WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Recommended boolit size for pre 64 win 94 carbines ?

Boolit Buddy

Recommended boolit size for pre 64 win 94 carbines ?

Just starting to cast for the 30-30 and 30 Rem .
    I probably need to buy a few more H&I size dies for .30 but would like to narrow the field a bit first .
    Were winchester bbls fairly consistent as to bore diameter ?
    Hows about Remington M 14 bbls in .30 Rem ?
    Boolit is the 311 291 .
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Did you slug your barrel yet?

Boolit Buddy
    You need to slug YOUR barrel. I could give you what mine slug out at, but yours may be different.

I shoot .309 311041 out of my 1953 model 94 with great results and zero leading of the barrel. If I had problems, leading etc. then I might slug the barrel. My mold won't drop a bullet larger than .309, so I went with it and it worked out great...

I haven't ever checked mine, but it's said that 30 Rem bores ran tight. You may for sure want to check that, it may all together take a different sizer than the 30/30.

Super Moderator

I have a Lam 2 and have sizers for .309, .310, and .311. For my M94 Carbine, I get the best accuracy with the Noe version of the 311041 sized to .311. Sometimes a little experimenting can turn up some surprises.

Lyman's test .30 Remington barrel was .306." IIRC. I used .309" in my pre- 64 30-30 with ok results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You don't need to slug your barrel. However, you do need to determine your throat diameter. That is the measurement that matters, not the groove diameter of the barrel. Size your bullet to .0005" or so under throat diameter and you're good to go. A full thousandth for a hunting load or if dirt/fouling is an issue.

Banned

I size all my .30 calibers, .30-30, .308, .300 Savage, .30-06 etc., to .311. Have had very few that liked smaller diameter bullets, most do better with the oversize. I don't slug barrels either, never been a fan of the idea of pounding something through a rifle barrel. The barrel will size it to what it likes, and as Gary said, the throat is what's most important anyway.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    You don't need to slug your barrel. However, you do need to determine your throat diameter. That is the measurement that matters, not the groove diameter of the barrel. Size your bullet to .0005" or so under throat diameter and you're good to go. A full thousandth for a hunting load or if dirt/fouling is an issue.
    THIS... Is GOLD!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In Winchester .30-30 chambers there is no cylindrical "ball seat" or throat like in a Marlin or Savage. Correct bullet diameter is determined by release clearance of the chamber mouth diameter. Best accuracy is obtained with a bullet having a tapered front driving band which will align and ease engraving of the bullet without "jump" as the the rifiling starts abruptly at the end of the chamber with only a 15 degrees, Basic transition.

The Accurate 31-155D and 31-171D bullets fit the pre-1964 Winchester chambers and will engrave the fore-part of the bullet with some resistance as you close the lever. Sizing .311" works best if they chamber without resistance.

Attachment 241054Attachment 241055Attachment 241056Attachment 241057
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Outpost- has that bullet ever pulled out when unloading an unfired round?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Outpost- has that bullet ever pulled out when unloading an unfired round?

Nope. But with caveat that cases be full-length resized, trimmed to uniform length, lightly expanded with Lyman M-die and roll crimped, not excessively, but uniformly. Also would add, NOT using hard alloy, as you wouldn't get action closed. 50-50 lead-COWW + 2% tin, 27.5 IMR4064 load with 1 grain Dacron fill does not lead, but blows grape-sized exit in deer, groups like factory ammo.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I do not disagree with any of the tips given, but I found when shooting 30-30 Winchesters I could get pretty good accuracy just loading and using 309 bullets without slugging. Slugging is something I would do if they did not work. I also liked a lube like Lees Liquid Alox to prevent leading. I admit that slugging the throat and other measures work and are excellent ideas, but the bullets and loads I sued shot well. Bullets made for the 30-30 are designed to fit. Bullets made for other 30 cal CF's may not.

DEP

311291 sized to .311 in a WW case and chambers in my pre-64 94 while it feeds wonderful. It’s too tight in my son’s 1976 94 with FC brass so those will get sized to .309.

Boolit Master
    Very useful info, Outpost, especially the field peformance.