Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 115 Grain SWC - 32 S&W Long

Boolit Master

115 Grain SWC - 32 S&W Long

Range test of 115 grain SWC for 32 S&W Long in 4" S&W 631

In March 2019 I was over at my cousin's, who had recently sold his pawnshop, but kept some of the inventory. He knew I reloaded 32 S&W Longs, so he gave me a Lyman 2 cavity mold #311008CV. I thought about firing up my old Plumber’s Forge and casting some; then remembered my cousin also had a Remington GB tub full of bullets already cast from the mold. I figured to try them first before I indulged in production. There was not much information in my numerous loading manuals for the 115 grain SWC in 32 S&W Long, other than the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. The 115 grain SWC normally is associated with the 32-20 round. The Lyman recommended from 2.5 to 3.5 grains of Unique. I tried two loads: 2.5 grains of Unique and 3.0 grains of Unique. Shot out of my 4" S&W 631. The bullets miked out at .313".
    2.5 grains / 115 grain lead swc averaged 666 fps
    3.0 grains / 115 grain lead swc averaged 861 fps

They seem quite usable. The 3 grain was the most accurate. I intend to try a 2.8 grain Unique load which should run about 780 fps. If I ever run out of the boolits in the tub, I reckon I will start casting them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0595.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	241161

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    That looks pretty good that is a little heavier than i normally load but the proof is in the pudding. I am a 32 nut just love them all.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The S&W 631 is a strong revolver and is well suited to your 3 grain Unique loadwith #311008.

It should also do well with that bullet and 2.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup.

If you check cylinder throat diameter you will probably find that your revolver will want .313-.314" bullets.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

That little revolver and it's mate in 22LR are nuttin' but fun! I have managed to scrape together a bunch of once fired and new Starline brass in 32 H&R and I have been shooting the Saeco 325 and the NOE 90 grain wadcutter. 3.1 of Titegroup and 3.8 Unique with the Saeco have been shooting really well. 5.0 of HS6 has been my best performer on paper and maintains an SD of 22 thru 12 shots with PC bullets.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    For brass you might call brassman he doesn't list it on his website but if you give him a call he sometimes has it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The S&W 631 is a strong revolver and is well suited to your 3 grain Unique loadwith #311008.

It should also do well with that bullet and 2.5 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup.

If you check cylinder throat diameter you will probably find that your revolver will want .313-.314" bullets.
    Actually those are both relatively mild loads for that revolver. They are actually appropriate for the old top break 32 S&WLs made for smokeless powder loads. A recent pressure test measured 13,200 psi under a commercial 98 gr cast SWC. 2.5 gr of Bullseye under the same bullet gave a measured 15,000 psi. The same bullet over 3.5 gr Unique gave a measured 15,900 psi and over 4.0 gr Unique gave a measured 19,000 psi. All in R-P 32 S&WL cases with CCI 500 primers. All of those loads are well within the safety of the S&W M631. Not recommending anything, just giving the info.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Thanks Larry!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Larry, thanks for the input. I love the little 631 and I do not want to take any chance of damaging it as there are not many out there. Besides, I have plenty of 357's and 41's when I need the power. The 631 serves not purpose for me other than a small pistol when I walk in the woods and target plinking for my daughter and myself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like the 32 H&R Magnums and 327 Federals to run an RCBS #32-98-SWC or a 118 grain flatnose much like #311008 between 850-1000 FPS. I also have a nickeled Colt New Pocket x 6" that gets the RCBS SWC run at about 725 FPS out of deference to its 115 year old+ status. It is mechanically sound, and 700 FPS is safe for the revolver while being profoundly hazardous to small game and small varmints. This Colt and the O/P's S&W Model 631 are little jewels; my S&W Model 16-4 x 6" and Ruger SP-101 x 4.2" are larger and more robust, but I seldom run them near their respective upper limits. The O/P's text about having larger-caliber war toys on hand parallels my own views as far as power questions are concerned.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I have tested the hand ejector and the Model 631 in the past with 98 grain cast swc's. But since I came up with a tub of 115 grain cast swc's and there was not much information out there, I tested them in the 631. One rationalization, other than having a slew on hand is the 115 grain boolit in the 32 S&W Long could be kind of like the old British 38/200 round, ie., a slow moving 200 grain boolit rather than the 158 grain normal one, but in this case a slow moving 115 grain rather than the normal 98 grain. In any event the following are from my past testing of the standard 98 grain cast swc:

32 S&W Long

Bullet: 98 grain lead semi-wadcutter

S&W 32 Hand Ejector 5th Change
    98 grain lead swc:
    fps
    2.0 grains - Bullseye = 659, 642, 665
    2.1 grains - Bullseye = 694, 681, 689
    2.2 grains - Bullseye = 625, 757, 760
    Fiocchi Wad-cutters = 560, 587, 597, 608
    S&W Model 631 4"

fps
    1.5 grains - Trail Boss = 527, 530, 555, 511, 493,
    2.0 grains - Trail Boss = 694, 687, 645, 705, 673
    * 2.0 grains of Trail Boss comes to bullet base
    fps
    2.0 grains - Bullseye = 559, 641, 672
    2.1 grains - Bullseye = 636, 681, 684
    2.2 grains - Bullseye = 702, 741, 721

Thank you Larry, you rock as always.

Boolit Grand Master
    Two elements come to the fore when discussing the 32 caliber wheelguns and their bullet weights, which I generally group into 2 weight classes--the 100 grainers and the 120 grainers.

1) Which bullet weight (and to some extent, velocity range) were the OEM sights regulated for?

Once that gets nailed down......

2) Which weight and design shoots best in my given example?

Adjustable sights provide some "cheat" and leeway, if your sidearm is so blessed. None of my current 32/20 wheelguns have this advantage, and this is only one of the regrets I have at not landing one of the Buckeye Sports Ruger Blackhawks with the 32 Magnum/32-20 WCF swap cylinders. My 32/20s shoot both more accurately and closer to their sights with the 115-120 grain bullets; the 32 SWLs and 32 H&R Magnums have shown slight bias favoring the 95-100 grain slugs; my one 327 Federal seems happy with either weight accuracy-wise, and POA/POI disparities can be worked through via its adjustable sights. The 327 Federal also has the great advantage of being at least as loud as a 30 Carbine Blackhawk when run with full-potential loadings, for those of us who like to make such a statement at the firing line. I significant portion of my being greatly craves the satisfaction of turning money into noise, and shooting is a lot cheaper than Top Fuel NHRA drag racing.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Good info here. Especially the pressure data. I've loaded 311008 in .32 SWL for years, but not for my pre-heat treat I frame Hand Ejector. Looks like the 3.0 Unique load might be appropriate for it after all.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    But since I came up with a tub of 115 grain cast swc's and there was not much information out there, I tested them in the 631. One rationalization, other than having a slew on hand is the 115 grain boolit in the 32 S&W Long could be kind of like the old British 38/200 round, ie., a slow moving 200 grain boolit rather than the 158 grain normal one, but in this case a slow moving 115 grain rather than the normal 98 grain.
    Here's the calculation for predicted penetration in 10% ballistic gel for that bullet at 850 ft/s (from the "expedient equation" in Schwartz Quantitative Ammunition Selection):

850^0.735*115/7000/(0.312/2)^2/3.14

Copy and paste that calculation into a google search and you should get predicted penetration of about 30". Cut the velocity in half and the prediction is it will stop just short of FBI "over-penetration." All that assumes the bullet doesn't tumble. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 850 ft/s load flip end for end and stop inside of 20". At least, that's what happened with a 100 grain bullet of similar shape from a friend's 32-20 revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm surprised Dale53 hasn't chimed in yet. As I have repeatedly stated, I lust after his Model 631 and he has done some pretty extensive reloading for it. Together we have played with the Ideal 3118/Lyman 311008 as well as several heavier bullets in the 32 H&R case, but I don't know whether he has used the S&W L case with this bullet. I would guess yes, since the H&R cases were so spotty in both quality and availability in the early days. What say ye, Mr 53??

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

FWIW, I'm currently using Accurate 31-105T with fine results, 2.5 grains of Bullseye in the .32 S&W Long, 3 grains in the .32 H&R and 3.4 grains in the .32-20

Attachment 241283Attachment 241284Attachment 241285
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Not the 115 gr bullet but a 90 gr TL SWC. A fellow at the range one time asked how accurate the 32 H&R was out of the Ruger Single Six. He had just put a 50 yard pistol target up at 25 yards so I shot the cylinder full at it aiming center hold........

Attachment 241288
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Well Larry, I guess you answered that question pretty authoritatively, didn't you? Nice shooting there, amigo.

9.3X62AL, I have an even greater tale of woe than yours... I bought one of the Buckeye Combo 32s when they first came out, then in a fit of stupidity sold it less than two years later. The money is long gone, but the pain of loss just lingers on! I did buy one of the RBH 8-shooters in 327 FM when they came out, so I guess my single action needs are taken care of, but I sure wish I had never let that combo gun get away from me.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

I have shot Lee 113 fp with the check removed in the 32 Mag. It grouped fair sized to .313. My SSM Ruger prefers the RCBS 98. I have never tried it in the Improved I frame 32 long. With that light gun 100 gr is as heavy as I go.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie;
    I guess I will chime in here (better late than never, I guess). My use of my 631 has been split between range time and field use for edible small game. Due to the truly bad quality brass put out by Federal in the introduction of the .32 H&R Mag I, early on, tried the .32 S&W Long cases. I had a good friend who was a commercial loader and he had, literally, a barrel of once fired .32 S&W Long cases for a VERY reasonable price.

I had bullet molds for the RCBS 98 gr. SWC as well as full wadcutter mold from Lee. I preferred field load was 2.8 grs. of 231 or HP-38. My 631 works well with bullets sized at .313". That load works very well on both the target range and in the field on edible small game. It is relatively quiet and effective. I, frankly, didn't really miss the .32 H&R cases. Later, when Starline introduced their .32 H&R cases I bought a couple of thousand. Starline is excellent brass.

Although I tried out the heavier bullets, I saw little need for anything heavier than 100 grains. Further, 800-900 fps works splendidly on small game as well as at the range.

FWIW
    Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast