Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: totally flying

Boolit Mold
    Last night I checked out my barrel for rust,and found none,but some lead,not very much mostly specks.Cleaned all the lead out .Thanks for your ideas.It will be a little while until I get to shoot again.I will come back and let you guys know what happened,and hopefully I'll have good news. kevin

sideways 45 bullets at that range only means one thing, its a 50-90

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Mold
    I just checked the barrel it says 45/90 and the cleaning jag for a 45 is tight with a patch.

Boolit Master
    The OP says he’s cast his own bullets so here’s a bit of bullet casting information copied from the Redding/SAECO catalog that might help to increase a cast bullet diameter.

Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them
    The bullet diameters and weights presented in this catalogue are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic, 91.75% lead).

Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on the weight among the most commonly used casting alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain difference in weight.

Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5% tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with such bullets running approximately 1/3% smaller in diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with Taracorp's metal.
    Linotype will produce bullets with the largest diameter and lightest weights.
    This alloy will produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3% lighter than Taracorp.
    Other alloys of tin and antimony, with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets with diameters and weights falling between those cast from wheel weights and linotype.

Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably smaller than wheel weights and in some cases will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing.
    Within the limitations given above, the weight and diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the alloy’s antimony content.
    The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature.

In the information given above SAECO mentioned the alloy’s antimony content being used to vary the bullets diameter. It’s my understanding the adding Tin will cause the alloy to fill out in the mold like antimony. Tin is more expensive and doesn’t ramp up the bullets BHN as fast as adding antimony which may be a good thing if your trying to keep the BHN down and still get good mould fill out. I also know that varying casting temperatures changes bullet weight which is probably the dia. changing.

So........ given that we broach rifle our Pedersoli barrels and obtain straight lands and grooves with match grade tolerances we then add our final high quality feature which is to impart a very small taper on the rifling, from breech to muzzle !
    Now when a bullet is fired in this barrel is is constantly entering slightly smaller dimensions and thus it maintains almost a perfect gas seal....resulting in those highly required "single digit" muzzle velocity variations as well as extremely small velocity spred (ES) in a long string of shots.
    With groove and bore dimensions held to the match grade standards of plus/minus .0002" and then having the little taper to the entire length of the rifling, we end up with barrels which are capable of accuracy equal to or superior to any other barrels made today, and at a price many can afford. (Extract from Pedersoli factory)

A perfect match for the taper (progressive depth rifling) in the Pedersoli barrels. I have 5 Pedersoli Sharps, a Hiwall and an 1886 sporting rifle. All use a boolit which is 0.002 larger than the bore, cast 1:40 and unsized There is no doubt about the accuracy achieved even with the 50/70 firing 500gn cast.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Mold
    greenjoytj, I cast some bullets last night,and thought about what you said about the heat of the lead affecting the bullet size,so I cast some cooler lead and the 405's cast at 458,459 in size.I did use a 20/1 mix this time.I will also be wadding the cartridges as others have stated.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kevinlz View Post
    greenjoytj, I cast some cooler lead and the 405's cast at 458,459 in size.I did use a 20/1 mix this time.I will also be wadding the cartridges as others have stated.
    If the bullet is a hollow base - you might think again about putting a wad under it IF looking for accuracy.
    Chill Wills

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12