RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: building a rifle

Boolit Master

building a rifle

I am in the process of building a half stock 50 cal. percussion rifle, next will be a flintlock. I have a Rice 40 cal. 42 inch barrel that is 13/16 in dia. The rifle will be very plain but I do have a stunning piece of curly maple. The board is a little thin at 1 3/4 in but if I make it a slim rifle it will work, I've done it before, just not much room for error. I picked it up at a furniture factory I worked at close to 30 years ago and have had it tucked away ever since.

Not knowing a lot about flintlocks I am undecided on a lock but would like one of good quality. I think something late period flintlock and being a slim rifle not overly large. I am not hung up on the historically correct part as I sort of do my own thing but do understand that some things just work better together. Is there any difference in between the Davis, L&R or Chambers locks and what style might go best with the 13/16 barrel.

Dave

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I recommend the Chambers. Good geometry.
    Any you get will need a bit of tuning for best performance. As for style, it will depend on the rifle you are building. Personal preference also comes in. The last rifle I built was a Poor Boy. I just used what I had laying around in the shop, so ended up with an old musket lock, and forged the other parts I needed. I really like it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

These folks have some pics of slender rocklock locks:

https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupp...&product=Locks

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Waksupi, a poor boy is what I am building, my last rifle was the same. I used a Dixie lock that I had for years, it's OK but I want a better one on this rifle. There is a lot of work building a rifle, I don't to waste my time on a cheep lock.

I have read what Dixon wrote and whatever else I could find on the poor boy rifle and I like the idea. Using a musket lock on one makes perfect sense. I imagine a lot of rifles were made using whatever was on hand or out of necessity so an out of place lock was probably not uncommon. I also like the uncluttered look of the poor boy.

Pietro, I was looking on the site you posted. There is a Chambers lock with a bronze plate. The Ketland is out of stock but seems they have a Queen Ann with a bronze plate, says it's for a pistol or small rifle. That thing really slapped me in the face, I haven't seen that before.

Dave

Boolit Master
    For something the size of what you are building an L&R Manton lock would look good.

Boolit Grand Master

On my Southern Mountain I used a L&R Egg lock.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

The lock you choose will, of course, depend on whether the maker has that particular style of lock. For quality I'd list Chambers #1 with L&R and Davis at #2. Very fine rifles have been built with all three of these makes.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Bub
    i am doing a dixie deluxe cub in 36 caliber flintlock from dixie gun works! I just started this finishing kit yesterday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 36 caliber.jpg   squirrel rifle kit.jpg