Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Inserts

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

Inserts

Anyone know where to get inserts for a 12 gauge to convert to rifle or pistol caliber. Want them 18 inches or so. Had a link and my tablet died and lost it . Been looking all day but struck out. I have seen on ebay but they don't have the selection of the site i had.

Boolit Master

Chiappa x-caliber, rifled but not 18”.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Yes i saw those but i had a page bookmarked that had 18 inch ones . Wanted to make a double rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Yes i saw those but i had a page bookmarked that had 18 inch ones . Wanted to make a double rifle.
    Check on eBay a search by the name of chaszel shotgun adapters

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 05-02-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Watching. Double rifle 18" barrel inserts would fit just right in 20 ga or 12 ga sxs!

Hey thanks jedman thats what i was looking for. I appreciate the help from all. Now the project can begin.

Thats the site for pistol calibers any one know where to get rifle inserts i have seen the 7and 8 inch ones but again looking for 18+ inch. Thanks.

Don't know what rifle calibers you were looking for but most can't be used safely in a shotgun.
    Most single barrel and double barrel shotguns have receivers that are cast and not forged or hi strength steel. You might be able to find some in 30-30 but not 308, 30-06 or any high pressure rounds.
    I do have a SXS double rifle in 45-70 that I built from a 12 ga. Double but I stubbed in rifle barrels and bushed the firing pins and it was a hi quality action with a upper cross bolt and double lower locking lugs.
    A double shotgun with 18" adapters maybe quite accurate but maybe not to he same point of aim at longer ranges.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 05-03-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember a kit that was meant for a specific Baikal coach gun, that would place 2 45-70 sub barrels inside the 12 gauge. It had threads on the forward part of the barrels, meant for a pair of nuts that tightened them in. It produced a very heavy double rifle. That is the only rifle caliber kit I have have heard of. It did not sell well and has been long discontinued.

If you wanted to do the same today, that is basically a custom gunsmith job. It does not sound complex, but that is deceiving. Just the barrels alone would be several hundred dollars, and then you have to somehow get them the right diameter at the chamber. I cannot imagine any gunsmith willing to do this in any other cartridge than the 45-70 or perhaps the 30-30. It would be a very expensive experiment.

Gunadapters.com offers up to .44 magnum (I think) but some of their inserts are smooth bore. For rifled 8” tubes, they offer .44 special, or .45 colt. Those are the most powerful short rifle carriages I know of that are offered in a rifled inset form.

I was actually looking for something in the 30-30 range or maybe 45/70 lighter loads. Although 45 colt +p data looks like its in the ballpark of what i am looking for.

I didn't use the word "inserts", but when I googled " 18" rifled adaptors for 12ga shotgun barrels for sale", I found these:

https://picclick.com/Rifled-12-Gauge...478960681.html

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Yes i did see those thanks .

Jedman thanks for the tip. Ordered 3 today.

20 ga to 9mm
    12 ga to .357
    and .410 to .32sw long.

I recently bought a 16 ga. break action single shot and ordered a pre chambered 6" blank from chaszel off of eBay. I cut the barrel down to 20 1/2" and added a pair of iron sights that came off a handi rifle. I removed all of the ejector parts to keep if I ever want to shoot 16 ga. Shells again in the barrel. The pre chambered blank is in 45acp and is 7/8" dia. so it's large enough to use in 12 ga. And smaller barrels. I took accurate measurements of the bore dia. Chamber front to back and rim recess. I lathe turned the blank to fit very close to the shotgun barrel to where I had to tap it in the final 3/4" with a soft blow hammer. I am just making a finger cut at the breech to extract the fired cases from the adapter. I had it almost ready to fire yesterday but the firing pin was sticky so I knocked it out and found it was bent badly so I quickly turned a new one from a piece of drill rod I had and when I went to install it it was to snug to slip into the receiver so I used the hammer on the reciever to push it in and found the bore in the receiver for the firing pin is crooked. When I tapped the new pin out that I made it was bent also. So now I will have to somehow get that straightened out before I can fire the gun.
    I have used different blanks from this seller chaszel and they have all been good quality and shot well. I have never bought a pre made adapter but if it has at least 4" of rifled barrel and can be held snug to the bore with O rings it should shoot well.

Jedman

What i would give to have a shop so i didn't have to do everything by hand. I really wanted at least 18 inch to take advantage of preformance. Was leaning toward 45 long colt. The +p performance looks impressive in pistol. But can't find anything on the pressure of these rounds. Don't want to get carried away.

Red Bear, The chamber adapters thereselves are thick enough that 45 Colt + p shouldn't be a problem but depending on the shotgun your using it in the primers may start to flow into the firing pin hole thru the standing breech then it will be hard to open after firing.
    I don't know the actual Saami spec for the 45 Colt +p but in a strong pistol or a handi rifle with a SB 2 frame 45 Colt can be loaded to pressures similar to the 454 and 460 but that is way above the + p level. As long as your handloading the ammo you will know when you have reached the limit that you go when your primers start to flow. That's assuming the shotgun is a standard large diameter firing pin ( .100 or larger ).

Jedman

Yes what i saw looked like it was really close to the 454 i feel that is to much. Most likely the shotgun i will use will be quite old so may just have to stick with the standard 45 loads or close. Really wanted double exposed hammer gun. I have seen a few at a decent price but looking for a good price just have to wait.