MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of it. Or into it?

Boolit Master

Talk me out of it. Or into it?

Magnum Research BFR, .45/70. Do I need you guys to talk me out of it? I have wanted one for quite a few years now, and finally have started to think it could be a possibility this year. I was talking over finances with Miss K last night and mentioned that I was interested in getting a Ruger Wrangler around Christmas time when the dust settles around them and mentioned the price. She replied something along the lines of "you're always buying cheap guns and i know there is one you really want that's not cheap, why don't you get it?. Long story short-ish, she spends several hundred $$ a month on horse board down here away from the ranch and said if I just saved a fraction of that till then I'd have plenty. Hmmm... the woman has a way of making me think about things. So is it totally silly? I have very little interest in a .454 rather than the BFR, but I dont currently own or cast for a .45/70 so it'd be a whole new setup to get into (not that that has ever bothered any of us here). What do you guys think? Or is there a more "optimum" caliber for the platform, like the .30/30 or .444? Mostly would use on whitetails and antelope, and to pull out at the indoor range if I ever get stuck in the lane next to the mental giant with the 10" .308 AR-10 pistol again like I did last month. I have done a search here for old posts about them here and the general consensus is positive. How about barrel length? Any reason to go with the 10" over the 7.5"?
    You guys are like the gun nut uncles I never had, kindly give me some feedback?
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Two things:

1. That woman is a keeper.
    2. The 45-70 is easy to load, even with the most basic hand tools and despite its "softball" trajectory, will knock most game on their fannies. They don't die from the tremendous impact........they die from pneumonia due to all the air rushing through that big hole. If nothing else, you'll impress the **** out of everyone when you haul out those big, shiny brass cartridges!

Seriously, adopting a new caliber these days is pretty easy and since that round has been around since Moses was a pup, components and tools are easy to find.

Don't ask me to talk you out of it! I have a 7 1/2" BFR in 475 Linebaugh and is by far my favorite deer gun. It's scoped with a 2 X 6 Bushnell Elite and shoots great. I wouldn't mind having a 500 JRH, but it's really too similar to what I already have.

Boolit Grand Master

If it’s what flips your switch, go for it. I love my 480 Ruger. I have no need for anything bigger or more potent (on paper).

If you need someone to talk you out of it ,then it means you will get it ,So just get it then.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Get it.

Boolit Master

I would love to have one but I would go for a 44 magnum I would just see me spending a lot more time on the range with it a 45/70
    would just cost to much for me to feed but if it trips your trigger go for it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I’d lean towards the BFR in .444, only because I have way more .44 molds than I have .458 molds.

I lust after a BFR as well.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Of course you need at least one .45-70.

Nobody in their right mind could argue otherwise.

And of course you need to get something nice for the Mrs. too.
    Perhaps a electric start lawn mower, or a new battery charger.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-03-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

You already know what WE are going to say!��. Go ahead and get it!!!

Your post is like an alcoholic going into a bar and asking for help with his drinking problem! You know you want it badly and you have already justified the purchase, what are you waiting for? Quit torturing yourself and buy it. LOL
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    The BFR's are really nicely made, I quite want one myself.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the enabling guys haha! Most of my apprehension comes from never having held one, and at that amount of scratch is hard to place an order on when I haven't gotten to assure the quality. But I trust you guys! My big worry was the "cartoonish" idea of a .45/70 revolver and wants to make sure that its built for more than impressing friends. I already have a Super Blackhawk that I use for whitetails so it wouldn't fill any real purpose that I dont have a gun for... but at only a little more money than a SBH Hunter (which would be my second choice) I figured go with what makes me happier right? And .45/70 is a no brainer to load for, even in my currently limited ability to cast due to apartment living.
    The Mrs. is a keeper, if I could have mailed an invite to every one of you for the wedding I would have. I make the hay for her horses, get her colts started, bought her a new saddle at Christmas after she cracked the tree on her old one, we're getting our mares bred for the first time now, so she gets what makes her happy too. We have been blessed beyond our dreams living in Bozeman now, with "town" jobs and have things we never thought we'd get growing up on the ranch. Which is why I'm having a hard time with this purchase!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Super Moderator

I'd say trust your gut. If you're truly having a hard time with the purchase, I'd think on it some more. I had a Contender barrel chambered in 45-70, and it went down the road pretty quick. I know it's not a BFR, but shooting that thing was like hitting an oak tree with a cracked baseball bat. It stung my hands at every shot, and my friends weren't impressed by shooting it either. Yeah, you can down load it, but why bother. Don't rush into it... Just my $.02, for what that's worth.

Boolit Master
    If you're asking about it you're going to get it...... I believe it's a bit much for me, I wish I had my .480 back. But I'm happy with my .44 now. And my 9mm's.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Go for it but think long and hard about caliber choices.

Of course most can be loaded down to tame them, yes even the .444marlin.

Whatever floats your boat. Ohh and you got a keeper, treasure her.

Go for it. 45-70 will kill anything in North America. Plus they are fun to shoot, easy to reload. Lot of pluses.

Moderator Emeritus

I've learned that if I really want something to get it. You will just keep beating yourself for not getting one and as long as the price doesn't totaly mess things up then go for it. As we keep getting older it gets harder to do somethings, so do it now. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    My big worry was the "cartoonish" idea of a .45/70 revolver
    This is my feeling about said gun. Might as well get an Encore or Contender for the size of it. But, a lot of folks have them and love them so let you heart be your guide, ha. I like my revolvers to be handy and carry on a belt so something like a 500 JRH of 475L would fit my fancy better.

Boolit Master
    All my rational excuses for buying a gun have been used up for years.
    So now when someone asks “what in the Sam Hill is this for” you say , I don’t know I just like it.

Boolit Master
    Magnum Research has a .500 Single Action. I’m just throwing a monkey wrench in your thinking. Magnum Research is a top notch firearms manufacturer, the .45-70 is a fantastic cartridge, I shoot it all the time (but in a Sharps rifle). I’d buy a Magnum Research any day, .44 mag, .500 or .45-70. I’d love to experience cocking a Single Action and have the cylinder rotate 1/5 a turn instead of just 1/6 a turn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast