Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast loads in my 30-06

Cast loads in my 30-06

Recently picked up a Rem. 770 bolt gun in 30-06 and loaded up some test loads for it last week. I was using mixed brass by Win. Rem. and Fed. along with CCI LR primers and I use three different powders Alliant 2400, H-4198 and Unique. The two bullets I used were the Lee 170 gr. FP and the Lee 160 gr. TL RN both powder coated, gas checked and sized to .311". Targets were shot at 50 yds. as that is as far as I can shoot around here in the back yard range without making a day trip to the public range. All load data came from the Lyman Cast Bullet manual #4, below are the group but none were much larger than 1.5" and some under 1". We had some issues with the Chrono not reading probably due to overcast skies on some loads but I will be retesting those loads for data at some point as will as some additional powders I have and maybe even a primer change on a couple loads to see if that improves things. I haven't been behind the trigger since last Nov. after having surgery and weather not cooperating on my days off so I'm a bit rusty.

Target #1
    Low: 1698
    High: 1715
    Average: 1709
    Spread: 16.8
    SD: 6.78

Target #2
    Low: 1731
    High: 1761
    Average: 1747
    Spread: 29.99
    SD: 11.61

Target #3
    Low: 1950
    High: 1981
    Average: 1966
    Spread: 31.30
    SD 11.22

Target #4
    Low: 1971
    High: 2015
    Average: 1989
    Spread: 44.64
    SD: 16.50

Target #5
    No Data but shoots great, will load and shoot again.

Target #6
    No Data

Target #7
    No Data

Target #8
    Low: 2277
    High: 2309
    Average: 2292
    Spread: 31.71
    SD: 15.39

Target #9
    Low: 1635
    High: 1701
    Average: 1650
    Spread 65.70
    SD: 26.57

Target #10
    Low: 1665
    High: 1709
    Average: 1686
    Spread: 44.46
    SD: 17.49
    Last edited by res45; 05-11-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Banned
    Good post, well laid out with both pictures and data.
    What are the twist rate and barrel length of your Rem. 770?
    What alloy did you use?

Subscribed, keep up the good work.
    Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Good post, well laid out with both pictures and data.
    What are the twist rate and barrel length of your Rem. 770?
    What alloy did you use?
    Remington Model 770, 22" barrel, 1:10 Twist. Alloy was wheel weights quenched after powder coating.

Banned
    Thank you,

Those rifles shoot good as you have just demonstrated with your skill. They bring up a poop flurry of criticism when they're mentioned but in my experience the .270 m710 and two m770 .243s that I shot and loaded for worked and shot perfectly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

The 20.0 gr load of 2400 is a winner. I use the same load in several of my 30-06 bolt guns. All are 1/10 twist as well. You're getting good groups with all your loads, good work Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Thank you,
    Your quiet welcome, hopefully in a couple weeks which is about how often I get to shoot I'll have some more data on some different combinations of powder, primers as well as some Chrono data on the loads that I got errors on. Load #5 with the H-4198 / 170 gr. FN has my interest peeked as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Those rifles shoot good as you have just demonstrated with your skill. They bring up a poop flurry of criticism when they're mentioned but in my experience the .270 m710 and two m770 .243s that I shot and loaded for worked and shot perfectly.

Thanks, My dad started me shooting when I was seven years old by the time I was nine I had my own Rem. single shot 22 and was putting food on the table. We were pretty poor and 22 LR ammo was only 35 cents a box but that was a lot of money back then and I made ever shot count like my life depended on it, well my stomach did at least. I can get it to shoot much better after I've worked on some loads and had some time behind the rifle, it been since last November since I have pulled the trigger on anything after having surgery and seem like the weather hasn't been my friend either.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The 20.0 gr load of 2400 is a winner. I use the same load in several of my 30-06 bolt guns. All are 1/10 twist as well. You're getting good groups with all your loads, good work Sir.
    That is what really surprised me the most. I picked three powders and loaded up 5 rds. of each with two different bullets one load half way between Min. and the midway point and the other halfway between the middle and the Max. charge weight. I was kinda expecting things to really open up quiet a bit with some of the higher charge weights but they all stayed pretty tight for the distance I was shooting at. I will make a trip to the public range at some point so I can stretch things out an see what it will do but that will come a couple months down the road.

Boolit Master
    Funny thing is that the much lamented IMR 4759 had a sweet spot at 20.0 grains both in the 30-06 and 7.62x54r. Seems the 2400 might have one there at the same 20.0 grains. Haven't tried cast in my Sako 75 Hunter but with jacketed loads they hover around an inch at 100 yds. Have a sporterized 1903A3 with only iron sights but thinking about swapping out the redfield ramped front sight and getting a Lyman 17xnb that is a direct replacement for the issue front sight. Have a Lyman steel 57 rear sight. Frank

Just wanted to mention that all the above targets were shot with powder charges that were dropped from either my RCBS Little Dandy with fixed charge weight rotors or thrown form my RCBS DUE Measure. Scales were only used to verify the charge weight thrown, after that I just threw ten charges with that powder and moved on to the next load.

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    Just wanted to mention that all the above targets were shot with powder charges that were dropped from either my RCBS Little Dandy with fixed charge weight rotors or thrown form my RCBS DUE Measure. Scales were only used to verify the charge weight thrown, after that I just threw ten charges with that powder and moved on to the next load.
    Scaling every charge is an unnecessary thing for me. I just use the scale to confirm the charge from my Redding measure or whatever scoop/dipper I'm using.

Boolit Master

I've killed a few deer with the Lee 170 over 21 grains of 2400. Are you looking for a target load or hunting load? Is there still a public range in Uwharrie?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I've killed a few deer with the Lee 170 over 21 grains of 2400. Are you looking for a target load or hunting load? Is there still a public range in Uwharrie?
    Yes the range in Uwharrie is still there, it reopened a couple years ago after being rebuilt.

As to type of loads I'm looking for I'm going to work up a load for generally purpose shooting as well as a hunting load. I still have several powders to play with yet so the data gathering is far from done. At some point I will sit down an look everything over and pick the loads I like and load up a batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Scaling every charge is an unnecessary thing for me. I just use the scale to confirm the charge from my Redding measure or whatever scoop/dipper I'm using.

pretty much the same for me the only time I use a scale if for large extruded powders that just want cut well enough to use thrown charges but those are very rare. 95% of everything I shoot goes through the two powder measurers.

Boolit Master

Nice job both with data format an you presented it very well.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Went back out last weekend and shot a few more test loads I had previously shot using H-4198 but this time around I sized the bullets to .309" instead of .311" I had used previously. I had a few clambering issues with some of my previous loads mostly due to case neck thickness / bullet dia. with some different brass so I used the same brass with the .309" bullet and all was well. Below is the two H-4198 loads I had previously shot but this time with the .309" sized bullets.

Banned

and another orange square survives to live another day....

Good shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    and another orange square survives to live another day....

Good shooting!
    Some do an once I settle on the load I'm going to run a batch of I will dial the scope in and goodbye orange square.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast