Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: .22 caseless ammo

.22 caseless ammo

I know this question is premature, but I'm on a mission to find a tube of .22 caseless ammo I bought at a gun show in the late 60s, or very early 70s. If and when I find it, can I ship it with an "OrmD" label? It was part of my cartridge collection in the day, but due to it's uniqueness, I'd like to get it to someone who could appreciate it, if in fact it is worth appreciating.

I'll keep looking, but 'till then I'm just curious if it can be shipped, since the cartridges do not have a case, they are in their "factory container", and they don't even have a primer. ?? I guess my curiosity is besides whether I find them or not.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I assume you are referring to the Daisy VL ammo. It was sold in 10 round plastic tubes.

I'm not sure if you are looking to buy a tube or have one to sell/give away.

If the former, I think I know a fellow that has some.

As far as shipping, I haven't a clue but suspect it would have to be shipped like regular ammo.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Sorry for the confusion. I have a tube of the ammo, just need to find it. I was hoping, that if for no other need than to get the tube to someone collecting "vintage" ammo on CB, I could mail it. Means little to me, and certainly don't know if it's even worth someone paying postage, if it can even be mailed, if I even find it. Haven't looked much yet... So, I've still got the cart before the horse.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Well it is an odd duck and would certainly be a nice addition to a collection, my collection is no longer on display and now resides in boxes in a dark closet waiting for "someday I'll get a round to it". If you find it I'm sure someone here will be willing to pay something for it but shipping will be a problem, I'm sure you'll hear all sorts of regs. Personally I'd take it to a local gun show and offer it up there.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    Was this a lead bullet with a charge formed and stuck to it. If memory serves me it was fired by compressed air or maybe ?????

Thanks for all of the posts. I guess I'm going to give up on the search, as I just googled the topic, and found this website where they sell these cartridges in boxes of 100 rounds, in the original box and tubes, for the grand some of $12.95. This puts my 1 tube to be worth all of $1.29 cents. Gee, I kind of lost my incentive. I was going to give the thing away for all of someone to pay for shipping if it was worth that much, but, another good plan in toast!

Still, this ammo is quite the curiosity to me. The link has a bit of history about the Daisy rifle that shot this caseless ammo.

https://www.ammogarand.com/daisy-hed...100r22100.html

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    Was this a lead bullet with a charge formed and stuck to it. If memory serves me it was fired by compressed air or maybe ?????
    Yes, compressed air, according to what I just read on the referenced link, and another site, about this ammo and rifle. Pretty cool, really.

Boolit Master
    If anyone is interested I can post pictures of my VL and the ammo.

The rifles were a bit of a novelty. As far as accuracy went, and this is just based on the 2 samples I have had experience with, the chances of hitting the target with the VL were about on a par with being blindfolded, spun in a circle 10-15 times and handed a rock to throw. However, certainly a conversation starter.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    If anyone is interested I can post pictures of my VL and the ammo.

The rifles were a bit of a novelty. As far as accuracy went, and this is just based on the 2 samples I have had experience with, the chances of hitting the target with the VL were about on a par with being blindfolded, spun in a circle 10-15 times and handed a rock to throw. However, certainly a conversation starter.
    Would like to see some photos of your VL.

Sorry to hear they were not accurate. How did they last even their short time on the market if they were that bad?

Boolit Master

From what I saw "way back then" they were indeed about as accurate as described by roysha, or as the old joke goes "you couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside the barn"! However that's not what did them in but rather the BATF classified them as a firearm and Daisy was not licensed to build actual firearms so the FEDs told them to cease production or face the consequences.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    Indeed what oldred said is correct.

If I recall correctly there were only around 18,000 made, mostly the "standard" version like the photo but a few were made with walnut stocks and, I believe, some sort of commemorative medal in the butt stock.

Photo 1 shows rifle, 2- with the "underlever" down cocking the gun, 3- the bottom of the rifle with the lever in the "cocked and load" position, 4- the chamber area where the cartridge was inserted. The others are the 10 round tube with the plug pulled out, a single cartridge, a box of 100 (ten tubes) and a case of 1000.

I still remember the first one I owned. In 1971 I traded a pawn shop in Bemidji MN an OLD outboard kicker, maybe 2 1/2 hp or so, for the rifle and a couple hundred rounds of ammo. The pawn shop definitely got the better end of the deal, as they usually do.

The one I currently own I picked up for nostalgia reasons and the sheer uniqueness of the rifle. It still is a great conversation piece and quite honestly, I don't care if I can hit anything with it or not. I have plenty of accurate 22s so this is owned because I want it.

It is an odd sensation when the rifle is fired, to hear the spring make noise much like any other springer air rifle just before the bang of the cartridge.
    Last edited by roysha; 05-09-2019 at 12:28 PM.

^^^^ Roysha, Thank you for the time and trouble for the post. That is really a neat rifle, lack of accuracy notwithstanding.

Boolit Master
    Curious as to what happened to the photos I posted.

Boolit Grand Master

I would love to have those to add to my collection. If you find them please keep me in mind.

As a rookie collector I occasionally ship or receive ammo. A while back I shipped some and went into a UPS store. The clerk at the counter was in the process of telling me that they can't ship ammo when the manager came out and corrected them.

Recently I tried to ship ammo again. The FedX store said they couldn't do it and sent me to a terminal. The clerk at the terminal said they couldn't ship it.

I went to a UPS store and was told no and sent to a terminal. The manager cited unspecified issues as the problem. The clerk at the terminal said no but told me that a UPS account holder could ship.

The guy I traded with shipped his by FedX and it was delivered to my door! It must be a local thing? Go figure!

I ended up taking it to a friend with a FFL. He printed out a shipping label, stuck an ORD-M sticker on it and my trade partner got it 3 days later! Go figure!

Both the FedX and UPS web sites say they can ship ammo and detail their requirements for packaging.

It was frustrating to say the least!