RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Best steel powder for progressive press

Boolit Man

Best steel powder for progressive press

Hi im looking for a powder that meters well in my mec 650. Plan on loading steel shot-shells in the future for goose. I will be weighing out my shot with a shot-dipper "cci primer tray". If i can omit weighting out the powder to save time i want to. I want to use the press for the powder drop and crimping.... hope you guys can help me thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

The only powder that comes close to factory ammo is STEEL powder, which does not meter well in anything. If you are ok with lighter loads, say 1 ounce 2 3/4", or 1 1/8 oz 3", then I can help.

Boolit Man
    Yes im not looking for fast steel loads my opinion speed doesnt kill pattern does. Fire away im loading 3 inch shells. Just something that performs well.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry this took so long to respond.

My usual disclaimer is it is not worth loading steel shot. I tried for too many years to best the factory ammo, and the factory stuff performs too well, and is too cheap anymore. Bismuth is a better way to go if you can stomach the initial shock of the shot cost. It beats the heck out of steel shot, and is safe in even the oldest guns.

That spiel out of the way, my choice was bluedot powder for steel shot. It doesn't meter like a fine ball powder, but is twice as good as STEEL powder, and perfectly fine for the job. I tried a number of 3" loads, but only two I ever liked.

The first is straight from the RSI steel shot handbook, load #61. This load is hot. Nothing impressive to what is available now, but it does pattern well.

Federal 3" PB (plastic base) hull
    Win 209
    39.5 gr Bluedot
    SAM 1 3" wad + 1/4" 20ga felt wad (probably need more felt spacers)
    1 1/8 oz steel shot

1525 fps
    11,900 psi

You may add or remove fillers as needed, just make sure that they are under the shot, not over. It's ok to have 2 layers of shot over the top of the wad, as it will setback during firing. Recovered felt wads turn into super thin coins.The next load is a personal creation, not in a load manual. It was pressure tested at 80 degrees F by Tom Armbrust. It is over SAMMI 3" 12 gauge specs, use at your own risk. This load is best used in modern guns with 3 1/2" chambers, or capable of the pressure. SAMMI max average pressure spec for 3 1/2" 12 gauge is 14,000 PSI.

Federal 3" plastic base hull
    Federal 209A primer
    36 gr Bluedot
    SAM 1 3" wad + 1/4" 20ga felt + 1/8" 20ga felt, both felt wads below shot
    1 1/4 oz #3 steel shot (add or remove spacers for different shot sizes)

Average Velocity- 1335 FPS, 4' from muzzle (EV 19 FPS)
    Average Pressure- 12,460 PSI (EV 800 PSI)
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 05-07-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

As for measuring shot, the best way depends on the size. T shot is best counted using a tray as you mention, but is not a good choice in 12 gauge. A lot of guys like BBB, and it counts ok if you find the right tray. For BB and smaller, it's best measured in a scoop. I like the Lee adjustable shot dipper. With a little practice you can dump on a scale very close to what you want, and add a pellet or two to get it perfect. The scoop is a lot faster than the tray, but doesn't work well with T shot.