Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mold cooling plate, retired my fan and wet rags!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I wonder how well a nice big lead ingot would work.
    I was going to suggest the same. Pour 1/2"-1" of lead into an old baking pan as a mold.

Boolit Master
    if you were gonna make a lead heat sink you would just have to keep re melting the surface with propane torch as it solidifies so it don't suck down or get rough crystal surface. that's what I do to my pot ingots so I can write on them after it makes them nice and flat

Only problem with lead might be that we would eventually cannibalize it for other purposes!

Boolit Master
    So. gunarea, to make sure I understand, you're saying a solid plate of metal, even one with good thermal conductivity, will take the heat out of the mold, but may not dissipate that heat very well itself, and will therefore start heating up and will pull heat out of the mold more slowly with each subsequent attempt? That means cooling the mold the same amount takes longer and longer, and disrupts the casting cadence? A designed heat sink (+\- a fan) is better because it's made to radiate heat out through the fins as quickly as it takes it in from the object to be cooled?

BTW, I found out the wet rag technique is hard on aluminum molds too, or at least the steel hardware on them; heat, drying and surface oiling did not prevent a nasty rust problem from developing from the steam and water, especially inside the threaded parts.
    Last edited by kevin c; 05-06-2019 at 02:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use 2 molds if they're getting to hot I add another mold so I don't have to slow down and I get more boolits cast .

Hey kevin c

You are correct. Continued heating of the plate heat sink will eventually result in raised temperature. Just as cooling with water, the water will increase in temperature and give a different cooling coefficient. Surface area is key for heat dissipation. The air cooled heat sink will dissipate heat quickly enough for the temperature of the heat sink to be at a consistent receiving temperature. Without the spaced fins, it is a plate heat sink. Heat sink cooling fins come in different lengths for different applications and desired heat levels. They are called "cooling fins" and the lengths are based upon surface area desired. A "finned" heat sink is designed specifically to remove heat from a source and then shed the heat efficiently in the air flow.

Attachment 241175 Attachment 241176

My particular set up has a digital quick change thermometer attached directly to the middle of finned section. With a Lyman four cavity 38 caliber mould, the sink will rise to 278* before moving the mould off to empty it. By the time I fill the four cavities and return the mould to the sink, the temperature of the sink is at 72* again to receive the hot mould.

I understand the vast majority of shooter and casters do not need, nor are interested in, hyper accurate cast projectiles. This thread invasion is primarily for those who wish to participate at high level competition. Even above average skill shooters will not notice significant advantages. My shooting coach told me, "you ain't that good, so everything else better be perfect". 600 X 47x does not happen with "good enough" ammunition! Take what you want from the information offered, I'll see you at the match.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    No need to keep cooling the mold down if one uses a bimetal thermometer - digital thermometer or a PID.
    Objective is to bring the melt & mold temperatures up so a 5 second pour frosts the sprue puddle in 5 -10 seconds, depending on bullet weight ... and hold those temperatures constant within 5 degrees
    Will still take time if you cast with multi-cav steel mold with large block like RCBS...

Boolit Mold
    I have been using a old 12" Steel Challenge (Bennox) plate to do this for a while now.
    I think that for an extended casting session, one would need more than one plate or one per mould.

Boolit Master

For several years I've been using a 6"x12" piece of 1 1/4" aluminum tool plate for a heatsink. By the time it becomes noticeably 'warm' my carpal tunnel has begun to kick in and I know it's time to take a break, anyway.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

In Remembrance

Back when I was still casting I was doing it to feed my hobby, shooting. I went the route of trying for some sort of a heat sink to draw off excess mold heat, but was always looking for a better way. I finally hit on a truth that should have been evident from the start, slow down my molding cadence and actually enjoy the process of casting.Robert

Boolit Man
    I use a 3/4" thick piece of 6061 aluminum as a heat sink, works great

CPU heat sink is a great idea!

I kinda do the same thing. I setup my casting equipment on the cast iron table top of my table saw. I set the molds on the cast iron table top between castings.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I like the idea of K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid.
    If you go to a welding shop you can pick up a steel plate from their scrap pile for peanuts. 6 x 10 x 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch whatever is available. Plop it down on your bench and it will not move accidentally because of a handle sticking out or wires getting snagged.
    Now gunarea has a little different need than most going for the most consistent boolit for competition. I don't fall in that category of shooter/caster, but, as someone said, your millage may vary.

I have a 5"x18"x1/2" steel plate mortised into my workbench, it is drilled and tapped for every kind of reloading equipment I have used over the last 30 years. When casting, the reloading press/lubrisizer/primer/ comes off the bench and the casting pot goes up on the bench to the left of the plate under the powered fume hood.

Fill mold, swing to the right, set mold flat on steel plate for a couple of seconds, open sprue plate and dump the boolits on a cookie pan with a cardboard liner in the bottom, cookie pan on a slight angle so the boolits run down hill to the end of the pan. Do it again.

That 2-3 seconds is enough to keep the mold from overheating on all but the largest molds. Those get 3-4 seconds. I find it faster and easier than trying to use two molds and the back gives out before the plate gets too hot to be an efficient heat sink.
    Last edited by 15meter; 05-27-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been using the same idea for some time. I run two molds. One on the left I set on my drill press table (steel), and a large drill press vise with a nice flat service on my right. Both make nice heat sinks. Plus a fan to one side to keep air moving.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a heat sink from a motor drive controller. It’s aluminum and 6 x 12 with 4 inch fins. Made to cool the SCRs in the drive controller. Find a electech and offer to buy him a beer or two.
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Master

Piece of aluminum metal plate withh work better than steel. Dissipates heat faster. We tried fastening aluminum heat sinks off electronics to mould bottoms on large capacity .457 moulds to eliminate frosting and rounded corners. Worked great but increased the mould overall size to where it was hard to cast with./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe a block of aluminum 1"x 4" x 4"2 1/4" holes drilled thru it 1" in from each edge and a hole connecting them on 1 end plugged on ends leaving the path open. An aquarium pump circulating water from a 5 gallon bucket. This would keep the plate a constant temp. With a end mill a simple scroll could be cut and a plate bolted down for even more even cooling. Ice water in the bucket might even be an option.

The aquarium pump would provide a flow of water to carry the heat to the bucket dissipating it. Keeping the block cool for longer periods of time

Boolit Master
    I see that I was on this thread when it started 4 years ago.

Actually I find I have the opposite problem nowadays, casting with aluminum 8 cavity gang molds: they cool too easily so that I have to push the cadence or pause to put them on a hot plate. I’ve started using two molds in a session, one warming while the other is casting, switching off as needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12