891 and M1909 7.65MM arms and all like my various Cast Boolits.

Adam

In Remembrance

[QUOTE=El Gato;4642803]314299 sized to .313 over 13 grains of BA 9 powder. Amazingly accurate in a Mauser 1891.[/QUOTI must be on the dense side today, but what is BA 9 powder?robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Guy at the range has a long rifle.
    Hard to find loaded ammo here.
    He's been shooting surplus, but is running out.
    I have two 91 carbines.
    Don't shoot them much.
    Looking for cast and condom load suggestions.
    I make my cases out of 270 brass, if that makes a difference.

Boolit Master

The Lee 312-155 sized .313 and loaded over 25 gr. of IMR4198 will equal ball ammo accuracy at 100 yds. from both my '09 carbine and '91 rifle. Btw...all of my 7.65x53 is formed from 50s-vintage '06 military so I doubt that yours from comm'l .270 would make any significant difference with CBs.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Your use of 270 brass to form 7.65 x53 cases is excellent and means it is more than capable of withstanding the pressures of normal jacketed bullet loads let alone any cast bullet loads. You shouldn't have any problems. Just a note; I always, when forming 7.65 cases, adjust the form die and FL sizer so the formed case is a slight "crush" fit in the rifles chamber. That way the cases are formed to the headspace of the rifle and not some smaller arbitrary measurement that fits all chambers. Then on the first firing there is minimal if any case stretch at the expansion web. I also use a shortened Redding 30-06 bushing die to just NS the cases. I use a bushing that gives .003 - .003 neck tension on the diameter bullet used. That also increases case life as the case is only minimally sized during reloading.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Like others I have loaded the 7.65 Arg since the 1980's. My jacketed loads with 150 Hornady and surplus H380 produced right at 2500 fps and were deadly accurate, similar loading of canister H380 44 grains(never believed in hot rodding these old small ring mausers)produced similar results. My favorite cast bullet is the 185 grain Lee of about 14bhn, coww plus some tin at about 16-1700 fps, every deer shot with it died within seconds and at that velocity no meat was lost. The old cast hunters saying of "eat right up to the hole" still gospel for some of us that like game meat.
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast