Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the sprue?

What to do with the sprue?

I think that would have made a good title for the doctor Seuss book on muzzleloading.

Anyway, I cast a bunch of round balls and maxi balls today. I have been shooting swaged balls, which are perfectly spherical. My cast has sprue marks. Point them toward the muzzle when loading? Should I expect less accuracy?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned
    load the sprue mark straight up. They will shoot just as well as the fancy store bought balls.

Banned
    I put freshly cast round balls and shot in a small rock type tumbler with a little graphite for a few hours. this rounds off the sprue and coats the balls.

I am planning to pan lube the conicals with a 50:50 mix of beeswax and Crisco. Any obvious problems with that?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I am planning to pan lube the conicals with a 50:50 mix of beeswax and Crisco. Any obvious problems with that?
    Many good lube recipes listed on these pages,I'm not a fan of Crisco unless you get the salt free type.remember to lube your patches
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    The lack of a real sprue is a reason I like Lee molds. But otherwise I’ve loaded them up as suggested by others except in my revolvers where I turn it sideways and shear it off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    The lack of a real sprue is a reason I like Lee molds. But otherwise I’ve loaded them up as suggested by others except in my revolvers where I turn it sideways and shear it off.
    ME TOO!!!!!
    then I put those Lee balls in a canvas bag with a little graphite powder and tumble em by hand for a couple minutes -- cant find the sprue mark after that so just load em like swaged ball .
    ps those swaged balls are not always perfectly round either

Banned

Boolit Master
    I have shot around 40,000 round balls in the past 18 years and the majority of them have been with sprues, loaded up, like Frontier Muzzleloading shows in his pic. I had a buddy who shot with me and he loaded them on the bottom, shot just as good, cant get them on the sides or you will have problems. Like some mentioned, I at one time tumbled them in a vibrating case tumbler, but one day I sat down and shot from a bench, and the ones with the sprue shot just as well as those without. Never wasted my time after that. Put them on the top or bottom, and let her rip, you will be good to go. I medaled 31 times in NMLRA events, and all were with RB's with the sprue loaded up!

Boolit Master
    i have a shiloh 4 cavity round ball mold. the sprue is soo small. i have to search for it.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Load 'em and shoot 'em. People worry too much about all of this - our ancestors shot cast round balls cast in "bag molds" where the sprue was removed with the cutter on the handles - none were "perfect" - but they put meat on the table nonetheless.

If you're going to really worry about it . . . roll 'em between two steel plates. I have many round ball molds - all different makes - some cast leaving a slight sprue, some cast leaving a light "flat"where the sprue is when cut off - all shoot just fine.

Boolit Master

When I shot round balls with a sprue I always shot them with the sprue on the bottom. I did try a few with the sprue up but I could see little difference in accuracy. I like to seat them on the bottom so that the cup on the ramrod sits on a rounded edge. Does that make a big difference---not really. Just more of a habit with me. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Bub
    i load with the sprue up so that when i use my ball starter it will round the sprue more round when pushing in the ball plus it's the only spot with marks on the ball!

Boolit Master
    mine I set a glass plate down, set a handful of balls on it, set another glass plate on top and "wax on" motion

Banned

sprue up or down, just not sideways. though i prefer jeff tanner brass moulds, i have lee ball molds that have that "tangential cut off", but that also goes up or down as well.

and i prefer greased patch strips, cut off at the muzzle ... or ball boards.

Boolit Master
    Load with sprue up and don't worry about it.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master
    Sprue up and the ram rod fixes sprue issues.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    sprue up or down, just not sideways. though i prefer jeff tanner brass moulds, i have lee ball molds that have that "tangential cut off", but that also goes up or down as well.

and i prefer greased patch strips, cut off at the muzzle ... or ball boards.
    up works ---I never tried down - cast boolit shooters tell ya that damage to the base is more important than to the nose so that became my logic I guess - good cast ball has shot as good or better than swaged stuff for me - got a 54 cal mold with a distinct sprue (Lyman I think) that shoots nice. Won me a traditional rifle aggregate at a major shoot this Easter

never found ball boards to be an advantage other than speeding things up a bit on the line - they work for that - but I think I had more trouble with patches and ball skewey using the board than loading straight at the muzzle

Always used pre cut round patches - thought if I got a knife sharp enough to cut a patch on the muzzle - proly gonna slice my finger just at the most inconvenient time - but - back to basics - I always cut one patch at the muzzle then pull that ball to get the ideal size for precut patches - lots of guys use patches that are too small to be easy and consistent loading - but - too big wont shoot right either.

Loading a patched ball evenly is real important no matter which method is used .

Banned
    loading it straight up makes it easy to verify its actually pointed up and not canted to the side.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember the teaching of a wise man: The sprue is there on the ball so you know where the front of it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast