Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about BP in 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Hard fouling like that in the throat is a pretty good sign of not enough pressure. Up the charge to 70 grains and that problem will likely not be so bad.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Man
    +1 on Spencer Wolf's 45-70 book. It's got a plethora of information on the original black powder loadings. I've had great luck with a modified Trapdoor Carbine loading using FFFg Goex. If you're looking for a high volume shooting load, I recommend using a lube cookie in the cartridge to help keep the fouling soft and manageable.

Normally what I use on my Trapdoor for reduced loads is Spencer's recipe. The only difference is I put a piece of wax paper over the powder and use the eraser end of a pencil to push it down on top of the powder. I then put a .25" lube cookie into the case, and then a .060 card wad on top. Again I use the pencil to push the whole kit and caboodle down onto the wax paper wad. Then I seat a lee 405-HB boolit on top. The only issue is this recipe may not feed reliably into a lever gun as the COAL is significantly shorter than the standard 45-70 round, as to ensure proper compression.

I've had good luck in using wax paper to separate my powder column from my filler to prevent migration in light loads. That might be something that you might want to try. Either way I recommend using a good amount of lube to keep your fouling soft as the use of the filler may increase the level of fouling in your barrel.
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Banned

spence and pat's trap door book is required reading for owners of the old warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Don't know Joe, but the Army found that they had to crimp the 405 bullet to get complete powder burn - the 520 bullet has enough inertia to accomplish this by itself but the 405 doesn't. He's using the 405 and doesn't mention crimp.
    I put just a slight crimp on the brass so as to keep the bullet in position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Don't know Joe, but the Army found that they had to crimp the 405 bullet to get complete powder burn - the 520 bullet has enough inertia to accomplish this by itself but the 405 doesn't. He's using the 405 and doesn't mention crimp.
    hmmm - I'm using FFFg under mine and a little crimp - have not encountered this problem (difficult chambering after a few shots) in any of my 45's - have had a tiny bit of soot down the side of the case using un annealed starline brass -

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jbutts6785 View Post
    Not in the chamber itself, but just ahead of the chamber at the origin of the rifling. It isn't so bad with the 405 grain bullet and its shorter nose, but has been a problem for me with the 500 Govt style grain round nose. Brand of brass doesn't seem to matter much. I have used Starline, WW, Remington, and Federal, all with decent results.
    that ole roundnose is a bore rider in most rifles - not much room for soot I guess ?

Boolit Grand Master

I have found when you get to the "sweet" spot on compression for the powder load that the burn becomes more efficient and fouling goes down and becomes easier to manage. Slowly upping the charge will find this point. along with the most accurate load

So I finally got the old lady “My 1884 Springfield Trapdoor, not my wife.” And put 5 rounds down range. I put the reduced loads to the side and loaded up 5 rounds with 70grains of Goex 2FF topped with a 405 grain Missouri Bullet #1 Buffalo. Man it felt good to finally fire some BP through this old gal. Now to load up more and work on hitting at 100 yards plus. I plan on ordering some 405 grain soft cast hollow base from Buffalo arms and give those a try also. I’ll also be working with some different powders as well to see which loading works best for me. Thanks for all the help. I know I’ve been away awhile. After I posted last, work was going very busy along with the work travels and then this pandemic hit and I worked from my home office in my house, so I stayed very busy there as well this whole time, so I’m just getting able to do a little gun stuff again and it feels so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12