Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Hornady did good by me

Hornady did good by me

I have a 12 gauge Pacific DL-105 reloading press. I wanted a manual which I was able to download from the Hornady website. I was pleasantly surprised to find that manual available there since Hornady bought Pacific way back in the early 1970's which also happens to be when the DL-105 press was first offered for sale. Thing is 2x as old as needed to buy booze and vote so finding a manufacturer that was still providing the manual was "nice".

I found I didn't have the metal sizing ring insert in the press so used the manual I downloaded to find the part number and I called Hornady. Of course the part was not stocked and marked as obsolete. However the woman put me on hold to check with the techs to see if there was a part that would fit. Lo and behold there was! I'm pretty happy. Now here is the kicker after getting my name and address instead of asking for a credit card number she told me they were sending it out no charge as warranty part. Holy <stuff you can't get by the bad word filter> Warranty part on a press that could be every bit of 45 years old and was made by a company they bought? Felt pretty good to be treated that way I will say.

I have also found Mec good to deal with on getting the parts needed for an older press. I was impressed with how helpful they were. Then Hornady went and raised the bar for customer service several notches.

I was looking for a 20 gauge single stage press and when I saw a 20 gauge Pacific press at a gun show this weekend for a very reasonable price I had no hesitation on buying "that old brand". Both because I like the simplicity of the design and because I know there is at least some support from the manufacturer. Helped that the press was only a few dollars more than cost of shipping a reloading press, making it a good deal on a working press.

Anyway kudos to Hornady on customer service, and if one finds a Pacific DL-105 reloading press in decent condition I would say buy it if the price is good. If nothing else you may just use it as an introduction to shot shell reloading for a friend.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Hornady has done well for me, too. I was trying to resize for 480 brass for a friend, and some of the cases fit the shell holder, some didn't. there was a difference in the rim thickness. All was Hornady brass. Contacted Hornady, and they sent me a new shell holder, free of charge and explained that they had redesigned the cases.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I am glad to hear that they did good by someone. Glad you are happy.

Boolit Grand Master

I have very little Hornady equipment. No particular reason, it just worked out that way. You read a lot of negative stuff about their CS. Its good to read something positive.

Boolit Buddy
    I have also been impressed with the support of the OLD shotgun presses by Hornady. In addition, I bought a couple of older Hornady LNL AP presses from an estate sale a couple years ago. Have had a couple of issues and had the same experience of friendly, no cost service. The best thing is that they tend to do permanent fixes, instead of constantly replacing the same parts over and over. The other advantage of the LNL AP is the quick change over of calibers for a very reasonable price. I have since sold my blue presses, and have not looked back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackpine View Post
    I have also been impressed with the support of the OLD shotgun presses by Hornady. . . . . . . I have since sold my blue presses, and have not looked back.
    So, why would you sell all of those "Blue" presses? That doesn't make any sense to me? My collection of all of those old blue Pacific shotshell and rifle/pistol presses are always a pleasure to use. And with parts still available for them from Hornady, they will probably run on for another 100 years! So, don't give up your blue Pacific presses thinking you will get something better!

Hornady did the same for me after I wreck a neck expander. Was my fault. Called them up because I couldn't find the part in stock at the time. They sent me one free. They have a really funny automated customer service line. It's got some good dry, sarcastic wit.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady has been less than sterling towards me. I was told I used my reloading press too much and had too many small parts break. I think I finally got it fixed up to send it to a friend. Seems to work well for him. Had some die issues and a few other issues with Hornady products

Boolit Master
    Hornady has always been top notch to me. Never had to pay for anything and it’s been a lot.

They've done a good job for me with a post paid free replacement part on a 30-something year old powder measure.

But then again, I didn't call 'em up and start the conversation by pitching a fit either.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    So, why would you sell all of those "Blue" presses? That doesn't make any sense to me? My collection of all of those old blue Pacific shotshell and rifle/pistol presses are always a pleasure to use. And with parts still available for them from Hornady, they will probably run on for another 100 years! So, don't give up your blue Pacific presses thinking you will get something better!
    By "Blue" presses, meant that I had sold my Dillon presses, after getting and using the LNL AP presses.

Boolit Master

Like most posts here, I have nothing but kudos for Hornady. My most used press is Pacific stamped, as well my PM's, scale, and quite a few dies. (bought new in 1981). The few very minor issues (i.e. broken decapping pins and one stuck case) I've had in all that time were always taken care of quickly and easily. Great partner in our sport/hobby!
    Semper Fi!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady has been a good company to deal with for me as well. They have replaced a few die and press items under warranty. Recently they did ask for payment to send me a longer seater die body. There was nothing wrong with the original die. I just wanted more adjustment than the out of box die allowed. Charging for the part was reasonable. They also have a selection of seconds and overrun bullets at good prices if you stop by their plant in Grand Island, Nebraska.

Avogunner - I can see why you like that press. The front brace offset to the right looks to be well clear of the work area. Easy access for the left hand to feed it and front access to see what you are doing.

Part arrived a few days ago. The newer part has the hard steel ring to size the brass mounted in the threaded cap that screws onto depriming/sizing die tube. The original you dropped the steel ring you needed for that hull gauge into the same threaded cap and then screwed cap unto die tube. All gauges used same tube and cap.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat