Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingPBcastco
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone ever made a mold with drill bits?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegcaissy View Post
    Here's what hapenned last friday:

After making many mistakes on a prototype (first pic) here's my first almost completed mold blank (second and third pic). Shrinking tests were succesful with the prototype, info in the stickies here are really good. Bullet filling was not that good, i need to cut ventlines.

First step was to square a aluminium piece then the cut for the handle was made. Pins were made on a lathe, holes drilled then the pins were inserted. The two parts were then milled together to get a squared mold block. Handle holes were drilled and tapped. I use the old RCBS design with a pin and a setscrew for the handles. Next steps will be to drill the sprue plate bolt and setscrew, drill the sprueplate, make ventlines in the blocks and then cut the cavity.

Attachment 256846

Attachment 256847

Attachment 256848

All the job was done on a lathe and a milling machine. The tests made with a press drill were not that successful. I still need to cut the cavity. The remaining question is not how but what bullet to make a cutter for? 150gr plainbased for 6.5x55? 240gr plainbased for 303 and other 31cal? 120gr SWC for 9mm? Here's a pic of my prototype bullets: 180gr plainbased, 0.303'' nose with 0.313'' bands.

Attachment 256849
    The 9 mm would be the easiest. Fatter shallower bullets are quite a bit easier,

Boolit Master
    Time and effort trying to make something you want to make isn't time wasted; the challenge itself is fun and, if you succeed it's a blast! Including making your own bullet mold (ditto reloading ammo). Go for it!

I'm mot going to stop this project at all. I'm still unable to choose what kind of boolit to make the cutter for...
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a lathe for making simple things in case I need something like a pin or a fitting and avoid a trip into town 25 miles away. Mostly a SHTF investment that comes in handy. I might have the skill to make a simple mold...but maybe not.

Enjoy these threads even though it is unlikely I will ever need to make a mold. Admire the talent.
    Don Verna

Here's my plan for the cutter: i want a Fat 31 cal for my oversized PU mosin sniper rifle. The dimensions are for the mold, not the bullet. The extra 0.002'' is for bullet shrinking while cooling. I want 0.304'' nose with 0.318'' bands with only one grease groove. The drawing is not scaled, just to give an idea, the measurements are what i plan to do. I'm not sure about the ratio nose/bands, i want something around 175gr. The grease groove will be in the middle of the bands.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fat 31 bore rider.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	257004
    We really need a Ar-15 subforum!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123