RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love Salad!!

Boolit Master

I love Salad!!

I'm home alone tonight, with my old dog, Joey, and 2 granddogs, Dandy and Daisy. Grandsons, daughter and wife are up at the Lakes at a fishing tournament. What to cook for supper? Got plenty to eat--hamburger patties and chili, plus tamales if I want them. Got a craving for shrimp. Thought on it and decided on a shrimp salad. Went to the store (Kroger) for Iceberg lettuce and a cucumber. Went back to the frozen meat section and looked around for some Wild Caught shrimp. GWPercle's post on Super Easy Garlic Shrimp and Ricotta on Angel Hair. Cooked some raw green beans with slice onion and chopped fresh garlic in a hot cast iron skillet, then cooked shrimp and a lot more garlic in the same skillet. Made a bed of lettuce, added tomatoes and cucumber. Put shrimp/garlic on top. A meal fit for a King, all I can say. I know a lot of folks don't like veggies and salads. Ok. I love them. Taco Salad, Black Bean Salad, fresh Broccoli/Tomato salad with cheese, Chef Salad, Cobb Salad, basically, you name it, I'm ready for it. I have a picture, but this program won't cooperate and let me post it. I dunno.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

I love steak and potatoes but I have to eat a few salads to keep the wife and my doctor happy! I do like bacon on my salads though, lots of it.
    Charter Member #148

I'm with ya gbrown…. I eat salad cause I like it.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I don't particularly care for salads, but I do like my wife's 7 layer salad.

Boolit Master
    My favorite salad has a ribeye on top for dressing.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you ever tried a Shrimp Remoulade Salad ?

It involves shreded iceberg lettuce , boiled shrimp , chopped hard boiled eggs , tomato wedges and a remoulade sauce / dressing .
    I can post my recipe which is published in the Louisiana Seafood Bible , on page 117 of the shrimp volume , if you would like to try it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

I eat salads lot(on coumadin and need a steady vit K intake...), use romaine, more flavor than iceberg! Summer I will pile chopped ham, had boiled egg, cuke, green pepper, olives, scallion or chives on a pile of lettuce and call it a meal!

Boolit Master

A GOOD salad is a thing of joy, my favorite is Wilted Lettuce.

https://www.cookingwithcarlee.com/20...arm-bacon.html

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I to like a good salad my biggest problem is the steak and taters in between the salads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    A GOOD salad is a thing of joy, my favorite is Wilted Lettuce.

https://www.cookingwithcarlee.com/20...arm-bacon.html

Mike
    When I was a child, we would visit my paternal grandmother in Blanco, TX. She lived about 2 blocks from the Blanco State Park and the river. On Sunday afternoon, after church and Sunday dinner (usually chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes and her home canned veggies), Dad and one or 2 of his brothers and all us kids would go over to the river and walk upstream. Once you got up above the dams in the park, the river would be shallow in most parts. Springs (especially in the Spring) would flow into the river. You didn't need to carry any bottled water along, those were clear, pure and sweet. Filtered thru the limestone rocks. Up in those springs watercress grew. We would harvest an armful and take it back to grandma's. For supper that night, she would fry some bacon up really crisp, crumble it up and add the watercress. Wilted it down and added some vinegar and sugar. That was Sunday supper, and it was filling, even for the kids and teenagers. Man, what memories!
    Last edited by gbrown; 05-05-2019 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Have you ever tried a Shrimp Remoulade Salad ?

It involves shreded iceberg lettuce , boiled shrimp , chopped hard boiled eggs , tomato wedges and a remoulade sauce / dressing .
    I can post my recipe which is published in the Louisiana Seafood Bible , on page 117 of the shrimp volume , if you would like to try it.
    Gary
    Nothing I can think of better, one of the old Seafood Restaurants around here used to serve shrimp remoulade which was a killer. I loved that stuff, and ordered it every time I took a date there. (back in my late teens) Lost the cook or something, they changed the recipe and it never tasted the same. Love to find one to match it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I eat salads lot(on coumadin and need a steady vit K intake...), use romaine, more flavor than iceberg! Summer I will pile chopped ham, had boiled egg, cuke, green pepper, olives, scallion or chives on a pile of lettuce and call it a meal!
    About once a month around here, my wife and I will decide to have chef's salad for supper. We keep boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick breakfast all the time. I give my yolks to my dog. He doesn't have a cardiologist, LOL. We cut up everything you list plus shredded cheese and maybe some chopped yellow or zucchini squash and put it in separate containers/plates. Put it out on the bar and everyone who shows up can create their own. Always a big hit.
    Oh, yeah, forgot to add, just for some different tastes, you can add some kale, or maybe spinach, if available at a reasonable price for greens. Kale is what I prefer.
    Last edited by gbrown; 05-05-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Additional info

I love salad too!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    I love a good ceasar salad with homemade dressing (complete with coddled eggs and anchovies). Some of the bottles ceasar dressings come close, but not quite.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I love salad too!

Yeah, I'm with you. Love salad, but love bacon, too. I can relate to this post.

Banned

only salads I eat are taco salad and tuna salad. Other then taco salad Lettuce is to put on top of a BLT or hamburger and even in that use its optional. salads were invented so people eating at a restaurant don't complain they came away from there high dollar supper still hungry. Kind of like Italian restaurants who but out big bowls of garlic bread before your meal comes. No im all about gbrowns salad!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I love salad too!

Yes that is a salad to love!!!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Nothing I can think of better, one of the old Seafood Restaurants around here used to serve shrimp remoulade which was a killer. I loved that stuff, and ordered it every time I took a date there. (back in my late teens) Lost the cook or something, they changed the recipe and it never tasted the same. Love to find one to match it.
    Shrimp Remoulade Salad Dressing

My dressing is not based on brown mustard or contain horseradish...I don't like either one , but if you do ... add to taste.
    There are two remoulade schools , brown mustard based and pink mayo/ketchup based.
    Mine is a pink sauce, sort of a jacked up thousand islands ...hope it is like the one you remember.
    This makes a medium sized batch enough for 6 lbs. of shrimp/ 12 salads . I usually mix a bigger batch and store in the ref'g.
    My secrete ingredient is Durkee Famous Sauce...the very first prepared and packaged salad dressing in the US in 1857 . First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln served it to President Lincoln in the White House !
    It's what makes this recipe so good....

1 cup mayonnaise
    5 Tbsp. (heaping) Durkee Famous Sauce
    2 Tbsp. good olive oil
    3 Tbsp. yellow mustard (you can substitute brown, creole or Dijon mustard )
    3/4 cup Ketchup
    1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
    1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbsp Crystal Hot Sauce (substitute your favorite)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. sweet paprika
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    4 Tab. finely minced green onion
    4 Tab. finely minced parsley (optional if not on hand)
    1 Tab. pickle relish...dill or sweet , or some of both .

Measure everything into a bowl and whisk it up. Taste and adjust ingredients...you get to make it like you like it . Let chill .

This is a good sauce to have at a shrimp boil..peel, dip and eat the shrimp.
    For the shrimp salad , serve the boiled peeled shrimp on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce , garnish with tomato wedges, cucumber slices, sliced or chopped hard boiled eggs and dress with the Remoulade Sauce.... This is a hearty meal and I really enjoy it .

If not familiar with Durkee's just do a search ...most stores carry it , look in the condiment section ..mayo , mustard and ketchup aisle . It's worth looking for .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-06-2019 at 08:06 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing! Gotta try this today.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast