Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast loads in my 30-06

Well I got a bit closer than last time but I'm not there yet. I was just testing out the 35.0 gr. load of H-4198 using the 30 XCB bullet powder coated, gas checked and sized to .309" in my Rem. 30-06. I was just trying to shoot the best group I could using the same aim point. All I have to do now is loads up another batch of ammo and head to the public range early one morning and see what this combination will do at 100 and beyond. MV for a 5 shot average was hovering just under 2300 fps.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing,does it get better than that ? 2300 fps is impressive with that accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Nothing wrong with what you are doing,does it get better than that ? 2300 fps is impressive with that accuracy.
    Well I can go up on the powder charge by another 2.5 grs. I'm using 50/50 lead / wheel weights and water quenching after powder coating plus a gas check and let them set for a couple weeks before loading. I might need to harden my alloy up a bit if I try to go faster but I happy where I'm at the moment.

Boolit Buddy
    Impressive accuracy. Like the way everything is laid out. Simple and straightforward. One question though: How far off the lands did you seat the boolits?
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

That "cheap gun" has gained in value hasn't it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Great Post and Shooting too!

Should you want to shoot 200+gr, the 311284 and my pet, a Ohaus 30-190 S, behind 16grs. of 2400, have given me similar success. I'm now 83 and still get around fine, but my trigger finger, is just not what it once was. However, I have taken home a few trophies at the Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot over the years. My rifles, 2, Spfd 03's & 2, Mod 54 Win, all 1 in 10 twist.

Keep having FUN! Mac
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Quote Originally Posted by Slugster View Post
    Impressive accuracy. Like the way everything is laid out. Simple and straightforward. One question though: How far off the lands did you seat the boolits?
    I'll have to look at my notes and get the OAL and get back to you on that. I basically took a case and cut a slit down the side of the case neck and stuck a bullet into the case just past the gas check and slowly chambered the rd. till the bolt close, then extracted it slowly and took a measurement and seated the bullet about .020" deeper. Everything chambered and shot fine with no issues so I'm going to leave it there. I also load a Lee 170 gr. RNFP gas check bullet I just crimp in the provided crimp groove. Group #5 and #7 were shot with two different charge weights of H-4198 with the Lee bullet and I think they shot very good.

Please keep us updated after your trip to the range.

#5/#7 with that bullet will Hunt if you are so inclined. I'm very fond of that bullet in my 30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    #5/#7 with that bullet will Hunt if you are so inclined. I'm very fond of that bullet in my 30-30.

The Lee 170 RNFP is one of the first molds I bought, it's pretty much my go to bullet for my 30-30 and I can use it in any .308" bore rifle I own. It's a real versatile bullet that works in sub sonic, Mid range or high velocity loads. I've even double powder coated it and shot in my Mosin rifles and have gotten very good results.

Shot this test load out of my M91-30 just to see if it would work but I have a dedicated molds for the Mosins rifles now so it just in the if I need it bin of go to loads.

Boolit Master
    Very nice work.

CE Harris did a lot on reduced charge military loads many years ago. His 200yd target recipe was 16gns of 2400 behind a 170-180 gn bullet. Around 1500-1600fps depending on cartridge. He got some of his load data from Mattern who worked on training loads in the 1930's.

He used 2400 and other powders to get slightly heavier bullets up in the 1800fps range for beyond 200yd target work and hunting loads. 18-21 of 2400, 27-30 of 4895 and 22-25 of 4198 were some of those loads.

He did mention that 1700-1800 was a sweet spot for him with the heavier bullets.

And if you want plinking loads:
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12