Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stihl Problem

Boolit Buddy
    I have an older Stihl 021 and was having the same type of problem. Changed the fuel line because, like everyone here says, it seemed to be the most obvious solution to the problem. It did the same thing with the new fuel line.

Crazy as it sounds it turned out to be the spark plug.

Banned

little tip to guys who detest ethanol gas like I do. Most pumps today are the push button to select between different grades. If you switch on non ethanol premium the first qallon or so of fuel your going to get is the fuel left in the line above the selector valve above the tanks that the last customer bought so if he bought junk 87 ethanol **** and your filling your can your getting ethanol. When I buy gas for small engines I take a 5 gallon tank to the gas station and select non ethanol premium and pump the first 5 bucks worth of gas in my truck then start filling my can. Basicaly if your only filling a little chain saw can your not getting ethanol free gas. Local stihl dealer taught me that lesson years ago when I brought him a string trimmer and one of my chain saws that were both hard starting and just didn't run right. You will really notice this if you are like me and have 3 or 4 saws and some of them might sit a year before starting.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had the same problem with a newer Husquvarna. Sure seemed like it was starving for fuel. Blew through the fuel filter and it seemed ok. Put it back, still the same thing. Finally changed the fuel filter and it worked great. It’s a good idea to change the fuel filter once a year if you use the saw a lot.

Boolit Grand Master
    junk it and buy a Huskqvarna
    had issues with Stihl a few years ago and went with Huskqvarna
    never a single issue in the past 15 years
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    little tip to guys who detest ethanol gas like I do. Most pumps today are the push button to select between different grades. If you switch on non ethanol premium the first qallon or so of fuel your going to get is the fuel left in the line above the selector valve above the tanks that the last customer bought so if he bought junk 87 ethanol **** and your filling your can your getting ethanol. When I buy gas for small engines I take a 5 gallon tank to the gas station and select non ethanol premium and pump the first 5 bucks worth of gas in my truck then start filling my can. Basicaly if your only filling a little chain saw can your not getting ethanol free gas. Local stihl dealer taught me that lesson years ago when I brought him a string trimmer and one of my chain saws that were both hard starting and just didn't run right. You will really notice this if you are like me and have 3 or 4 saws and some of them might sit a year before starting.
    My dad used the same "trick" in reverse to keep from putting "low test" in his land yacht.
    This was decades ago and he didn't like selectable pumps from the day they introduced them.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

I checked and a local marina has 100% gas for boats
    Hate that they charge a fair amount more for "Real" gas
    But it will not be in total a huge amount more $$

Only problem is I will have to buy gas before the marinas close up in the late fall

I have several 5 gallon gas cans , so I can buy enough to last the winters wood cutting

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master
    I spend the extra for non-ethanol gas and use a synthetic oil to mix.

Boolit Master
    I am blessed with a local station that has whiskey free gas with its own nozzle. Been using it for my riding lawn mower for the last 3 years. Before that I spent half my time cleaning the carb. and changing out the fuel filter. Worth $.60 a gallon extra for sure!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    I have a older Stihl 290 Farm Boss

LOL It has cut wood for years with no problems

But now it has one

It started the other day and got bad the next day .... today
    Err I guess the problem started several days back as a minor problem
    Of course I wanted to cut up some limbs after church and now can't finish

The saw starts fine and has full power
    But after 30 seconds or so of cutting , the saw looses power and stalls

I thought it was the air filter , but after a good air filter cleaning it still happens

I am dealing with the current headache , so I will take a few hours off

But , any ideas what to check ??

John
    Also mix some fresh gas. ethanol causes the gas to go bad,start with fresh gas. My mower does the same thing,every year!!!
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-06-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Banned
    I always use premium gas and ALWAYS add STA-BIL to EVERY can WHEN I get the gas.

and only use Stihl synthetic ultra 2 engine oil prevents many problems.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sta-bil+f...nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

https://www.amazon.com/STIHL-0781-31...s%2C203&sr=8-1

Banned
    You can thank Uncle Sam for the ethanol in our gas and the Stihl saws without H/L tuning valves—both abominations of the EPA.
    My brother has cut trees for 30 years and hates the newer saws. He prefers Echo these days.

