Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Anyone have one of the new Henry single shot rifles in 30-30?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Anyone have one of the new Henry single shot rifles in 30-30?

Title says all - looking for anyone who might have one of the new Henry single shots in 30-30. If so - your thoughts on it - are you shooting cast and if so - what boolit weights - how's your accuracy - are you using the iron sights or scoped, etc.

I've read all of he "first impressions", etc. - heavy trigger pull and fix for it, etc. so let's not rehash all of that.

Specifically looking for information on the 30-30 and in particular, cast boolit load experiences and whether you are satisfied with the accuracy, etc.

Looking for your thoughts on the 30-30 version as I know a younger fella who is interested in one for general plinking and for use in hunting. I reload 30-30 and am hoping to get him interested in that as well.

Thnks.

Boolit Master
    A friend has one, and I put a Nikon 3x9x40 prostaff on it for him, and changed out the hammer spring, it now has about a 3 1/2 # trigger, with a solid glitch or two stage then it breaks nice, can easily live with it. With some Federal 150 gr and 170 gr Wal mart cheap stuff, it would shoot between 3/4" and 1" groups for 5 shots, In a nice round pattern. With some Lee 170 grs I cast up and tumble lubed, and gaschecked them, it would shoot between 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" group. All the shooting was done at 100yds. The cast bullets were roughly in a line, up and down, this was probably due to not sorting them by weight, and a hard alloy. These were cast out of an unknown alloy, and if a person did due diligence in sorting them by weight, maybe a little softer lead, such as wheel weights and trying different powder's I am sure the accuracy could be improved upon. I think he was shooting 13 or 14 grains of Unique powder. He did show me a group he shot at home at 50 yds that was vertical ragged hole, with all 8 shots overlapping up and down, no paper between them about 3/4". I have a .223 and .243, and with J word loads they shoot between a 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds, both with 3x9x40 scopes, I cant shoot anything much better than that with this power scope.
    Last edited by koger; 05-05-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks koger for the report - sounds like the rifle will do everything that the young fellows want's it to do. I don't load j words for my 30-30s but it would be no biggie if he wanted some loaded - would get his feet wet as far as reloading goes. Since I'm shooting mine in lever guns (winchester 94 Ranger and early Marlin 336SC) most of my molds are flat nose. I shoot quite a few 115 gr. with Red Dot for general plinking but have a couple of heavier grain molds that I can cast some up for him - will have to dig and see if I have any RN molds stuck away anywhere. I have a couple of the springs for doing the trigger that I bought from another member on here that had to buy a bag of 8 of to do his rifle so I'm sure that would be a good thing to do on the rifle and get the trigger pull lighter - I haven't really paid attention to the threads so see if Henry has addressed the heavy trigger pull problem or not. If the young fella decides to go ahead and order one, I may order one as well as it looks like it would be a fun plinker to try different bolts in - not sure how well I'd do with the iron sights as my eyes are old and not the best but putting a scope on one would certainly help with the issue of old eyes!

Thanks again - greatly appreciate your kind response and the information!