RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Need 45 colt shell adapter

Boolit Mold

Need 45 colt shell adapter

I just received my Lyman 310 and 45 colt dies. I did not receive a shell adapter. I have not been able to find one. Does anyone have an extra one they would be willing to part with? I don’t mean free. Or any leads on one that is reasonable.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Lyman still sells .45 Colt 310 dies.They probably have the shell adapter.Maybe try calling them?

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, I will

Boolit Grand Master
    There's an ugly rumor going around that Lyman is discontinuing their 310 line after only about 125 years or so. If they don't have them for sale any more, contact Rick at http://cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm since he seems to have about everything for them. I think he gets about $15 for them if I'm reading the posting on his website correctly.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

You probably know this, the 45 Colt uses the same shell adapter as the .45 auto/rim. A #7.
    The 45 ACP is very close to the same base size as the 308/30-06 cases. A #2. If you have on of those you might try it.
    Leo

Boolit Mold
    I am just getting into reloading with the 310. No room to set up my Hornady LNL progressive loader. Thanks for the info about the #2 adapter.

Boolit Master
    Chart says its a #7, same as 303 Savage, 303 Brit, 44 Special, and 44 Russian. Ebay has them for sale.
    Heres the chart
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/...referencea.pdf
    Last edited by Pressman; 05-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm thinking you want a "J" type shell holder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    I'm thinking you want a "J" type shell holder.
    No, he needs the adapter for the 310 handles, the J type is for the Jr press. The 310 handles that take the screw in dies use an adapter to adjust the size of the hole the shell goes through to get to the die.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Sigep that only showed primers. I have the primer die. I just need the case adapter. I called Lyman and the said to call The 310 Shop. I called and left a message. I also emailed yesterday. I guess I will wait for his reply.

Boolit Buddy
    Wayne I thought he needed a shell holder when he said shell adapter.

Lyman calls it a priming chamber.

Lyman calls the piece you prime with a priming chamber.
    The 310 doesn't use a shell holder. It has a short piece that threads into the handle. Lyman calls this piece a adapter die. It adapts the handles to the different cases.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    If I understood the OP correctly, it’s the adaptor ring that is needed... the part that screws into the handle and guides the case into the die. You can actually get by without using one at all, but it’s kinda sloppy that way. Of course if you have the old steel, caliber-dedicated handles, you don’t need a ring.

Froggie

Boolit Mold
    My handles are aluminum. Lyman responded that they have 2 of the case adapter. Green Frog is correct on what I need. I will call Lyman tomorrow and May just buy both of them. My nephew my get into reloading and may end up needing one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad it's working out for you, Priusron. It would appear we are about to enter a transition time of how we "do" our 310-ing. Now that Lyman seems to be getting out of the whole 310 scene, I personally plan to consolidate my holdings and make sure I can load the calibers I'm likely to want. At one time I had lofty plans of collecting a do-everything set of PCs and adaptor rings as well as a suitable variety of MRs and Seating Dies to bluff my way through to load about anything with a 310 tool or its TruLine Jr brother, but my interests sort of drifted, so now I'll make sure I can load for my revolvers and a few old classic rifles then let the rest of my dreams go unfulfilled. With advancing age comes a certain awareness that I can't "have it all," so I have to choose what prey to pursue. OTOH, I will be happy to share whatever knowledge I have on the subject, then refer you to my e-friends like the Brass Magnet, Wayne the Shrink, and a few others who have been sharing our pursuits of things 310 for quite a while now. Be warned though, this is a very fast progressing disease and will consume lots of time, effort and money if you will let it.

Regards,
    the Green Frog

Boolit Mold
    Yes Green Frog, it is addictive. I started with a complete RCBS Rockchucker 35 years ago I purchase from a fellow enlisted man. A couple years ago I started pouring my own 45 hp bullets. I quickly got I to powder coating. We now live in our RV so I can’t set up my progressive. I learned about the Lyman 310 and it will enable me to continue reloading in my present situation. I believe I can also load my 45 app with my current dies. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. Now to find 9mm dies.

I know this is almost sacrilegious, but Lee makes a hand press that uses regular dies. It will take up a bit more space. I have one and like it.
    I have regular dies for all I own. I have 310's for most of all I own.
    They both work well.
    One of the main differences is the Lee tool can full length size cases. The 310 neck sizes.
    Oh by the way, I dug through some of my range pickup brass and found some 45 ACP cases. Got out my a set of my 310 tools with 7mm Mauser dies. First ones I got to.
    Tried the 45 ACP cases. They don't fit in the #2 adapter. Too tight.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 05-14-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I received my adapter from Lyman. Now to get into storage and get my supplies.

Have fun! We do.
    Leo