Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 .44 mags touched off in a .454.....

Boolit Master

2 .44 mags touched off in a .454.....

...and I’m wondering whether they could have weakened the cylinder. 454 Ruger SRH Toklat. Cases split from stem to stern, other than that only effect seemed to be sticky extraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 05-10-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

No. The gun will be fine. The brass attempted to stretch to the dimensions of the cylinder and couldn’t quite make it. Whomever it was needs to be more careful......not that I’ve never shot a 41 in a 44

Interesting and I don't know the answer. You wouldn't think it would hurt the gun because it wouldn't be able to generate much pressure in cylinder or barrel. I've never seen it in a revolver but have in rifles. Saw 270 fired in 3006, case fire formed but split neck, bullet had little velocity and extraction was sticky.

Boolit Master

maybe a little flame cutting, but nothing that actually affects the structural integrity of the revolver. anyone who sticks 44's into a 454 just shouldnt own guns.

Boolit Master

Humm guess I never thought a 44 would fit a 454?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Will not hurt a thing. Cylinder can handle 92,000 PSI. https://www.cartech.com/en/alloy-tec...rospace-alloys

Ruger made a cylinder from Custom 465 stainless, then fired 50 proof rounds from each of six chambers (total 300 rounds) at 92,000 psi. This is about 50% higher stress than that produced under actual firing conditions. The designers repeated this firing cycle numerous times and noted that the cylinder successfully withstood all of the proof firing without a scratch or sign of defect anywhere.

With this evidence, Ruger selected the Carpenter alloy for the chamber of its new six-round .454 Casull. No problems related to cylinder materials have been reported to Ruger from the field since the mighty revolver was introduced a year ago.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 05-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    id imagine it barely made any real pressure being the projectile isn't wide enough to touch both sides. it probably just looks way more dramatic than it is with cases split and carbon stains.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    id imagine it barely made any real pressure being the projectile isn't wide enough to touch both sides. it probably just looks way more dramatic than it is with cases split and carbon stains.
    Yup , be a surprise if there was not unburnt powder everywhere.

Boolit Grand Master
    Perhaps my ignorance, but I thought a 454 could shoot .45 Colt and was never intended to handle the .44 mag. Having no experience in this, I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Boolit Master

I did it once in my 454 Encore I was shooting my Contender 44 magnum and had both ammo on the bench at the same time it was like a pop gun note to self one ammo on bench at a time
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Perhaps my ignorance, but I thought a 454 could shoot .45 Colt and was never intended to handle the .44 mag. Having no experience in this, I'll be interested to hear what others say.
    It is not intended to shoot .44 mag. The reason a .45c can be shot in a .454 is because the diameter of the bullet is the same. The diameter of a .44 mag is smaller.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    D
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    That is an oops

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    D
    That is an oops
    More like a Oh ****
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

At night, it would have had a really cool muzzle flash.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I will put it out of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’ve never fired a .44 Special cartridge in a .45 Colt SAA. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are headstamps on cartridge cases for good reasons. Knocking on wood here--I don't believe I have yet pulled this stunt while shooting. I take pains to keep only ONE CALIBER of ammo on the shooting point at a time, perhaps this accounts for my track record to date. When I do have two calibers on hand (e.g., while hunting with rifle and sidearm) the calibers are either VERY different in appearance and dimensions, or are identical. 30-06 and 22 LR handgun, or 44 Magnum levergun and wheelgun. I do try to keep things idiot-proof, because no one is infallible--least of all ME.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Reminded me of the other rule of only one kind of powder on the bench at one time. I have had to dump the dribbler a few times because I didn't remember what powder was left in it.

Boolit Master
    Headstamps 9.3X62AL? Those headstamps are printed in awfully tiny hard to read font, especially out in the bright sunlight.

I now use nickel brass in the .44 Special and yellow brass in the .45 Colt when I’m at a match shooting both calibers.

Loading a .45 Colt’s cartridge into a Winchester ‘73 rifle is a goof we’ve all seen. That mistake is impossible to hide, the rifle jams and the shooter has to stop go to the unloading table and take the side plates off his rifle to clear the jam. It’s said Jeff Milton did this one time during a gunfight with Indians.

Boolit Master

I thought I could never, ever make a mistake like that, until the day I fired a magazine full of .380 acp through a 9mm Makarov.

No harm done, but I sure wondered where my accuracy went!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast