WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22LR Boltgun recomendations

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the CZ 452, but I have never handled the 455 or 457. If you do not like the trigger guard on the 452 you can get a more pleasing to the eye trigger guard. Also if you can find a really clean Brno (the company before the name CZ) you might like it a lot. Someone on this site was offering a CZ Super Brno for sale. This is a very nice rifle if you want the longer barrel. I do not think you have a chance of finding a 453 for $500. Lots of people report their CZ likes Wolf ammo which is about $6 a box. Wolf changed their place of manufacture a bit ago. I have not tried the new production.

The wood on a 452 is better than it appears with the CZ finish on it. I have seen some stripped and refinished. They can be beautiful. Sometimes the triggers are excellent right out of the box and if not a simple Yo Dave trigger job (www.rimfirecentral.com) can bring it into shape for about $20 or less.

i warn you that acquiring one CZ is the start of wanting another. Currently the 457 Youth Version in 223 is being closed out and can be had for about $440. This is a steal. The rifle reminds me of the Mannlicher 1903 in feel. For a moment the 457 full stocks were being closed out and sold cheap, but they appear to have been sold. The prices have been going up.

The 452 American will require optics. Others like the full stock will have iron sights and one can mount a scope if desired. The 452 full stock will sell for a premium if you can find one. A NIB 452 American might be challenging to find.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would love to see Henry make a full size, mag fed bolt action .22. My H001T is very accurate for a $300.00 rifle.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

CZ45(x)

Get ANYTHING ..but a cz..
    Just don't buy. CZ .
    Trust me. CZ I had was horrible.

Boolit Master
    Buckweet, could you provide a little more detail therr??? You seem to have had notably different experience than most. I have never had a rimfire CZ but the 547s I have owned were better than anything else of like features.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Buckweet, could you provide a little more detail therr??? You seem to have had notably different experience than most. I have never had a rimfire CZ but the 547s I have owned were better than anything else of like features.

Oh , it' was a 452 American..
    Simply put a lemon.
    EVERY manufacturer makes a lemon once in a while.
    Mine was terrible. Sticky bolt . Extremely hard to operate safety. Bad crown. Stock was chipping.
    Plain vanilla wood.
    Terrible trigger.
    I messed with it and messed with it. Took it back to the CZ service center several times.
    They even thought it was a poor example.
    Finally I just simply have it away to my SIL for a garden gun.
    It all Rusty and nasty now out in their shed.
    I couldn't be happier 😄😄😄😄

"simply gave it away"****

Banned
    This thread has been going on for a few months now so let me toss in my $0.02 worth.

The most productive method to reduce the group size of any .22 Rimfire rifle, is to find which ammo the rifle likes.

As for the OP's question about a recommendation for a .22 bolt gun - I would have to say the CZ's are hard to beat for the price.

Some of the older Remington's are good values. I had a Remington 541-T that was a tack driver with the ammo it like (Standard velocity Remington target), traded it for a heavy barrel version of the same rifle. The heavy barrel 541-T doesn't shoot any better but it sure is heavy Oh well, one of my mistakes in life.

Some of the old Remington 500 series guns were very good despite their low cost. IF you can find one that wasn't abused by poor cleaning technique or just plain neglect; they can be incredibly good values.

Some of the old Browning T-bolt's shot very well. More of a straight pull than a bolt but I'll include it in this list.

The Winchester model 52's (there were several variants) were once excellent rifles but they are mostly overpriced these days and that's assuming you can find one that is in good condition AND reasonably priced.

For a new rifle I think one of the CZ models would be my first choice.

I wouldn't buy anything CZ... But that's me.
    I do like the older Remington and Marlin's.
    Stick with the older American made stuff you'll be fine.

Banned
    What's wrong with CZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    What's wrong with CZ?

Everything..
    I bought a bad one.
    Left a bad taste.
    Don't care for CZ.. won't never own one again.
    But ? Having said that, if you want one ...go for it.
    Some people actually like them.. why ?
    I have no idea.
    Lol
    I like my 10/22s much better.
    Way more accurate than a cz.

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    CZ's have a reputation for accuracy but the triggers are not brilliant.
    The Tikka has a brilliant trigger, guaranteed accuracy and the ability to change stocks as it uses the T3X stock platform. If you want a full size rifle then this is worth considering.
    Depending on what you want it for. Is weight an issue is accuracy paramount. all that

With rimfire you may need to try a dozen different ammos to find the one that shoots best. Just like you may need to try a dozen different loads in a centrefire.

Boolit Grand Master

The sporter CZs, Rugers, Savages, Winchester and previous Remington s are all nice and many shoot very well. However, the Remington M504 22LR is a very well made 22LR and mine is the best shooting, most accurate 22LR sporter I've ever had. It's also the best looking. Unfortunately it was discontinued a few years back but maybe one could be found.

Attachment 246354
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    Remington is completely out of the high end 22 game. Which is a shame because they did make good 22 rifles for a time.

Boolit Master
    Mine is a 17 HMR but the CZ is an amazing rifle. I have the 455 varmint that I posted pictures of before. I added a Timney trigger that is just awesome.
    I set up 7 of the 17 HMR cases on my target. Then I set up 3 nickles on edge. I had a 5 MPH wind and my target was 50 yards.
    I shot 14 times to hit all the targets, and the ones I missed were just off by thousands of an inch, Windage was killing me. I was not able to find one of the nickles.
    I am impressed with the CZ455 varmint.

Banned
    This is the one I would buy if I were in the market for a bolt 22lr.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    Last summer I bought the Tupperware version of the Ruger American Rimfire, and it continues to be a favorite. I can't believe they can make a rifle that shoots that well for $300
    Yep, and it's even sweeter when you find a used one with finish wear but an excellent bore for under $200.00. I made a thread about it, going to give it some exercise this weekend.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123