Boolit Master

Check Spark Arrestor, then if that doesn't fix the problem, change the gas tank filter and line.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are near a farm area there are usually gas stations that have a no ethanol pump. I think around here it is near $5/ gal. A local feed store likely knows which stations.

I usually keep one those quart cans of pre-mixed gas (no ethanol) in my chainsaw tool bag just in case.

Banned

we are blessed around here in that most premium pumps are non ethanol 91 octane. Mostly because its a big snowmobile tourist area and those snowmobiles don't do well on whisky and neither do there drivers.

Banned

stihl vs husky? My take on it. Ive owned both. Ill say this. Look at any professional logging operation where people feed there familys with a saw and those will be the only two youll see period. Id say up here its a few more stihls then huskys. But in a different locality that might change. Stihl still is the best selling saw in the world though. I buy stihls anymore. Why? Because my uncle cut for a living and threatened to kick my but when I was in my 2os if I bought anything else. That said I doubt theres a professional logger on this board. Most of us don't need a professional grade saw even if all you do is cut and burn firewood and you wont go wrong buying either brand. Me I burn propane anymore. To wore out to cut firewood so the stove collects dust and my saw use anymore is trimming a tree or cutting up something that fell across the road. Ive got two gas stihls and neither one has been started in over a year. Not since my wife bought me a little battery powered stiihl saw about a year ago. Thing has amazing power for its size. doesn't stink up my jeep when I carry it and ITS NEVER HARD TO START. Want to cut something pull the trigger. let go of the trigger and it isn't idling its off. Its quieter and smoother then any saw and battery life is about what youd get out of a tank of gas in a real saw. Battery charges in 2 hours. I don't know about you but after cutting a whole tank of gas im ready for a break anymore anyway. Power wize ill say this. I had one of the tiny stihl gas saws that's about the same size that I lost in a fire. this battery saw will put it to shame. It doesn't bog on anything that that little gas saw would. Its worth it to me just to never have to pull and cuss while pulling a recoil. Only down side is there not cheap. Probably twice the money a comparable gas saw would cost but you wont pry this thing out of my hand. My old uncle is probably rolling over in his grave though

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    stihl vs husky? My take on it.

>>>SNIP
    The other thing to consider is that NOW-A-DAYS, both manufacturers offer Professional saws, as well as Homeowner grade saws.
    IMHO, with those two brands, you get what you pay for.
    I am a homeowner who cuts wood to heat the house (about 3 cords a year) and I bought a Stihl 360 "PRO" about 20 years ago...It is MORE saw than I needed, but it is still going strong and never needed any major repairs. I use a 40 year old Stihl O24 for trim work and small trees.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

Stihl Problem

The Stihl 026 & 009 set the standard back in the day.
    Sure wish They still made them that tough today.

To keep the lines in good shape you should dump the fuel after each use and then run the saw til it dies. Reduces the amount of time the fuel has to attack the lines.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    You've got a bunch of good advice on places to start. Fuel delivery side is the most likely, always use good fuel great advice, spark plug always possible and an easy try, screen in muffler an easy try and high possibility, probably where I'd start. One other place that can cause those symptoms is the exhaust port clogging up. So if all else fails, take the muffler off and make sure the exhaust port is clear. Crappy gas and bargain oil can make an interesting build-up in the port (I found out).

Boolit Master

I do not saw a whole lot, may 3 to 3.5 cords per year. Most of it is due to trees dying or some timber maintenance at my folks. For the really big stuff and for dropping large diameter trees I use a Stihl MS390 with either a 30 or 36 inch bar and for smaller stuff I have a pair of Husky's, a 445 and a 345 both with 16" bars as the balance very well. When I have quick work to do, the 445 is my goto. If it is smaller work or limbing I go to the 345 as it is really light weight and has plenty of power. I have an old Stihl 011 power head that I have been trying to revive for awhile, amazing little saw for limb work.

I would suggest checking the filters, lines and change the darn plug as they are cheap and will give more fits than you expect. Also, give the cap a squeeze to make sure you contact with the plug is really good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast